You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-25 18:41

SleepyD

Kmail Gmail IMAP setup (Solved)

Could somebody please help me with Gmail setup for Kmail?  I am an experienced user.  I have the IMAP settings for GMail.  I've setup other email programs before without an issue.  I clicked cancel on the Account Wizard wihen first opened it because I had to stop to do something.  I couldn't find the option to run the Account Wizard again.  I have been unsuccessful in manually setting up Gmail.  Thanks

Last edited by SleepyD (2018-03-09 05:07)

#2 2018-02-26 08:48

bin

Re: Kmail Gmail IMAP setup (Solved)

Hello and welcome to Q4OS.

Before going down kmail config path, may I ask whether you actually *need* kmail? The reason I ask is that whilst it does work it can be quite turgid and sluggish if you have an account with a lot of folders. I would mention at this stage that the new account wizard will not set up kmail correctly for Gmail - it get's some bits right but not everything.

Thunderbird is available and as I'm sure you appreciate is totally portable to any system running T'bird by just copying the ~/.thunderbird folder.

#3 2018-02-26 10:00

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

SleepyD wrote:

I clicked cancel on the Account Wizard wihen first opened it because I had to stop to do something.  I couldn't find the option to run the Account Wizard again.

You can remove kmail config file '$HOME/.trinity/share/config/kmailrc', it will bring the account wizard back.

#4 2018-02-28 08:06

SleepyD

Hi folks.  Sorry I haven't been able to respond sooner.  Thank you Q4OS Team for helping me get the Account Wizard back.  It is accessing my email right now. 

Bin, what problems does Kmail have with Gmail?  I'm sure I will stick with Thunderbird but I like trying different things.  I have 7 different distros on my PC.

Thank you for the responses.  The Linux community rocks!

**Update**

Bin, I did find the Send settings weren't totally correct.  I corrected it and was able to send an email to myself.  I don't like that I would have to store my sent mail on  the PC.  I didn't see an option to map it to the Sent folder in Gmail like I changed the Trash to go to the Trash folder in Gmail.

Last edited by SleepyD (2018-02-28 08:16)

#5 2018-02-28 09:10

bin

Hi - glad to hear you got it working.
The problems I found were silly things like - I just want my inbox to open when I start a mail client, I don't want the last email or the latest or anything else - I just want it to open!

Sending BCC to mail lists which I use a lot is clumsy. Configuring it to just scan my inbox and not every blooming folder seemed impossible.

It has some good points too, but not enough to make it a go too app - and as I use T'bird everywhere else it's just a faff.

OK you've piqued my interest, I'll install it again and see what I come up with smile

#6 2018-02-28 09:53

bin

OK - the Sent folder is mapped in Settings>Configure KMail>Identities>Edit Identity>Advanced
Browse to your GMail folder and it should pop down.

Trash/Waste Bin is mapped in Account Settings

That assumes that you have enabled your Sent Mail folder to be visible to IMAP in your Google Account Settings. If it doesn't show up, then you need to log in to Google and go to your Account Settings IMAP and check the relevant boxes.

Last edited by bin (2018-02-28 09:55)

#7 2018-02-28 15:03

bin

You do realise that thanks to all this fiddling about I've now gone back to using Kmail again!!!  smile

Actually it's been quite an interesting exercise as I've had to clean up some of my old lists while importing from my Tbird address book.

Paid a bit more attention to the config options in all sorts of nooks and crannies - still hate the 'On open folder' choices none of which are right - for me anyway....mutter mutter.... but it does have some good points so I'll persevere.

If only it wasn't so SLOOOOWWWW going back to inbox after accessing a different folder. I may try synching and see if that makes it any quicker.......

Out of interest:-
Q4OS Orion
Thunderbird click to working Inbox - 15 seconds
KMail click to working Inbox - 16 seconds

The Mozilla Binaries deb version of T'Bird is a bit quicker, but throws tons of Gobject errors which can slow things down so is not really a basis for comparison.

Last edited by bin (2018-03-01 07:00)

#8 2018-03-03 08:51

bin

Just a quick rider to this thread

Configuring SMTP settings in Accounts>Sending - make sure you select your account and click the Set Default button otherwise it won't automatically send from your Outbox.

The other option is to leave the above setting and then when sending from the message window you have to click and hold the send button (Send via) and pick your smtp account - otherwise it don't send!

#9 2018-03-09 05:06

SleepyD

Thanks for the info bin.  I will try to get the Sent folder setup correctly.  I wish a newer version of Kmail would work on Trinity.

#10 2018-03-09 07:36

SleepyD

Bin, I was able to map the Sent folder like you said.  I don't think I will use Kmail much.  I prefer the Wide view for the preview which Kmail doesn't offer as far as I can see.  Is there an address book anywhere?  I couldn't find it.  Thunderbird is great.  I don't know why this version of Kmail is included in Trinity.

#11 2018-03-09 10:39

bin

You need to install kaddressbook-trinity - install using --no-install-recommends option

sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install kmail-trinity kaddressbook-trinity xloadimage kleopatra-trinity

that avoids a lot of unwanted stuff floating in

It was included as that was the offering at the time - mixing later KDE4 stuff can be a bit of a nightmare.

You can always slide the left hand folder column all the way to the left - that gives a pretty wide view. smile

Board footer