You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-26 22:18

schustdj
Member
Registered: 2019-03-26
Posts: 3

2 problems only on 1 PC

Just got an old Samsung netbook and installed Q4OS and XPQ4 on it and am getting 2 issues just after logging in that I've not seen on other PCs:

Firstly, the mouse pointer often (but not always) disappears just after login and the only way I've found of getting it back is to use the power button to put the pc into standby and then bring it back out. The mouse still works, just can't see the pointer. Also if I don't log in straight away, the problem sometimes occurs at the login screen.

The second issue is that after login, the numlock is always applied. It's set to be off in BIOS and is not on at the login screen or on another partition with a different Linux OS. The answer I've seen most is to install numlockx, but to be effective, it needs to run at each login and I don't know how to do that.

Any help appreciated.

- Dave

Offline

#2 2019-03-26 23:37

jotapesse
Member
From: Algarve, Portugal
Registered: 2019-03-23
Posts: 67

Re: 2 problems only on 1 PC

NumLock: already answered here:

q4osteam wrote:

You can easily configure NumLock login status for TDE in Control Panel -> Peripherals -> Keyboard -> NumLock on KDE startup -> set Off/On

https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2438

Last edited by jotapesse (2019-03-26 23:37)


jotapesse - Obrigado / Thank you.

Offline

#3 2019-03-26 23:37

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,376
Website

Re: 2 problems only on 1 PC

schustdj wrote:

... the mouse pointer often (but not always) disappears just after login and the only way I've found of getting it back is to use the power button to put the pc into standby and then bring it back out. ...

That looks like a hardware related issue. We are not able to reproduce and thereafter test it. Could anyone else confirm such issue ?

schustdj wrote:

... the numlock is always applied ...

You only need to configure numlock status. Control panel > Peripherals > Keyboard > set "Numlock on TDE startup" > logout/login

Offline

#4 2019-03-26 23:59

schustdj
Member
Registered: 2019-03-26
Posts: 3

Re: 2 problems only on 1 PC

q4osteam wrote:
schustdj wrote:

... the mouse pointer often (but not always) disappears just after login and the only way I've found of getting it back is to use the power button to put the pc into standby and then bring it back out. ...

That looks like a hardware related issue. We are not able to reproduce and thereafter test it. Could anyone else confirm such issue ?

I'm inclined to agree given that it doesn't happen on other hardware, but would expect it to happen on the partition with another Linux OS, it doesn't.

schustdj wrote:

... the numlock is always applied ...

You only need to configure numlock status. Control panel > Peripherals > Keyboard > set "Numlock on TDE startup" > logout/login

That's great, thanks, don't know how I missed that setting.

Offline

#5 2019-03-27 11:43

schustdj
Member
Registered: 2019-03-26
Posts: 3

Re: 2 problems only on 1 PC

I have since found online that a better workaround for the mouse pointer issue is to press CTL-ALT-F1 then CTL-ALT-F7

Offline

#6 2019-05-09 11:58

stevedav1dson
Member
Registered: 2019-05-09
Posts: 1

Re: 2 problems only on 1 PC

I have same issue on old Samsung N210plus netbook. I'm still looking for an automated solution for the mouse pointer issue. CTL-ALT-F1 then CTL-ALT-F7 does work, but I'd like a neater solution for my kids to use this netbook easily.

Offline

#7 2019-05-09 22:26

JimW
Member
Registered: 2015-12-08
Posts: 348

Re: 2 problems only on 1 PC

You might look into xdotool (https://www.linux.org/threads/xdotool-keyboard.10528/).
I don't know if it will even compile or run on Q4OS, but it looks like you may be able to use it in a script to do what you want, if it will work.

The xdotool is a utility used from the terminal or in a script to manually perform keyboard input. The commands can also be used to make a script of many xdotool commands to perform large tasks. Later articles will cover the xdotool ability to perform mouse input as well as window and desktop manipulation.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB