You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-08 07:07

PetarSerbia

VirtualBox

$ sudo qrepoadd --gui
pick 'virtualbox' repository from drop-down to add it into Q4OS
This is on Q4OS 2.x... and it is so easy.
For TeamViewer same.

Why not work something like this on Q4OS 3.7?
Thanks.

#2 2019-08-08 10:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: VirtualBox

We would strongly recommend you to use Q4OS 3.8 stable instead. "3.7" is a testing version. "sudo qrepoadd --gui" Virtualbox just works in "3.8".

#3 2019-08-08 14:40

cjoliprsf

q4osteam wrote:

"sudo qrepoadd --gui" Virtualbox just works in "3.8".

Yes that command works in 3.8, however I got an error with the following command "sudo apt install virtualbox"
Got a msg saying no version of the virtualbox package is available, although it exists in the database, and some additional bla-bla.

Also tried it in a VM running 2.7, and got the following (is there a bug maybe?):

claude@q4os-desktop:~/Bureau$ sudo qrepoadd --gui
building cache, wait a moment please ...
No protocol specified
kdialog: cannot connect to X server :0.0
canceled, exiting ..

P.S.
The above occured as I was running the Mate desktop - I opened a Trinity session, and the command worked fine. Any reason it doesn't work with the Mate desktop?

#4 2019-08-08 15:05

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

No such package "virtualbox" exists in the Virtualbox repository. You need to install either "virtualbox-5.2" or "virtualbox-6.0" package. You also need to update apt database prior issuing install command.

We can confirm the "sudo qrepoadd --gui" command doesn't work in Mate desktop. This is a bug, we will investigate that and fix as soon as possible.

#5 2019-08-08 16:07

cjoliprsf

q4osteam wrote:

No such package "virtualbox" exists in the Virtualbox repository. You need to install either "virtualbox-5.2" or "virtualbox-6.0" package. You also need to update apt database prior issuing install command.

OK!
However, the extension pack doesn't get installed by this command.
Is there a way to install extension pack other than downloading from VirtualBox website?

#6 2019-08-08 18:00

cjoliprsf

Additional comment on virtual box extension pack.
I downloaded it from the virtualbox website but when trying to install, it didn't work because of some permission denied.
Solution was to open a terminal and open virtualbox as root
sudo virtualbox

Then in virtualbox, the extencion pack installed without problem.

I think this is not normal. Usually, the extension pack installs without need for root privilege.

#7 2019-09-14 19:55

Jerome

I successfully installed Vbox 6 but am getting an error when trying to install an OS to it, it's asking me to run /sbin/vboxconfig. When I do that I get these messages :

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: You must sign these kernel modules before using VirtualBox:
  vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp vboxpci
See the documenatation for your Linux distribution..
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
No DKMS packages installed: not changing Secure Boot validation state.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Jerome (2019-09-14 19:55)

#8 2019-09-15 10:11

Jerome

So nobody has had this problem with virtualbox??

#9 2019-09-16 20:28

Dai_trying

Do you have the package dkms installed? I use qemu-kvm now for Virtual Machines now and have not used Virtualbox in quite a while, but I do recall having similar problems.
I would install module-assistant and run

sudo m-a prepare

to ensure I have everything required for building the kernels (this might also install dkms anyway), and then try running

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

again to see if that fixes it.

#10 2019-09-16 22:44

cjoliprsf

Jerome wrote:

I successfully installed Vbox 6 but am getting an error when trying to install an OS to it, it's asking me to run /sbin/vboxconfig. When I do that I get these messages :

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: You must sign these kernel modules before using VirtualBox:
  vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp vboxpci
See the documenatation for your Linux distribution..
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
No DKMS packages installed: not changing Secure Boot validation state.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

I don't really understand...
It would be easier if you were more specific as to how/when you get such messages. In the host or in the guest?

#11 2019-09-17 20:50

Jerome

Dai_trying wrote:

Do you have the package dkms installed? I use qemu-kvm now for Virtual Machines now and have not used Virtualbox in quite a while, but I do recall having similar problems.
I would install module-assistant and run

sudo m-a prepare

to ensure I have everything required for building the kernels (this might also install dkms anyway), and then try running

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

again to see if that fixes it.

Hi Dai, thanks for the advice, unfortunately after doing what you suggest (first installing dkms) I'm still getting error messages. I might give qemu a try; did you have many problems setting it up?

Last edited by Jerome (2019-09-17 20:50)

#12 2019-09-17 20:54

Jerome

cjoliprsf wrote:

I don't really understand...
It would be easier if you were more specific as to how/when you get such messages. In the host or in the guest?

I'm getting the messages after clicking START, so I've already created the virtualdrive, etc for Windows XP and loaded the ISO, it's only when I try to run (install) the OS that I get the messages (which come from VirtualBox), and then installation fails.

Last edited by Jerome (2019-09-17 20:55)

#13 2019-09-17 21:05

Dai_trying

I am quite an experience Linux user and found QEMU/KVM does have a steeper learning curve than VirtualBox, but the benefits outweighed the extra work (IMO) so I found it worth while, if you want an easy to follow installation guide there is a YouTube video I found useful here and Chris has another video for creating VM's which is worth a watch too.

If you want to continue with VirtualBox you should follow the other part of my suggestion(install module-assistant, run m-a prepare, and then re-run /sbin/vboxconfig), and then you might need to reboot to implement the changes (I can't remember if I had to but I usually do when changing anything to do with the kernel or modules).

#14 2019-09-17 21:26

cjoliprsf

Jerome wrote:

I'm getting the messages after clicking START, so I've already created the virtualdrive, etc for Windows XP and loaded the ISO, it's only when I try to run (install) the OS that I get the messages (which come from VirtualBox), and then installation fails.

For my part I have never seen this problem. And I have been using VirtualBox extensively for many years, under Windows and Linux hosts, and with almost all versions of Windows (from ME to 7) as well as a number of Linux distros as guests...

Have you installed the extension pack that goes with your version of VirtualBox? If not this could be in cause, and you should download it from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Make sure you match the version (if you don't run 6.0.12, then go to older builds here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds) and get the right extension pack for your version of VB.
Then to install it, load VB and go to Menu / File / Parameters / extensions tab; add new extension, and select the file you downloaded.
Last time I did this, I had some permission problem and needed to load VirtualBox with sudo before being able to install the pack.

If that doesn't work, I would try to uninstall and reinstall...

Board footer