You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-25 06:41

foyle

Gemini installation query

Hi
Its been a while since Ive posted nonetheless Im not totally new to Q4OS. I had Scorpion and now have Centaurus on an old laptop which runs like a dream on it. Therefore Im not a newbie but then im not an expert so wanted to ask a question with regard to installing Gemini on a PC that i use as a test machine but eventually want my 11 year old son to experiment a little and try and introduce him to Linux. The PC has two hard drives, a SSD with Windows 10 and a conventional hard drive that is partitioned into two. One partition serves as a data drive to store all the Documents etc...from the Win 10 OS. The other partition I want to install Q4OS on. My question how do I install Q4OS onto the partioned drive and where do i install Grub on the SSD ? Been a while since Ive installed linux so memory a bit rusty! Ive attached a image of the installation process i get to where im not too sure where to proceed to. Do i install using "install alongside" , "replace a partition" or "manual partitioning"? And where do install Grub again on the SSD with windows 10 on (MBR)? Sorry like i say its been a while since ive messed around with a Linux distro, so come to a blank!
Thanks in advance for any info or help its much appreciated.
p.s. looks like i accidentally posted twice as well by mistake! sad

foyle

Last edited by foyle (2020-04-25 06:48)

Attachments:
jpg screen 1.jpg, Size: 244.22 KiB, Downloads: 445

#2 2020-04-27 18:24

foyle

Re: Gemini installation query

Seeing though I havent had a reply as yet I decided to go ahead and install on the HD partition with grub configured to install on the MBR ssd (has win 10 on it) and just as I feared Q4OS installed on the hard drive but does not boot into grub just the SSD with Win 10 on it?! Any thoughts, like I say not a newbie but been a long time and being in my mid 50s my memory isnt what it used to be!

#3 2020-04-28 08:34

Dai_trying

Gemini is a testing version and might not be suitable for production use, I think the best advise would be to use the Stable Centaurus version to reduce any problems arising from packages that have not been fully tested yet (including the installer).

I (like most users) do not currently use the testing branch so cannot offer advice for that, if you need "bleeding edge" software (the most common reason for people using testing images) then maybe you should think a little more about the OS you want to install. You will likely get more help with your questions if there are many users to offer advice/tips/support, which Gemini doesn't currently have (because it is still being tested at the moment).

#4 2020-04-29 06:50

foyle

Thanks for the reply, totally understand that Gemini is still in it testing phase, but the whole point was to set it up for my son to mess around with on a dual boot machine, he has a Raspberry Pi as well so wants to get into software programming a little. I have tried out lots of distros believe me, currently I've got Bunsenlabs on a desktop, Q4OS Centaurus on a laptop and Gemini on another desktop (not dual boot one) .In the past have installed and tried out Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, KDE Neon, Puppy, Elementary, Porteus, Solus, Antix, Mepis, MX among others, but the one I keep going back to is Q4Os as its worked flawlessly on any machine I have put it on along with Bunsenslab they are the quickest and most stable I've tried. The other main reasons I wanted to try Gemini out is I've never tried a testing version of any distro and had an old spare PC lying round to experiment with.In any case I will persevere with Gemini as I'm not going to give up! Thanks again for the reply again its much appreciated. I look forward to messing around a bit more with Gemini and trying to put it on a dual boot machine.

Last edited by foyle (2020-04-29 06:50)

#5 2020-04-29 07:33

Dai_trying

If your system is UEFI then you should point the grub installation to the EFI partition and it will add a boot option for Debian (and Windows) for grub, if on the other hand you are using an MBR boot system (BIOS) or using CMS option in UEFI then you should install grub to the main disc (i.e. /dev/sda)

Once installed either way after installing (and/or updating) grub you should have all the OS's listed by grub.

#6 2020-04-29 10:41

foyle

Dai_trying, Cheers for the info, its sort of confirmed what I was thinking but its not playing ball at the minute, will try a few things to work round the snags im encountering. Thanks again.

Board footer