You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-25 15:41

q4osfan

Time not correct when returning from Q4OS to Windows

Have Q4OS on a USB stick and it works wonderfully.
Have set the time and date etc. via the Control Panel in Q4OS to Denmark, and it looks alright.
However, when I shut down, and open Windows(7) the time has moved to 1 hour earlier (though it says in the window where you can change the time in Windows that it the right time zone). I can then easily change the time 1 hour again - but why does this happen, and how to prevent it?
Thanks for any answer!

#2 2018-02-25 16:03

bin

Re: Time not correct when returning from Q4OS to Windows

Hello and welcome!

As I recall Windows 7 gets its time from the BIOS - I have had the same issue on the rare occasions I swapped out the HD from a machine so I could run a Windows prog - Time Zone went wonky. I think it is down to UTC versus Local Time but haven't anything concrete to add.

Best solution - just use Q4OS smile

#3 2018-02-25 16:52

wellguy

Hello, and welcome,,
                                      bin is correct,  happened to me going from 8.1 win  to q4os . One is local the other UTC, 

How I solved this was looked up local or UTC  time in Ubuntu forums , sorry lost the bookmark, and found how to correct it two different  ways,

Its something like ,. load correct local time in Linux app clock,  then shutdown,  log into windows put in line to use the linux time not the                       windows time .

then , shutdown , go back into linux , reload the local time , then shutdown again,  and next time you switch they stay in sync..    maybe try how

to    sync  win.local with linux time ,,

sorry I cant help more than that, I really thought I saved the bookmark, I will also have to look it up again in future as I exactly cant remember .

I do remember it was go back an forth a few times , and there was two ways to do it , on the Ubuntu forums.  I wasnt too hard after

you decide which   way of the two,  you want to do it  , the choices are  both local or both UTC, the second is more involved , I choose local, been fine sense,

problem is, If I have to do it again I need to find the forum post again.     At least It steers you in right direction,  good luck,

If  I find  post  Ill let you know

found notes:   you must edit file,   /ect/adjtime/ UTC.....change UTC to LOCAL   either just exit  or save ,exit,

shutdown linux, relog in  to linux, then shutdown again  ...then log into windows then  shutdown, relog into linux and now they should be in sync

Last edited by wellguy (2018-02-25 18:49)

#4 2018-02-25 23:27

FlexQ4

Alternatively you may eliminate "automatic time synchronization" on your system:

$ sudo apt-get remove ntpdate

I've done that successfully:
http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1483

#5 2018-02-26 12:01

q4osfan

Thanks to all!

Tried the last solution first - after entering the command sudo etc. I just got the message:

package 'ntpdate' is not installed, so not removed

Then I tried the other solution - changing UTC to LOCAL - and it worked! - after changing the time in Windows one last time again.

PS. I also discovered that /ect is named /etc in Q4OS!

Last edited by q4osfan (2018-02-26 14:50)

#6 2018-02-26 13:29

bin

wink

#7 2018-02-26 15:32

wellguy

OOhhhh   my bad  ,     /etc ,    stand corrected

#8 2018-02-26 21:16

q4osfan

wellguy wrote:

OOhhhh   my bad  ,     /etc ,    stand corrected

- actually I thought /ect was normal in Linux and somebody inventive changed it to /etc in Q4OS - but now found that /etc is the standard everywhere (in Linux) smile

Board footer