You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-11 12:30

Dai_trying

Re: Connecting to WAP protected Router.

ScorpianQ4OS wrote:

So, does this mean my download somehow was corrupted?
What does this tell you?

One of the first things to do when you download a new iso image is to also get the md5sum (or other hash like sha256) and check that the image has been downloaded correctly and is a match to what it should be. this can be done in Q4OS by copying the correct checksum from the Q4OS Download Page and paste it into a new file

for instance the checksum for the current stable version (Scorpion) for amd64 machines is :

99b0a27bdfedf70b849a41eadc91fa74 q4os-2.4-x64.r6.iso

This shows the iso file name and the expected checksum result, if you copy this into a text file (use any editor) and save it as q4os-2.4-x64.r6.iso.md5sum this can be used to verify the checksum using this command

md5sum -c q4os-2.4-x64.r6.iso.md5sum

The results would look like this

dai@q4os:~/Downloads$ md5sum -c q4os-2.4-x64.r6.iso.md5sum 
q4os-2.4-x64.r6.iso: OK

One thing to note is you must run this command from the same folder that contains both the iso file and the checksum file.

If by chance your file fails the checksum there could have been some sort of error in your download process, I would immediately delete the file and try downloading the image again.

As for the failure trying to install inxi, I would imagine that you do not have internet access without your WiFi working, but if you have ethernet available for that machine I would use that to get the system up and running correctly and the you can remove it afterwards.
If you are using ethernet already then I would guess that you have not yet updated your system, if this is the case please run

sudo apt update

and this will update the avaiable repositories and you should then find inxi available to install.

#27 2018-03-11 12:39

ScorpianQ4OS

Q4OS Team, Good Morning. I will do as you require, but how do I get the results either here or emailed to you without an internet connection? I am on this forum from my Windows desktop. Will copy and paste survive a reboot from Q4OS to Windows 10? Please advise.
Thank you. Cheers!

#28 2018-03-11 13:05

ScorpianQ4OS

Good Morning Dai_trying!  Haven't done a checksum check, so I will do as you direct and make sure I didn't screw up the OS download. As you can see, BIN is now offering assistance, as has the Q4OS Team's help from the start. Since the element for "human error" is high on my end, should I be trying these several fix suggestions in a specific order? Q4OS Team's first, BIN's second etc. I want to be sure to minimize anything I could screw up on my end so as to not waste anyone's time or efforts here. I sincerely appreciate all of the time and help you all have offered.
Cheers!

#29 2018-03-11 13:20

Dai_trying

My advice would be to always follow Q4OS Team's advice first, they are the most knowledgable with the distro, you can still try other methods while the Dev's are looking into the issue. smile

#30 2018-03-11 13:33

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

ScorpianQ4OS wrote:

I will do as you require, but how do I get the results either here or emailed to you without an internet connection?

First method is to transfer the file using an USB stick and email it from Win10, second method could be to get fixed ethernet connection if available.

#31 2018-03-11 13:56

ScorpianQ4OS

Roger that Dai_trying.
Cheers

#32 2018-03-11 14:05

ScorpianQ4OS

I need a 50 foot (15.4 meters) Cat 6 cable to run off the Ethernet and cannot leave it as a permanent fixture. As for my USB and CD/DVD drive, Q4OS doesn't show them, so I'm guessing they are not available here until I install them. Catch 22. I will do what I've been doing, writing down results and then typing them here. OK, off to follow your last instructions!
Cheers

#33 2018-03-11 14:46

bin

As regards CD/DVD or USB key - this ain't windows! No need to install - just insert a USB Key and it should just pop up a window asking to open - that's it.

If that doesn't happen then there's something amiss - could well be a bad image/burn as has been discussed.

#34 2018-03-11 15:04

ScorpianQ4OS

Q4OS Team. Results from the sudo journalctl | gzip > /tmp/journal.gz command. Prompted to enter my password, hit enter, and nothing appeared except the command prompt. Tried this several times with always the same result.  Nothing but the command prompt.
This can't be good. Please advise.
Thank you.
Cheers!

#35 2018-03-11 15:28

Dai_trying

The command you issued creates a file (journal.gz) in the directory /tmp. If you insert a usb stick into the machine you should be asked if you want to open it in a new window (among other options) do this and then using the file manager window open the folder /tmp and you should see the file you need to copy, simply copy it to the usb stick and then you can boot Windows and email/post from there. smile

#36 2018-03-11 15:32

ScorpianQ4OS

OK Dai_trying. Will do that shortly!
Thank you
Cheers!

#37 2018-03-11 15:39

ScorpianQ4OS

BIN. Results from you instructions.
Copy and pasted the WiFi list into a new folder.
ran sudo nmcli dev wifi con "my SSID name" "my SSID password" (with the quotation marks as shown).
Results: Error: no network with my SSID found (even though it shows in both the nmtui network manager and the network manager tray ICON!)
Ran sudo systemctl stop networkmanager.service
Result: Failed to stop networkmanager.service:Unit networkmanager.service not loaded.
No clue what this
Your thoughts?
Thank You BIN
Cheers means.

#38 2018-03-11 15:55

bin

ScorpianQ4OS wrote:

BIN. Results from you instructions.
Copy and pasted the WiFi list into a new folder.
ran sudo nmcli dev wifi con "my SSID name" "my SSID password" (with the quotation marks as shown).
Results: Error: no network with my SSID found (even though it shows in both the nmtui network manager and the network manager tray ICON!)
Ran sudo systemctl stop networkmanager.service
Result: Failed to stop networkmanager.service:Unit networkmanager.service not loaded.
No clue what this
Your thoughts?
Thank You BIN
Cheers means.

OK - so network manager doesn't seem to be running.

What was the out put of this please?

nmcli dev wifi list

Also - please run

sudo systemctl start networkmanager.service

Then repeat

sudo nmcli dev wifi con "my SSID name" "my SSID password"

Last edited by bin (2018-03-11 16:07)

#39 2018-03-11 16:47

ScorpianQ4OS

nmcli wifi list worked fine. Copy and pasted the list into Kwrite.
If the Network Manager isn't running, then how am I able to edit, add, or delete my wifi set up in Q4OS?
OK Bin, I will give these new instructions a go as soon as I get the journal.gz temp file to my USB device.
Thank you,
Cheers!

Last edited by ScorpianQ4OS (2018-03-11 16:48)

#40 2018-03-11 16:56

ScorpianQ4OS

Hi Dai_trying. Booted to Q4os. Inserted USB stick. Nothing happened, nor was I asked to choose any options like open a new window. Tried searching for the /temp file, but no luck finding it. I did however find the USB stick listed in a list of devices, but when I clicked on it, again, no response to open it or anything else. Sorry, but I'm really lost on this.
Thank you. Cheers!

#41 2018-03-11 18:19

ScorpianQ4OS

BIN, did the start networkmanager.service command. Result was it failed because networkmanager.service not found. Again, my WiFi SSID is in both the nmtui Network Manager function where there are options for  edit or activate, and the Network Manager tray Icon where I can also edit, as well as connect and delete my Wifi. Would this not mean the networkmanager.service is in fact running, just not connecting?
Ever have the feeling your brain is imitating scrambled eggs in a blender? :-)))
Thank you BIN,
Cheers!

#42 2018-03-11 18:56

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

ScorpianQ4OS wrote:

I did however find the USB stick listed in a list of devices, but when I clicked on it, again, no response to open it or anything else.

You need to double click on the device icon.

#43 2018-03-12 00:53

ScorpianQ4OS

There is no Icon, just a text description in Hardware Device Manager under DISK where I also see my CD/DVD Drive, and agin under USB Other.Double clicking on these text entries doesn't give me access to the USB device.
I also re -ran the sudo journalctl | > /tmp/journal.gz assuming temporary folders and files are deleted upon shutting down. I then used the Find Files/Folders utility and after searching for journal.gz in several different locations, found it under Home. Could not find an option to "send" it to the USB or CD/DVD Drive. I opened Properties and it is an empty file, Size 0B. So I guess there is nothing to see in it anyway.
At this point, with all the time and effort I have drained from you, Dai-trying, and Bin. I'm feeling very guilty of wasting that time and those efforts. It seems like we can go round and round on this indefinitely, and the time to end this declining spiral is now. Therefore, I am giving up on getting Q4OS to work in Windows 10. I might try one more clean install using Dai_trying's Checksum check, but if that doesn't work, it's over for me! :-)))
'The "good" news is I'm waiting for your Q4OS installation CD for i386. I have another PC running XP, which is long overdue for the pasture. No doubt, I will be back here for advice should I run into any issues installing that CD.
I cannot express enough how grateful I am for all of everyone's time and efforts on this. It is simply amazing how universal open source is. Too bad we didn't have a world government run on the same multinational brotherhood of cooperation so typical of the Linux community. It would be a much better world!
Thank you all again. This is not a failure, just a lesson on options that don't work! :-)))
Cheers ALL!

#44 2018-03-12 10:11

Dai_trying

If you want to try one last time to get this installed and running you could download the Live-cd and write it to a usb stick (I use rufus in Windows), then you will be able to run Q4OS from usb without any changes to your pc/laptop.

This will enable you to test if Q4OS is compatible with your machine, and if so could be installed directly from the live session. I am guessing that you used the Windows installer (but not sure as you haven't said so) which is a lot newer than the Live-Cd installer and it could be possible that something went wrong during installation.

Also while you are in the live-session (before installing) you can check if your WiFi connects properly and if so you could install inxi and post the output to us which might enable us to give better advice for you.

#45 2018-03-12 14:22

ScorpianQ4OS

Good Morning Dai_trying. Mu original purpose in looking at Q4OS was to find a Linux distribution that would replace Windows XP, yet maintain the "Windows" look and feel. I ordered the CD installer for my i386 PC and I'm awaiting its arrival to install it. It was then that I noticed the Q4OS for Windows and it naturally intrigued me; a Linux operating system that downloads to desktop and installs from there as well! I decided to try it to get a "look" at Q4OS as well as get familiar with the setup in preperation for when the Q4OZ CD arrives. While we have not been able to get Q4OS to function on my Win 10 PC, it has in fact served as a sort of introduction to Q4OS. More than I bargained for actually, but also more than enough to make me eager to get Q4OS on my other PC. As mentioned previously, all of you here in this Forum who jumped in to help me get Q4OS for Windows up and running have only reaffirmed that choosing Q4OS for my XP replacement is the correct choice. It no longer matters that I also get it running besides Windows 10 at this point. Maybe for a future project when Windows 10 becomes less than desirable?
Again, this is not a failure Dai_trying. It has been a great exercise however in many positive ways, not the least of which is any concerns I may have had about support. That is the very last concern now thanks to the Q4OS Team, you, and Bin.
Like I said, I'm sure I'll be back with a need for assistance installing the i386 version.
I already have an issue on that PC with connecting to the internet, but I'm pretty sure it is related to a registry corruption, as prior to a few weeks ago it was connecting flawlessly. I've also already established the WiFi adapter and driver are OK, and replacing XP completely with Q4OZ as the only OS on this machine should solve that problem. If not, you will be the second to hear about it! :-)))
Thanks again Dai_trying, and Q4OS Team, and Bin!
Cheers to all.

#46 2018-03-25 05:26

ScorpianQ4OS

Hello Q4OS Team, Dai_Trying, and Bin!
A funny thing happened on the way to my Q4OS Installation. You might recall the issue I was having with getting my WiFi to work. It turns out the only problem was with my ISP WiFi password! The one I gave the Comcast installer was not the one he entered! A simple typo was the cause of all the frustration and sudo this and that command lines.  I discovered this by accident when reviewing all the TCP/IP protocals in my Comcast specs web page. This (is apparently what that "Secrets Required, secrets not available" connection failure notice referred to!
Since last here I tried 5 different other linux distros all with the same WiFi connection problems, including several sudo apt-get exercises that shortened my lifespan considerably. :-))). I reinstalled Q4OS earlier, and before the install completed it notified me a WiFi network was detected! It connected immediately after the installation reboot.  I was so amazed, I had to share this with you all!
Anyway, as you might recall, my last message referred to all your efforts as successful rather than failures, and today confirms it! So, next time to run into a PC fence post like me, you might want to start out by having them verify their ISP WiFi password! LOL
Hope this finds you all well and living large!
Cheers!!!!

#47 2018-03-25 08:16

bin

ScorpianQ4OS wrote:

Hello Q4OS Team, Dai_Trying, and Bin!
A funny thing happened on the way to my Q4OS Installation......

Probably marginally safer than going to a Forum then smile

#48 2018-03-25 22:56

ScorpianQ4OS

But no where near as exciting and fun!
Cheers Bin

Board footer