You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-30 13:45

q4osfan

Can't open boot menu [Solved]

I have Q4OS on a USB stick - and it was working fine - until I changed monitor (desktop). Now when I boot from the USB stick I am asked for a name and password, and when entering that I am in a fullscreen terminal.
How can I get my old boot menu back?
The old boot menu showed: Windows 7, a Linux Mint (on the HD) and Q4OS (on the USB stick).
(By the way, on the HD I also have a dual boot (Windows 7/Linux Mint) but that also doesn't work now. I have asked in the Mint forum.)
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-04-01 19:27)

#2 2018-03-30 17:57

tbqhmhsfamilam

Re: Can't open boot menu [Solved]

So you have a desktop computer, and q4os on a flash drive. Previously if you plugged in the flash drive and rebooted your computer, you got a menu to pick from the two os's on your hd or the os on your flash drive. You then started using a different computer monitor, unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one. Now, when you reboot with the flash drive plugged in, there's no boot menu, it just gives you a prompt for username and password, which logs you into a full screen terminal. Is that right?

#3 2018-03-30 18:05

q4osfan

tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:

So you have a desktop computer, and q4os on a flash drive. Previously if you plugged in the flash drive and rebooted your computer, you got a menu to pick from the two os's on your hd or the os on your flash drive. You then started using a different computer monitor, unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one. Now, when you reboot with the flash drive plugged in, there's no boot menu, it just gives you a prompt for username and password, which logs you into a full screen terminal. Is that right?

Yes, that is exactly right. Any suggestions to get the boot menu back?

#4 2018-03-30 18:44

tbqhmhsfamilam

Okay sure. So, when you reboot without the flash drive plugged in, is it the same behavior as before the new monitor? Maybe a boot menu to choose between Mint and Windows?

#5 2018-03-30 18:56

q4osfan

tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:

Okay sure. So, when you reboot without the flash drive plugged in, is it the same behavior as before the new monitor? Maybe a boot menu to choose between Mint and Windows?

No, that is also a problem. I used to have a dual boot menu then (Windows/Mint). Now it just boots into Windows anyway. I have asked in the Mint forum but not yet got any suggestions that work. (One suggestion was to hold the Shift key while booting - that should supposedly sometimes give the boot menu - but no, it didn't work).

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-03-30 19:22)

#6 2018-03-30 19:30

tbqhmhsfamilam

Alright. Something you could try is to open an administrative command prompt in Windows and enter:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\linuxmint\grubx64.efi

Reboot without the flash drive plugged in and see if you can pick between Mint and Windows. If it doesn't work you can reset that value with the command:

bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\linuxmint\grubx64.efi

You would be trying this at your own risk as there may be a possibility you won't be able to boot into Windows after this either, so if you have a windows installation disk handy you'd need to boot up with that and enter the deletevalue command if something goes extra wrong. However I think the risk of that is very low because if the command fails it should just tell you that it failed as opposed to completing with an invalid outcome.

#7 2018-03-30 19:45

q4osfan

tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:

Alright. Something you could try is to open an administrative command prompt in Windows and enter:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\linuxmint\grubx64.efi

Reboot without the flash drive plugged in and see if you can pick between Mint and Windows. If it doesn't work you can reset that value with the command:

bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\linuxmint\grubx64.efi

You would be trying this at your own risk as there may be a possibility you won't be able to boot into Windows after this either, so if you have a windows installation disk handy you'd need to boot up with that and enter the deletevalue command if something goes extra wrong. However I think the risk of that is very low because if the command fails it should just tell you that it failed as opposed to completing with an invalid outcome.

Thanks a lot. As I am having a similar problem with the HD (without the USB-stick) not dual booting Mint/Windows - can I use the above command there? I'd like first to have the Linux Mint/Windows7 dual boot work before the USB-stick Q4OS, because I have worked more in Mint and have more work there.

#8 2018-03-30 19:51

tbqhmhsfamilam

Right, yes, this command may restore your Windows/Mint set up. If that works, then we'll look at the Q4OS situation.

#9 2018-03-30 20:03

q4osfan

tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:

Right, yes, this command may restore your Windows/Mint set up. If that works, then we'll look at the Q4OS situation.

Ok (you wrote that in the first place ;-)). I am an little nervous concerning the possibility of not being able to boot at all into Windows. So perhaps I should make a full system image backup first.

#10 2018-03-30 20:11

tbqhmhsfamilam

What the command does afaik is tell Windows to use Linux to boot instead of itself, so if it fails for some reason, it's possible neither OS would come up. It shouldn't delete anything, so you could use an external medium to repair it (like a windows install disk) but making a backup is always a good idea.

#11 2018-03-30 20:26

q4osfan

tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:

What the command does afaik is tell Windows to use Linux to boot instead of itself, so if it fails for some reason, it's possible neither OS would come up. It shouldn't delete anything, so you could use an external medium to repair it (like a windows install disk) but making a backup is always a good idea.

Ok - thanks a lot. I'll try this tomorrow, and report back.

#12 2018-03-31 13:58

q4osfan

q4osfan wrote:
tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:

Ok - thanks a lot. I'll try this tomorrow, and report back.

I tried it after making a backup.
The first command bcdedit etc worked as far as it said "done" (or something like that).
When restarting Windows there was no change - windows started without giving the dual boot menu.
When executing the bcdedit delete command, it said:

The delete command is not valid.
Run bcdedit /? to get help
Wrong parameter

(translated from my local language).
I'm sure I put the right command because I pasted it, and also checked it.
Since Windows starts, I didn't try to fix the command (fearing something very bad could happen ;-)).
Any further ideas?

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-03-31 14:02)

#13 2018-03-31 14:23

tbqhmhsfamilam

Hm sorry not really. It just sounds like your boot manager got messed up, probably from a Windows update, that may or may not have anything to do with your new monitor. I guess if I were you I would get anything you want to keep off your linux partitions and reinstall.

These are the links I was looking at if you want to take a look:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=134140
https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

#14 2018-03-31 14:42

Dai_trying

You could try running a live installation to see if it can "repair" your hdd grub, you would need to chroot into your hdd installation and reinstall grub, it can be a little awkward but I have used this method before successfully.

Ideally you would boot from the same distro as you want to reinstall grub for, but this is not absolutely essential just my preference. If you need some help with chrooting let us know and I will try to guide you through it.

As an afterthought I realise you might be able to simply use efibootmgr from a live session to correct your boot sequence (if that is al that is wrong).

#15 2018-03-31 16:07

Dai_trying

I am just typing from a live session and thought I would give you a few guidelines for using efibootmgr to change the boot order, First boot Live-Cd (I am using Q4OS Scorpion here) and when you arrive at desktop first you will need an internet connection, if you are using a cable it should already be available, but if you are using Wifi you will need to select your Access Point and give the required password to connect.

Next you will need to update apt using

sudo apt update

after that you can install efibootmgr with

sudo apt install efibootmgr

Next you will need to create the proper directory for efi

sudo mkdir /boot/EFI

capital letters are important here!
Next we need to know which device holds your efi boot partition, this can be obtained with

sudo blkid | grep EFI

which should give something like this as a result

/dev/sda2: UUID="DAAC-7F84" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI system partition" PARTUUID="56586012-bbe4-4c51-82e3-b5f03d68c9ab"

so in my case I use /dev/sda2
Now we can mount the efi boot partition with

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /boot/EFI

now we can type efibootmgr to see which boot options are available, my system looks like this

adminq@debian:~$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 1006
Timeout: 10 seconds
BootOrder: 0003,0001,0005,0002,0000
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0001* BUSTER
Boot0002* Q4WIN
Boot0003* SCORPION
Boot0005* CENTAURUS

To change the order I can use this command

sudo efibootmgr -o 3,5,1,2,0

which gives the following result

adminq@debian:~$ sudo efibootmgr -o 3,5,1,2,0
BootOrder: 0003,0005,0001,0002,0000
Boot0001* BUSTER
Boot0002* Q4WIN
Boot0003* SCORPION
Boot0005* CENTAURUS

as you can see the BootOrder is now changed.
Hope this helps. smile

#16 2018-03-31 18:00

q4osfan

tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:

Hm sorry not really. It just sounds like your boot manager got messed up, probably from a Windows update, that may or may not have anything to do with your new monitor. I guess if I were you I would get anything you want to keep off your linux partitions and reinstall.

These are the links I was looking at if you want to take a look:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=134140
https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

Thanks.
Things got so bad that I couldn't do anything.
I have borrowed another monitor from a friend - the old monitor was dead (that's why I got a new one).
I can now get into Windows 7 by starting up - and after a while press Enter. Sometimes however after getting the logon screen in Windows and pressing my usual account icon - the screen goes blue - and no response.
I thought I'd restore to a full image backup (made with Macrium Reflect) made recently - but I can't boot from the usb rescue disc (or from a rescue disc) - the screen is simply empty. I can't even get the bios menu.
But now that I have a working Windows7 - is there a simple way to be able to recreate my last full image backup?? I can't boot a Windows repair disc either.

#17 2018-03-31 18:12

q4osfan

PS.
Just found that in the case where I can boot into Windows - and press the logon logo - and it turns blue - by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del I get a task manager and the screen returns to normal!
Generally the monitor (the old one I've borrowed) also says "no input" often during boot and closing down. I don't know why. I have to guess the keystrokes blindly, feeling that it's just the signal to the monitor that goes off sometimes.

#18 2018-03-31 18:20

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

I am just typing from a live session and thought I would give you a few guidelines for using efibootmgr to change the boot order, First boot Live-Cd (I am using Q4OS Scorpion here) and when you arrive at desktop first you will need an internet connection, if you are using a cable it should already be available, but if you are using Wifi you will need to select your Access Point and give the required password to connect.

Next you will need to update apt using

sudo apt update

after that you can install efibootmgr with

sudo apt install efibootmgr

Next you will need to create the proper directory for efi

sudo mkdir /boot/EFI

capital letters are important here!
Next we need to know which device holds your efi boot partition, this can be obtained with

sudo blkid | grep EFI

which should give something like this as a result

/dev/sda2: UUID="DAAC-7F84" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI system partition" PARTUUID="56586012-bbe4-4c51-82e3-b5f03d68c9ab"

so in my case I use /dev/sda2
Now we can mount the efi boot partition with

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /boot/EFI

now we can type efibootmgr to see which boot options are available, my system looks like this

adminq@debian:~$ efibootmgr
BootOrder: 0003,0001,0005,0002,0000
Boot0001* BUSTER
Boot0002* Q4WIN
Boot0003* SCORPION
Boot0005* CENTAURUS

To change the order I can use this command

sudo efibootmgr -o 3,5,1,2,0

which gives the following result

adminq@debian:~$ sudo efibootmgr -o 3,5,1,2,0
BootOrder: 0003,0005,0001,0002,0000
Boot0001* BUSTER
Boot0002* Q4WIN
Boot0003* SCORPION
Boot0005* CENTAURUS

as you can see the BootOrder is now changed.
Hope this helps. smile

Thanks. I have some time ago changed the boot order to boot from Windows first automatically. Now it seems that when I boot - only a blank screen comes - and press Enter - it chooses that option (windows). So far so good. At least on this small screen I've borrowed. I'm going to try this with the new screen...
Update: I can start Windows in this way with the new screen!
I cannot boot from any USB og disc.
The only thing I can (apart from starting Windows in a little awkward way (pressing Enter at some point) - is to boot from a q4os usb - but there I get only a full screen terminal.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-03-31 18:35)

#19 2018-03-31 18:44

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

You could try running a live installation to see if it can "repair" your hdd grub, you would need to chroot into your hdd installation and reinstall grub, it can be a little awkward but I have used this method before successfully.

Ideally you would boot from the same distro as you want to reinstall grub for, but this is not absolutely essential just my preference. If you need some help with chrooting let us know and I will try to guide you through it.

As an afterthought I realise you might be able to simply use efibootmgr from a live session to correct your boot sequence (if that is al that is wrong).

I also have a feeling that we could try to 'repair' the hhd grub. The only way I can get a Linux running is booting from my USB q4os (live - but can store things) - but I can only run the Terminal (a full screen terminal) - there is no usual q4os interface. (It asks for a user and password, so I can see I am in).
So yes, please, I'd like to know how to chroot and reinstall grub. But I am a little concerned that this would leave me with having to boot from the USB stick, and not being able to boot from the PC only.
I'd prefer most of all to be able just to restore my Macrium Reflect image backup - but I can't boot the rescue disc - can't see it on the screen anyway.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-03-31 18:47)

#20 2018-03-31 19:11

Dai_trying

You can use the efibootmgr instructions to see what is on your system from the live-cd, just do not change the boot order and it will not change anything at all on your system, it is all done from the terminal.

I can't help with Macrium Reflect as I have never used it but would guess your machine does not like booting with a smaller screen, which might be adjusted via the OSD menu on your monitor, usually accessed via one of three buttons (select/up/down) but I cannot help further as all menus are different and I would only be guessing where to find your display adjust/reset option. You might find you can see more of the screen after some changes to the monitor options.

#21 2018-03-31 19:16

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

You can use the efibootmgr instructions to see what is on your system from the live-cd, just do not change the boot order and it will not change anything at all on your system, it is all done from the terminal.

I can't help with Macrium Reflect as I have never used it but would guess your machine does not like booting with a smaller screen, which might be adjusted via the OSD menu on your monitor, usually accessed via one of three buttons (select/up/down) but I cannot help further as all menus are different and I would only be guessing where to find your display adjust/reset option. You might find you can see more of the screen after some changes to the monitor options.

Thanks! I can boot into Windows now from the new screen also but only after waiting a little (there is only a blank screen at boot up) - then pressing Enter.
I'd really really like to boot from a rescue USB stick which would enable me to restore a full image backup.
Can you help?
Thanks!
PS I used to be able to boot from the USB stick - now I can't even open the BIOS menu.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-03-31 19:28)

#22 2018-03-31 19:28

Dai_trying

I would start by establishing what systems are available to boot into (efibootmgr instructions) then you might have an idea of what can (or can't) be done.

If you find you have two options for booting (likely win + mint) you might be able to press your "boot menu key" (mine is F12 but yours will likely be different), then press the down cursor the times equal to the boot entries, so press it twice if you have two, this should put it onto the next option which (if you already have your backup usb inserted) should be your backup stick, worth a try at least...

#23 2018-03-31 20:02

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

I would start by establishing what systems are available to boot into (efibootmgr instructions) then you might have an idea of what can (or can't) be done.

If you find you have two options for booting (likely win + mint) you might be able to press your "boot menu key" (mine is F12 but yours will likely be different), then press the down cursor the times equal to the boot entries, so press it twice if you have two, this should put it onto the next option which (if you already have your backup usb inserted) should be your backup stick, worth a try at least...

This is rather depressing.
I can only get into Linux from the q4os USB stick, and then only into a full screen terminal where I am working in the dark.
Is there no way to do all this from Windows?
And why can't I even access the bios menu?
I've tried to access the boot menu - no luck.

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-03-31 20:05)

#24 2018-03-31 20:31

Dai_trying

Like I said earlier you only need a terminal...

It might be possible to do this in Windows using the commands (or similar) given earlier by tbqhmhsfamilam, I don't (or very rarely) use Windows so have no experience to advise you on that.

I would have to guess at this point that when your monitor failed it may have either caused some effect on your video card or you video card may have failed in some way which caused your monitor to fail, either way I would consider trying another video card (if possible) to either confirm this or rule it out.

If you want to fix this from Windows I would have to suggest a Windows forum/help site as most users here are usually more familiar with Linux, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm sure they will join this discussion. smile

#25 2018-03-31 21:08

q4osfan

Dai_trying wrote:

Like I said earlier you only need a terminal...

It might be possible to do this in Windows using the commands (or similar) given earlier by tbqhmhsfamilam, I don't (or very rarely) use Windows so have no experience to advise you on that.

I would have to guess at this point that when your monitor failed it may have either caused some effect on your video card or you video card may have failed in some way which caused your monitor to fail, either way I would consider trying another video card (if possible) to either confirm this or rule it out.

If you want to fix this from Windows I would have to suggest a Windows forum/help site as most users here are usually more familiar with Linux, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm sure they will join this discussion. smile

Thanks a lot.
The good thing is that I can still run Windows.
The bad thing is that I can't restore my backups.
The suggestion about the video card looks good.
But I also think of another possibility: the first command by tbqhmhsfamilam - could that have caused the failure? I couldn't use the delete command after that - perhaps you know the correct delete command there?

Board footer