You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-10 22:37

Rademes

Reverting default TDE desktop after testing other desktops.

In tutorial there are auto-installation scripts which allow to test other desktops such like $ qinst-lxqt, which is very good. But there is not written how to revert TDE desktop back. Only written how to uninstall KDE desktop.
I want to test LXQT desktop, how can I revert TDE desktop without reinstalling the system?

Also it would be very nice to make script for reverting default desktop settings just like after fresh system installation. Such script would make users not be scared to test and experiment with different desktop settings. Users will be confident, that even after THIS they will be able to press [Ctrl+Alt+F1], execute script, and get working desktop with default settings but without reinstalling Q4OS or spending one hour for reverting all settings back manually just like I did.

Finally, is it possible to completely reinstall TDE desktop environment without reinstalling Q4OS?

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#2 2016-01-10 23:37

bobby
Website

Re: Reverting default TDE desktop after testing other desktops.

RADMES,  This would be an awesome benefit to more experienced users too.  I had this happen today and now my icons change location every time I reboot. I was changing the Translucent settings on special windows in TDE when and its been an issue ever since.

width=250 height=150

No Longer Using Q4OS

#3 2016-01-10 23:38

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Rademes wrote:

I want to test LXQT desktop, how can I revert TDE desktop without reinstalling the system?

You should be able to choose which desktop to login, just select session type 'Default/TDE' or 'LXQT' option on login screen.

Rademes wrote:

Also it would be very nice to make script for reverting default desktop.

Yes, we will include a script to revert default desktop settings. It's possible to workaround this now by installing 'Lookswitcher' and switch to classic, and than back to modern Q4OS theme.

Rademes wrote:

Finally, is it possible to completely reinstall TDE desktop environment without reinstalling Q4OS?

It's possible by manual reinstall of single TDE packages, like this:
$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install kdebase-trinity
etc ... but you will not revert user defined settings this way.

#4 2016-01-10 23:47

MC

Rademes wrote:

But there is not written how to revert TDE desktop back

Hi Rademes. On the login screen, there is a "menu" button on the bottom. You would click on it and go to "session type". There you can select which desktop environment you want to log into. I have two DEs installed: TDE and Xfce, and I switch between each of them quite often.

The menu will also remembers the last DE that was running at shutdown.

Q4OS running Xfce

#5 2016-01-11 12:05

Rademes

Thank You! Tried LXQT desktop, TDE is much better! Unfortunately, TDE still contains some bugs sad

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

Board footer