You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-06 11:23

rmcellig

Creating new panels

I'm using scorpion. What I want to do is create a new panel to create a dock along the bottom of my screen instead of using something like plank. When I go to create a new panel there are several options. How do I do this and is there documentation and maybe a video on how to create and use new panels in q4os?

Thanks so much!! I am new to this distro.

#2 2018-05-06 14:04

Dai_trying

Re: Creating new panels

There is the kooldock-trinity package which will give you a nice dock at the bottom of your screen, it was recommended by the developers in another thread and should provide everything you need, although I don't know if there is any documentation other than the man page for it.
There are a few YouTube videos although they don't seem to go into much detail...

#3 2018-05-06 20:33

rmcellig

Thanks for the info! I'm just wondering why you would create new panels in Q4OS. I'm not sure what they do and I would really like to see examples or be pointed to an article describing how to use the new panel feature and what each panel does. I will still see if I can find something describing panels in KDE3.

#4 2018-05-06 22:07

Dai_trying

I haven't used a panel other than the provided one since I very first used KDE and back then it seemed to me to be like an open folder on the desktop which could contain links, widgets, apps or other folders/files but I didn't feel they were of much use to me due to the way I use the desktop. I'm sure there is a bit more to panels than I have said here and maybe someone else has more experience with them and can offer some thoughts.

#5 2018-05-07 01:57

pippin

Hi there,

I like to keep the normal panel pretty clear, so the first thing I do on a new installation is to create a new panel at the top of the display.
(Probably a psychological thing but I prefer selecting /clicking things at my eye level.)

In the new panel I place shortcuts to my most oft-used programs, as it saves me having to bring up the menu and drill down for the program I want. Yep, I know, I'm lazy!

The only thing that bugs me about the panel is that if I change the look (from, say, WinXP to another look), the new look appears but minus the new panel. I have to set the panel up all over again.

BTW, I have been using Q4OS as my daily workhorse for a while now. Just so impressed with it. Well done, team.
And I am trying out the new Centaurus - seems pretty good to me.

Hope this helps a bit,

Regards,
Phil

Last edited by pippin (2018-05-14 22:28)

#6 2018-05-08 11:48

UAOS

I got one posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsMhFp0 … -C2z0&t=0s

rmcellig wrote:

I'm using scorpion. What I want to do is create a new panel to create a dock along the bottom of my screen instead of using something like plank. When I go to create a new panel there are several options. How do I do this and is there documentation and maybe a video on how to create and use new panels in q4os?

Thanks so much!! I am new to this distro.

A home Linux user who believes that Linux is the future.

Board footer