You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-19 21:22

wellguy

Double grub screen at startup {solved}

Hi , New to q4os , and forum.
I needed t use grub2 for boot so I used synaptic . it asked , do you want to keep original application,. or something to that effect.
Not knowing what the results would be I said Yes , just to be sure I wasnt screwing something up.
question is how do I now get rid of first boot up screen with Q4os ans Unbuntu  and stick with second screen of Debian , Debian safe, and Windoews 8.1 which now shows up , as before it wouldnt

I could only boot back into windows if I went into Bios , each time either one or the other os,s but not both untill I used the grub2

But now i have to wait for the first screen of grub to default to the second one with the now seeable Win 8.1

dont have too much experience with terminal so anything complicated will  probably get messed up ???

I tried uninstalling grub but  synaptic wanted to remove grub 2 files also , so i  did not go ahead with that .     thanks  if a fix is do-able  dont like messing around with grub bootloader stuff anymore than i had to.    any help is  greatly welcomed,,

Last edited by wellguy (2017-12-28 02:12)

#2 2017-12-19 21:35

wellguy

Re: Double grub screen at startup {solved}

Wellguy  to wellguy ..,,, I think I just thought of my own fix  ?,,,  un-install grub2  restart  ,, reload grub2  and when asked  choose ,,,not,,, to save old  app stuff,,

Ill wait a day or two incase of easier answer ,  My MBR got messed up and I had to fix it  after many reboots  , so I m hoping not to go though that again ,
kind of liking the distro so far -- the boot crazyness stuff ,    thanks again,

#3 2017-12-26 22:08

wellguy

Re: Double grub screen at startup {solved}

nope ,,,,  tried,,,  then switched to devuan with q4os,,,  and  moved the old  q4os  ubuntu boot to last on boot options  , so  q4os  devuan  ,then windows8.1 then i still have  the old boot  q4os  but now it does not show up at boot up  only in bios line-up so no biggy anymore    {SOLVED }  as far as I’m concerned

Last edited by wellguy (2017-12-26 22:10)

Board footer