You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-15 21:16

Dai_trying

[SOLVED] Centaurus installer fails to boot

I just tried to re-install Centaurus after wiping my laptop and the installation froze, I thought I might have burned the image wrong so re-wrote it to the USB stick and tried again, same result. I tried another USB stick in case the one I was using could be faulty and it failed again at exactly same stage in the process. I can use another tty so the machine is not frozen but startx from another tty froze that tty too.
The messages I am left with (on tty7) are :-

[  OK  ] Started Disk Manager.
                              [  OK  ] Started Network Manager Wait Online.
                                                                           [  OK  ] Reached target Network is Online.
                                                                                                                              Starting LSB: disk temperature monitoring da
emon...
       [  OK  ] Started LSB: disk temperature monitoring daemon.
                                                                [  OK  ] Reached target Multi-User System.
                                                                                                          [  OK  ] Reached target Graphical Interface.
                                                                                                                                                               Starting Up
date UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
                                          [  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
                                                                                                     _

I also noticed the Q4OS image was around 35 - 40Mb smaller than the previous ones (3.5.r1 and 3.5.r2) I did verify (as always) using the md5sum and everything was ok.

Machine info (from another installation) :-

Machine:   Type: Portable System: Dell product: Inspiron 15-3552 v: 4.4.0 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0T14MC v: A00 serial: <root required> UEFI: Dell v: 4.4.0 date: 03/06/2018 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Pentium N3700 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           Speed: 480 MHz min/max: 480/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 491 2: 486 3: 647 4: 546 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 405 (Braswell) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio 
           driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-5-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 94:53:30:3d:09:15 
           Device-2: Atheros type: USB driver: btusb 

I can install from one of the other images if I need to but thought this might affect others too. If there is any additional info required please ask.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2019-06-16 22:31)

#2 2019-06-16 19:13

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Centaurus installer fails to boot

Yes, we are highly interested to check this issue. As we are not able to reproduce that so far, we would appreciate, if you would perform a little debugging. Please boot the live media and run the installation using the command from konsole:
$ install-debian 2>&1 | tee /tmp/installq4os.log
Once the install process freezes, please attach, or e-mail, the following files:
/tmp/installq4os.log
/tmp/q4hook1.log
/tmp/q4hook2.log
/tmp/q4hook3.log

#3 2019-06-16 20:09

Dai_trying

I tried running the installer but it fails and the screen output is in the log-file but it appears to be due to having no xorg.conf which is the same problem I had after updating to the 4.19.0.4 kernel (mentioned in this post)

I will try to add an xorg.conf file to the live session and see it it fixes it.

installq4os.log attached:

#4 2019-06-16 20:43

Dai_trying

I tried adding xorg.conf to the live system but I cannot see a way do stop the attempted GUI login, I used the following procedure when I couldn't log-in to my fresh Buster (Xfce) install :-

1. Switch to console mode: Ctrl+Alt+F1

2. Kill x server:

sudo service lightdm stop
  3. Generate new xorg.conf file:

sudo X -configure

This will create xorg.conf.new file in your current directory.

4. Rename and move:

sudo mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  5. Return to GUI:

sudo start lightdm

But obviously Q4OS doesn't use lightdm and I could not stop/start tdm in the same way, if you know of a way to do this with Q4OS I think it would solve it for me. I am guessing it is a problem with the kernel and i915 graphics, possibly only a specific subset of it although I could not guess any cure without re-building the kernel...

#5 2019-06-16 20:58

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Q4OS uses "tdm" display manager, so you can stop/start it this way:
$ sudo systemctl stop tdm.service

EDIT: We don't request the log files more, as we have the ones from the previous topic. Anyway, thanks for the report.

Last edited by q4osteam (2019-06-16 21:01)

#6 2019-06-16 22:29

Dai_trying

Thanks guys, that worked and I had to do it again after the installation before I could get to the desktop but got there in the end. This is NOT a Q4OS bug but a Debian one, or more specifically I think it is the kernel, I will have a look on bug tracker to see if it is there already and if not I will file a bug report with Debian. Thanks for the tip smile

Board footer