You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-12 17:33

DorianDotSlash

dist-upgrade from 2.6 to 3.1?

Hello!  It's my first post here so first of all, I'd like to say how pleased I am with this distro.  It's very solid and has far better options than pure Debian.  I'm also a big fan of the initial setup applications and the autodetection of things like VirtualBox and Nvidia GPU's!  Great job!

My question as the title suggests is if 2.6 can be successfully upgraded to 3.1, or if a full reinstall is recommended?

I would guess the requirements would be to change the sources.list.d files from stretch to buster, and add q4os-3-0-cn to the 10_q4os.list file.

Does the q4os-2-0-cn have to remain or just change it to 3-0?

After this a dist-upgrade should bring everything up to the 3.1 package versions correct?  Has this been tested yet?

Thanks!

#2 2018-09-12 17:55

Dai_trying

Re: dist-upgrade from 2.6 to 3.1?

Upgrading Versions can be hit and miss and would not be advised, if you want to use 3.x then the best advice would be to install that version, the installation images are available from the Q4os Download Page (testing version is 3.x).

#3 2018-09-12 18:01

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Hi and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the great Youtube review smile

DorianDotSlash wrote:

My question as the title suggests is if 2.6 can be successfully upgraded to 3.1, or if a full reinstall is recommended?

Full reinstall is recommended. The upgrade could pass well, or not, depending on the system configuration, but it's not recommended, definitely.

DorianDotSlash wrote:

I would guess the requirements would be to change the sources.list.d files from stretch to buster, and add q4os-3-0-cn to the 10_q4os.list file.

Yes, exactly.

DorianDotSlash wrote:

Does the q4os-2-0-cn have to remain or just change it to 3-0?

You need to keep 2-0 in sources.list at the moment, however a new upgrade with no 2-0 packages will be released soon.

DorianDotSlash wrote:

After this a dist-upgrade should bring everything up to the 3.1 package versions correct?

Yes, but the current Centaurus version is 3.3

DorianDotSlash wrote:

Has this been tested yet?

No, and such testing is not planned. The success of upgrade is highly dependable on the system configuration, as said above, and cannot be guaranteed by our team, so will not be supported. Anyway, you can make data backup and try to perform the upgrade on your own, just follow the Debian Stretch -> Buster upgrade recommendations.

#4 2018-09-12 18:12

DorianDotSlash

Thank you both, and the YouTube review was my pleasure.  I'm very pleased with this distro smile  Apologies for the version mixup!  I'll change my YouTube thumbnail and description today as well!

I will try a dist-upgrade in a virtual machine first and see what happens.  This is more for curiosity than anything.  If it goes well I will install a 2nd installation of 2.6 on hardware and try a real upgrade as well.

I did have an issue with writing the ISO's to a USB from Linux using both dd and unetbootin and was only successful using Rufus in Windows 10.  For some reason that was the only way I could make my system see the LiveUSB.  Next time I'm going to try formatting the USB first to see if that solved the issue, but I've never had to do that before.

I also ran into a glitch where after the installation, none of my EFI bootloaders were recognized by my system, and I had to change my BIOS to legacy mode and restore my system from a backup.  Not sure if this has been encountered before or if it's just a strange random glitch.

Either way, I'm very much enjoying the distro, and I do plan to do a Part 2 update video in the future.  Thanks for the hard work!

#5 2018-09-12 18:21

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

DorianDotSlash wrote:

I did have an issue with writing the ISO's to a USB from Linux using both dd and unetbootin and was only successful using Rufus in Windows 10. ..

The most simple way to write a bootable image to USB drive in Linux is to use the 'cp' command, please see Q4OS documentation http://q4os.org/dqa011.html#install.1

So run in terminal:
$ sudo cp some_image.iso /dev/sdX
'sdX' is the target usb drive, for example 'sdb'. Please double check it thoroughly to not rewrite the hard drive !

#6 2018-09-12 19:11

DorianDotSlash

q4osteam wrote:

The most simple way to write a bootable image to USB drive in Linux is to use the 'cp' command, please see Q4OS documentation http://q4os.org/dqa011.html#install.1

So run in terminal:
'sdX' is the target usb drive, for example 'sdb'. Please double check it thoroughly to not rewrite the hard drive !

Hm, I've never trusted cp to copy an iso and always use dd.  It does indeed work since "everything is a file", but I've just stuck to dd since you can adjust the buffer to speed up copying, and it's a true byte copy utility.

I've give using cp a shot and see what happens, and yes I always triple check the device when using dd as well smile

Thanks again!

Last edited by DorianDotSlash (2018-09-12 19:12)

#7 2018-09-12 20:37

luckyboy

Me too love this distro.Great job guyss smile

#8 2018-09-14 17:34

DorianDotSlash

q4osteam wrote:
DorianDotSlash wrote:

I did have an issue with writing the ISO's to a USB from Linux using both dd and unetbootin and was only successful using Rufus in Windows 10. ..

So run in terminal:

So, a little update on this.  I've tried installing 3.3 on a new partition, but I'm again having issues with putting the ISO on a USB.

I first double-checked the SHA1 and MD5 sums provided by SourceForge to ensure the file was not corrupt.

I tried both cp and dd on 3 different USB sticks, and these are sticks I've used dozens if not hundreds of times as boot sticks from ISO files as I'm a distrohopper and distro reviewer.  I tried this while running Q4OS.

Like the 2.6 ISO, I was unable to boot, and my system did not see the USB as a bootable device.

Like with 2.6, I booted into Windows 10 and used Rufus to copy the ISO to the USB stick and I was then able to boot from it.

To sum up;
Tried copying Q4OS 2.6 ISO to USB from Manjaro and was only successful copying it in Windows with Rufus.
Tried copying Q4OS 3.3 ISO to USB from Q4OS 2.6 and had the same results as 2.6 on Manjaro (only Windows/Rufus worked).

Not sure what the issue is, but I've never had an issue before, and I'm not sure what is causing it since all the files DO get copied to the stick, it just doesn't get detected by my BIOS.

I did manage to get 3.3 booting, but did not complete the installation because my WiFi is detected and can see WiFi networks, but will not connect to my router.  I will be working on trouble-shooting that before completing the installation.

#9 2018-09-14 19:13

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce the issue with bootable usb stick. We can just do 'dd' or 'cp' command and the stick boots fine on multiple computers around. So, we would guess it's specific for some BIOSes. Is your BIOS able to boot the live Debian iso https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu … so-hybrid/ file 'debian-live-9.5.0-amd64-kde.iso', or the Q4OS installation CD https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/files/stable/ file 'q4os-2.6-x64-instcd.r1.iso' ?

DorianDotSlash wrote:

I did manage to get 3.3 booting, but did not complete the installation because my WiFi is detected and can see WiFi networks, but will not connect to my router.

You could try to only restart the router and connect again.

#10 2018-09-17 01:12

DorianDotSlash

q4osteam wrote:

Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce the issue with bootable usb stick. We can just do 'dd' or 'cp' command and the stick boots fine on multiple computers around. So, we would guess it's specific for some BIOSes. Is your BIOS able to boot the live Debian iso https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu … so-hybrid/ file 'debian-live-9.5.0-amd64-kde.iso', or the Q4OS installation CD https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/files/stable/ file 'q4os-2.6-x64-instcd.r1.iso' ?

I downloaded both images you suggested above and I tried copying both each with 'dd' and 'cp'.  In all 4 cases, the same USB stick showed up as a UEFI boot option as normal.
I then tried again with the Q4OS 2.6 ISO and once again, it doesn't show up.

This is puzzling.

q4osteam wrote:

You could try to only restart the router and connect again.

On my 2nd attempt at installing 3.3, the WiFi worked properly and connected with no problems.  Installation went off without a hitch.

#11 2018-09-17 06:16

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

DorianDotSlash wrote:

... I then tried again with the Q4OS 2.6 ISO and once again, it doesn't show up.

Thanks for the helpful  reporting and testing. After a little investigation, we are now able to confirm a glitch in the Q4OS live-cd isos. They are not bootable on some UEFI machines, if copied to USB. It will be fixed as soon as possible.

#12 2018-09-17 10:29

DorianDotSlash

q4osteam wrote:
DorianDotSlash wrote:

... I then tried again with the Q4OS 2.6 ISO and once again, it doesn't show up.

Thanks for the helpful  reporting and testing. After a little investigation, we are now able to confirm a glitch in the Q4OS live-cd isos. They are not bootable on some UEFI machines, if copied to USB. It will be fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!  I look forward to the fix and can help confirm that it works.
Cheers!

#13 2018-09-17 11:33

plambi

On UEFI machines, I always format my USB drives in GPT, on legacy (BIOS) machines - always MBR. You may try this solution, cheers!

HP z230 SFF, Xeon E3-1226 v3, 16 GB DD3L ECC, nVidia Quadro K4000, registered linux user #413596

#14 2018-09-17 18:55

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

q4osteam wrote:

... we are now able to confirm a glitch in the Q4OS live-cd isos. They are not bootable on some UEFI machines, if copied to USB.

The issue should be fixed now. New iso images are immediately available from the Q4OS downloads page https://q4os.org/downloads1.html . A testing on different UEFI machines would be highly appreciated.

#15 2018-09-18 01:31

DorianDotSlash

plambi wrote:

On UEFI machines, I always format my USB drives in GPT, on legacy (BIOS) machines - always MBR. You may try this solution, cheers!

I have tried both table formats multiple ways.  The Q4OS team found a solution with the ISO.

q4osteam wrote:
q4osteam wrote:

... we are now able to confirm a glitch in the Q4OS live-cd isos. They are not bootable on some UEFI machines, if copied to USB.

The issue should be fixed now. New iso images are immediately available from the Q4OS downloads page https://q4os.org/downloads1.html . A testing on different UEFI machines would be highly appreciated.

Happy to report that the R2 images work perfectly!  I used the same USB sticks, and both methods of 'dd' and 'cp'.  All methods worked and the USB stick immediately showed up as a UEFI boot device upon rebooting.

I'm curious what the solution was that you found, mainly so that if I encounter this again with my system, I'll at least have a known solutions.  Thanks for the quick response!

#16 2018-09-18 07:56

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

DorianDotSlash wrote:

I'm curious what the solution was that you found ..

'-isohybrid-gpt-basdat -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus' options has been added to the 'xorriso' options for compiling the final iso image.

The complete options now look like the following:
XORRISO_OPTIONS="-R -r -J -joliet-long -l -cache-inodes -iso-level 3 -isohybrid-mbr /usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin -partition_offset 16 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table --hardlinks -eltorito-alt-boot  -e boot/grub/efi.img -no-emul-boot -isohybrid-gpt-basdat -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus -A "Q4OS Live" -p "Q4OS" -publisher "Q4OS" -V "Q4OS"

Last edited by q4osteam (2018-09-18 07:59)

#17 2018-09-18 15:50

Dai_trying

q4osteam wrote:

A testing on different UEFI machines would be highly appreciated.

Tested on my Dell laptop and works as it should, thank you. smile

#18 2018-09-21 22:39

danielson

Crashes all over for me.
Starting with LibreOffice followed by others.
Rolled back to latest stable.

Nice presentation and other changes though!
Can't wait for it to become stable.

p.s. saw 3.4 testing on Distrowatch today and couldn't resist trying it out.

Last edited by danielson (2018-09-21 22:54)

DELL Optiplex 7060 - 8G RAM.

Board footer