You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-07 16:37

DVOM

xfce4 can't open synaptic

I've got Q4OS 2.5 on both my HDD and in a virtualbox machine. They both have the same problem with synaptic and xfce4.

When in TDE desktop, synaptic opens normally via either the menu or the terminal.
When in xfce4 this is the error I get:

sudo synaptic
No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused.

(synaptic:7217) Gtk-WARNING**: cannot open display:  :0.0

TIA for any ideas

#2 2018-06-07 18:05

Dai_trying

Re: xfce4 can't open synaptic

I just installed into a new VM and used the "pure" profile, after installation (and guest utils installation) and a reboot I then installed Xfce desktop and rebooted into it. I then installed synaptic-trinity and everything is working as expected. I tried installing from the Q4OS Software Centre but it failed to install probably due to being in the Xfce environment, so installed manually from terminal.

Are you trying to run it from a ssh session? I only ask as I have seen that error before but usually when I try to run a gui app on another machine connected via ssh, The problem in that scenario is you would not have access to X. There are sometimes workarounds for it but I found it a better idea to use teamviewer/x2go or some other desktop sharing application and you would then have full gui access.

#3 2018-06-08 19:50

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

I tried installing from the Q4OS Software Centre but it failed to install probably due to being in the Xfce environment ...

Yes, we can confirm a bug, as some Q4OS specific environment variables are not set up correctly on Xfce startup. We will add this into our internal bug list.

#4 2018-06-08 19:53

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

DVOM wrote:

When in xfce4 this is the error I get:

sudo synaptic
No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused.

(synaptic:7217) Gtk-WARNING**: cannot open display:  :0.0

We are not able to reproduce the issue on a clean Q4OS + Xfce installation, Synaptic starts as expected. Please specify as exact as possible procedure for us to be able to reproduce and possibly fix the issue.

Board footer