You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-31 23:14

Dai_trying

Re: Can't open boot menu [Solved]

Like I said I'm not a Windows guy and have never needed to use these commands, but looking at it I imagine it would have simply deleted the mint bootloader if it was successful which might also mean you would need to use the chroot method to re-install grub from that installation. You would know if it had removed the boot entry if you ran the previous instructions from live-session...

#27 2018-04-01 10:31

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

Like I said I'm not a Windows guy and have never needed to use these commands, but looking at it I imagine it would have simply deleted the mint bootloader if it was successful which might also mean you would need to use the chroot method to re-install grub from that installation. You would know if it had removed the boot entry if you ran the previous instructions from live-session...

Thanks, can you guide me through that with exact instructions?
I also have a feeling that is the best way.
But I can't load Mint.
The only Linux installation I can run is q4os from a USB stick - and only a Terminal.
However, the q4os USB stick used to come up with a boot menu which included Windows, Mint (on the HD) and q4os (on the USB stick). Does this make sense to you?
Would it be an idea to install Mint from scratch (including the dual boot menu)? I have/had 17.2 but don't mind starting from scratch. Or perhaps after install of 17.2, recreate the partition from a full-image backup.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 10:50)

#28 2018-04-01 11:32

Dai_trying

I think the first thing you need to be able to do is to boot a Live-Cd and get to a desktop, this can be any distro so you could try your Mint 17.2 image or any other distro you have available. If you cannot get to a Live-Desktop session it would indicate (IMO) hardware failure and any guidance i could offer would be prone to errors.

If you have spare usb stick you could use that to get a live-session running, I suspect you have installed Q4OS onto your usb stick as a full installation and that would not work the same as a Live-session so use another one if possible.

When you can get a Live Desktop it would be relatively straight-forward to resolve your problems let me know if you can get that running (and what distro you are using to get it).

#29 2018-04-01 11:37

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

I think the first thing you need to be able to do is to boot a Live-Cd and get to a desktop, this can be any distro so you could try your Mint 17.2 image or any other distro you have available. If you cannot get to a Live-Desktop session it would indicate (IMO) hardware failure and any guidance i could offer would be prone to errors.

If you have spare usb stick you could use that to get a live-session running, I suspect you have installed Q4OS onto your usb stick as a full installation and that would not work the same as a Live-session so use another one if possible.

When you can get a Live Desktop it would be relatively straight-forward to resolve your problems let me know if you can get that running (and what distro you are using to get it).

Thank you!
Yes, the Q4OS usb stick is a full installation.
I'll try to get a live-session up and running.
I think I have one Q4OS USB-stick 'live' (the one used to make the full installation). I'll try that first.
But I am not sure I can boot from it (since I have problems booting from anything else than the HD).

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 11:39)

#30 2018-04-01 11:54

q4osfan

Tried to launch Q4OS live session from the USB live version. It showed that it was running Debian Linux, and had full screen terminal with a command prompt but then the screen went black, and the monitor got no input from the computer any more.
So, it seems there is some hardware failure?
Strange though that I can run Windows as usual. (The only difference being that on start up, I have to wait a little, then press Enter once).

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 11:55)

#31 2018-04-01 11:59

Dai_trying

Have you tried pressing the down cursor before pressing enter when starting your machine to see if you might get to another boot option, it is possible that it will boot into Mint (if boot entry wasn't deleted), or even your live usb (if inserted).

#32 2018-04-01 12:04

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

Have you tried pressing the down cursor before pressing enter when starting your machine to see if you might get to another boot option, it is possible that it will boot into Mint (if boot entry wasn't deleted), or even your live usb (if inserted).

In the boot menu there were I think 4 (or 6?) options, and I had changed the startup option to the last one (=Windows), and I had to press ArrowUp 3 (or 5?) times to get to the top where Mint was. So I guess I should try that (have tried but not very systematically - it's also a question of timing it right because after 2 seconds it would go to Windows automatically if nothing pressed.

#33 2018-04-01 12:21

q4osfan

I've tried that now: Booting - pressing upArrow many times (first time inside the two seconds it would go up, so I am sure I must be at the top = Mint). Then Enter -- then a blank screen with a small cursor - then a big cursor, then nothing (except the HD lamp blinking). But in this case there was input to the monitor, and it remained.

Please note that on boot, I used to get a little message <F2> Bios, <F7> Bios update, and <F10> Boot menu (as I remember it). I don't get that message now. I have tried these keys many times, but can't access the bios or boot menus.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 12:23)

#34 2018-04-01 12:36

Dai_trying

have you tried using the monitors OSD menu to see if you can adjust it?

#35 2018-04-01 12:38

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

have you tried using the monitors OSD menu to see if you can adjust it?

you mean when the screen is blank after trying to boot e.g. from USB-stick?

#36 2018-04-01 12:42

Dai_trying

Yes. or any time it is on to see if you have any options for screen size etc... it might be possible to adjust the size to be able to see what is currently outside the visible area.

#37 2018-04-01 12:50

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

Yes. or any time it is on to see if you have any options for screen size etc... it might be possible to adjust the size to be able to see what is currently outside the visible area.

Yes. Now I checked (while in Windows) the OSD menus - there is one "Auto adjust" (which I have used before). There is also an Image control - it says Horizontal 50% and Vertical 50%. It's a 1920x1080 resolution. hp24er 23.8"

#38 2018-04-01 13:00

q4osfan

They also have something called Black stretch which can be off - low - medium - high -- it is set to medium

#39 2018-04-01 13:20

q4osfan

Have tried the mentioned OSD options - also in the "blank, (supposedly) Mint" screen - nothing new.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 13:20)

#40 2018-04-01 14:02

Dai_trying

Do you have an alternative Video Card you could try in that machine to see if it makes a difference?

#41 2018-04-01 14:07

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

Do you have an alternative Video Card you could try in that machine to see if it makes a difference?

Unfortunately not. I'd have to go to a technician and see if he has one and could do that. Perhaps I'll try that.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 14:07)

#42 2018-04-01 14:10

q4osfan

Actually, there is a nvidia card in the machine - could there be one on the mother board also? (shows my ignorance ;-)) In other words: is the graphics in a desktop computer always separately on a video card?

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 14:12)

#43 2018-04-01 14:16

q4osfan

I can see now (in Speccy) that there is both Intel Graphics (HD Graphics) and an Nvidia GeForce GTS-450 graphics card in the machine

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 14:17)

#44 2018-04-01 14:28

Dai_trying

You could try removing the add-on card to see if the on-board chip will work...

#45 2018-04-01 14:30

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

You could try removing the add-on card to see if the on-board chip will work...

Ah - good idea! - I'll try that - thanks!

#46 2018-04-01 15:22

q4osfan

Success! THANKS!!

Removing the Nvidia card made everything almost normal.
The grub menu worked as usual - though it looked a little different (smaller, in a kind of Terminal window). But I could boot into Mint, and also if nothing touched, boot into Windows.
Tried booting from the Q4OS full installation USB stick - apparently it loaded it - but then instead of going to the normal interface, it showed a full screen terminal with a login prompt. I could login but then what?
I'd like to get Q4OS interface back.
Thank you again.
I'm going to see if I can boot from my rescue disc now.

#47 2018-04-01 17:33

q4osfan

Did a restore of full image backup with Macrium Reflect, and it worked!
When booting from the Q4OS USB stick - I first got the boot menu with options for Windows, Mint and Q4OS, and then when running Q4OS item, the login prompt came in a full screen terminal, and not the usual interface.
Perhaps I just should reinstall Q4OS (I have the 'install USB' still)?

#48 2018-04-01 17:56

Dai_trying

If you are going to (re) install Q4OS I would have thought it was better to install it on your HDD as it will be more reliable, usb installs are not really a good way to use most Linux distros with the exception of a few that are designed specifically for that purpose. As you are already dual-booting it would be pretty easy to make it Multi-boot too.

Another thing to consider when using a USB stick to install a "normal" desktop is the amount of writes that are made to the stick, it will reduce the life of the USB device considerably and will likely result in lost data when it eventually fails. There have been some people that managed to recover data from stick after failing but there are more that end up with nothing. Just something for you to consider as it is your own hardware and you are free to use it as you choose.

#49 2018-04-01 18:14

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

If you are going to (re) install Q4OS I would have thought it was better to install it on your HDD as it will be more reliable, usb installs are not really a good way to use most Linux distros with the exception of a few that are designed specifically for that purpose. As you are already dual-booting it would be pretty easy to make it Multi-boot too.

Another thing to consider when using a USB stick to install a "normal" desktop is the amount of writes that are made to the stick, it will reduce the life of the USB device considerably and will likely result in lost data when it eventually fails. There have been some people that managed to recover data from stick after failing but there are more that end up with nothing. Just something for you to consider as it is your own hardware and you are free to use it as you choose.

Oh - thanks! Do I just put the original 'install' USB in and run - then it gives me the option of creating a partition automatically, I suppose?
By the way, is there a way in this forum where you tag a reply as "Solution" and "Thanks"?
Anyway, I want to THANK you very much for all your help!!
Best wishes smile

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 18:19)

#50 2018-04-01 18:21

q4osfan

PS. I suppose the Nvidia graphics card is defect and not usable?

Board footer