You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-31 16:34

wove

Using on Raspberry Pi and am impressed.

I am not sure where I found mention of Q4OS, but came to the site and found an image for the Raspberry Pi, which I proceeded to install.

I was confused by the the user mode selector thing and installed every piece of software known to man. So I started over and this time selected a more minimal install. I used Synaptic to install Kontact, Akregator, and Basket. That along with Kwrite is about all I really need. It has been a long time since I have seen Konqueror browser. My memories of Konqueror as a Browser are not fond memories, but it appears its kinks have been sorted out and it is fast and efficient.

Q4OS runs very well on the Raspberry Pi. The install, which is really just copying an img to an SD card was straight forward and quick. I had no trouble importing my calendars, contacts and newsfeeds. Resource usage is impressively low.  I think Synaptic has always been a nice easy to use software manager, and I am familiar with apt.

I find the styling, themeing to be somewhat bizzare. The vibe of "hello it is 2003" is a bit jarring, when everything else I use is in a more contemporary style. That is all a matter of personal taste, and in some respects it is nice to buck the trend of style over substance.

Overall though the developers and contributers are to be congratulated, this is a very usable, functional, fluid system on a very low spec machine. Thanks for all your efforts.

bill

#2 2019-12-31 19:20

JimW

Re: Using on Raspberry Pi and am impressed.

If you want something with a bit more power than Konqueror you might want to install Firefox from the repository. Or Pale Moon. Not sure if it's in the repository or not, but instructions to install it can be found here in the forum.

#3 2020-01-01 18:15

wove

I found myself looking for a eatable cookie recipe which took me to some big click bait site and Konqueror would not even load it. I did install Firefox, which I use on other devices. Konqueror is much lighter on resources though and quicker as well.

I have noticed that for ARM devices Chromium seems the preferred browser, in fact Q4OS suggests it as an install. Does Chromium just do better on ARM than Firefox?

bill

#4 2020-01-03 14:23

rafaelramos

wove wrote:

I am not sure where I found mention of Q4OS, but came to the site and found an image for the Raspberry Pi, which I proceeded to install.

I was confused by the the user mode selector thing and installed every piece of software known to man. So I started over and this time selected a more minimal install. I used Synaptic to install Kontact, Akregator, and Basket. That along with Kwrite is about all I really need. It has been a long time since I have seen Konqueror browser. My memories of Konqueror as a Browser are not fond memories, but it appears its kinks have been sorted out and it is fast and efficient.

Q4OS runs very well on the Raspberry Pi. The install, which is really just copying an img to an SD card was straight forward and quick. I had no trouble importing my calendars, contacts and newsfeeds. Resource usage is impressively low.  I think Synaptic has always been a nice easy to use software manager, and I am familiar with apt.

I find the styling, themeing to be somewhat bizzare. The vibe of "hello it is 2003" is a bit jarring, when everything else I use is in a more contemporary style. That is all a matter of personal taste, and in some respects it is nice to buck the trend of style over substance.

Overall though the developers and contributers are to be congratulated, this is a very usable, functional, fluid system on a very low spec machine. Thanks for all your efforts.

bill

Hi @wove, welcome!

Really the Q4OS is fantastic on Raspberry Pi, and it was precisely looking for a lightweight, beautiful and functional system for RPi that I had my first contact with Q4OS and since then it was love at first sight!

So much so that today I also use the x64 version on my working laptop.

Of the many systems I've tested for RPi2 and RPi3, none come close to Q4OS in performance!

Now I look forward to buying the new version of Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of RAM to get Q4OS to run on it... I believe we will have a true desktop with excellent performance with this RPi4 + Q4OS suite.

Greetings!

#5 2020-01-03 16:51

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

rafaelramos wrote:

Now I look forward to buying the new version of Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of RAM to get Q4OS to run on it...

Reporting Q4OS on RaspberryPi 4 experience would be appreciated.

Board footer