You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-09 01:36

sickpig

before i commit

Hello Q4OS,

What a great OS you guys have developed, amazing. Unbelievable that something so easy and beautiful can be free. I come from windows buy am forced to migrate because it has exceeded my hardware capabilities.

I have i5, 4 gig ram and non-ssd slow as molasses hdd. Windows just by itself consumes 2gigs after booting up. thereafter browser crawls after 4 tabs. And i cant even think of opening another   browser. i would rather have open heart surgery

then i tried puppy linux. fast stable but there are video tearing issues on netflix. but for just browsing its quite mighty. i can open half a dozen browsers with heaps of tabs and the pupster still goes strong

then somehow i stumbled on q4os and it was love at first sight
so simple gui friendly it is
aesthetics are better than windows in my opinion

created a live usb
tried it for 2 hours
all worked perfect
no video tearing issues in netflix, excellent
dropbox works out of the box
so far so good

then i rebooted and checked base RAM usage, just os without opening anything
it is 1.2 gig
does that sound right?
i had thought it would be less considering that the iso is under 600mb

issues:
i opened around 10 tabs in one browser (opera) and one tab in chrome
the live usb crashed
possibly due to want of RAM?

before i install on hdd, does the above RAM usage sound correct?
on my pupster i cant go beyond 2.5 gig RAM usage no matter what I do. Not comparing. I love q4os and am thinking of making it my primary but would love your thoughts on its standard base RAM usage.

thanks

#2 2019-01-09 10:23

Dai_trying

Re: before i commit

When running the Live-Cd you might encounter issues when running many processes as it is essentially running from ram, also if you have chosen the Plasma image that would add extra memory usage too (although it is much better than it used to be). I always test new machines with the Live images but do not "hard test" for these reasons. Also the live-cd has no swap memory available so again this could cause issues when maxing out the memory usage.

If you want to test Q4OS you could install VirtualBox in Windows and create a Virtual Machine with around 10Gb storage and 1Gb RAM, this would give you a better chance to evaluate the system, bear in mind this is well below the 4Gb RAM of your hardware in order to keep the host system (Windows) running smoothly.

Or you could just "bite the bullet" and go with an install, I have an installation guide for Q4OS here which might help if you are new to it all.

#3 2019-01-10 23:44

tlmiller76

When running live, that does seem fairly normal for ram usage.  As Dai points out, you're running the entire distro from ram while live, so ram usage will be significantly elevated over an installed version.  I also don't think the Q4OS image runs compressed like the Puppy image does (I could be wrong here, I just never remember reading that it is).

Also as pointed out by Dai, the ram usage on the Plasma version will be much higher than the Trinity version, as Trinity is (IMO) the absolutely lightest, fastest linux DESKTOP (as opposed to just a window manager) that is currently developed.

Last edited by tlmiller76 (2019-01-10 23:48)

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#4 2019-01-13 23:52

sickpig

i bit the bulled and installed q4 on hdd
almost died trying whilst at it wink

trinity is great, super easy and a boon for gui junkies like me
used it seamlessly for a day. moved the panel in right vertical position. fiddled around with the clock a bit, changed its font and stuff
and then....
it crashed
no panel anymore
restarted to no avail
somehow i managed to land in terminal
and then could not exit out it

was in terminal hell. just staring at black screen not knowing what command to fire to restart the DE. I had thought restarting would reload
trinity but no

anyhoo - reinstalled q4
this time went with lxde

working rock solid so far

the biggest plus of Q4 is that it plays netflix without any video tearing
i have tried numerous distro they all have video tearing but not Q4
that does it for me
sold

#5 2019-01-14 00:15

Dai_trying

I have had many re-installs when trying things I probably shouldn't but that's half the fun, and often if you end up in a disaster situation you can change tty (alt + F1-F9) and run startx to get back in, obviously this won't always work as it really depends on how badly you have borked your system, but always worth a shot.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2019-01-14 00:16)

Board footer