You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-09 19:06

Keith

Connecting to WAP protected Router.

Just Installed Q4OS on an acer aspire 1 netbook, but unable to make a network connection. I found my network, selected it, and the security mode (WAP personal). I then entered the security key, and 'connect & save', but after a few moments, I get a notification that 'secrets are required, but are not available'. I assume this is referring to the security code, but I get the same result om several attempts - the code is correct - any ideas please? (The connection works fine on LinuxMint).

#2 2017-11-09 21:23

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Connecting to WAP protected Router.

We recommend you to run the plain network manager ui from terminal:
$ nmtui
try to make a connection and post back. The NetworkManager text user interface tool, 'nmtui', provides a user interface to configure networking by controlling NetworkManager.

#3 2017-11-10 18:55

Keith

Thanks for the quick reply - tried your suggestion and now the wifi connects OK. My network appeared twice in the list of networks available, so I 'edited' them to see if the passwords, etc were OK, and in both cases, everything seemed OK. I deleted one of the network instances, and then it connected OK - a bit puzzled by the notification about 'secrets' I mentioned in my first post, but since its all OK, no problems. Looking forward to playing with it for a while to see how it goes.

I have tried in the past to install Linux MInt and Ubuntu on the machine (an Acer Aspire One D270), because I need a small easily portable machine (Not one of the heavyweight panoramic games machines!), and the Acer seemed ideal. However, both Mint and Ubuntu had no drivers for the graphics chipset in this machine, and used software rendering. The consequence was that the machine was slow.....(snore). Much searching indicates that no drivers were available for this machine, so it appeared I had wasted my money. Then an online article suggested Q4OS might be OK (It is certainly faster than the alternatives). So thanks a lot for the help. Now I need to configure it so it doesn't resemble Windoze and give me nightmares! ;-)
Keith

#4 2018-03-09 18:34

ScorpianQ4OS

Hello! I just installed Q4OS for Windows on my Win 10 PC. Attempting to setup, but can't do anything because it isn't connecting to my WiFi service, even though Windows 10 has no problem at all connecting. Only one WiFi adapter on this PC, a Dell wireless 1707 802.11b/g/n. Q4OS sees my available network choices, but refuses to connect giving me that "Secrets were required to establish connection but no secrets available". What does this even mean? My WiFi requires a password, which I have entered in the "Shared Keys" box and saved, but it doesn't help nor does rebooting make any difference. Then tried the $ nmtui command, where a password was required but still does not connect.
I've searched for solutions and have seen sites that go into suggesting all kinds of command entries, but these are way above my comprehension and no doubt would only screw things up further if I tried to attempt them.
Anyone here have this same problem and a solution to fix it?
Greatly appreciate any and all help.
Sincerely
Cheers
PS-My WiFi is via my internet providers (Comcast) Gateway Modem if this makes a difference.

Last edited by ScorpianQ4OS (2018-03-09 18:36)

#5 2018-03-09 20:15

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Please run the 'nmtui' command in terminal and post back the exact error message, we will check it and try to help.

#6 2018-03-10 04:01

ScorpianQ4OS

Hello! OK, so I boot into Q4OS and open the terminal. I enter nmtui. The Network Manager TUI opens and I scroll down to and select "Activate a Connection". I then scroll down to and select my WiFi account name which is already detected and displayed. I then scroll right and select "Activate". A new box appears that says "Connecting". Within a few seconds this box disappears and a new box appears which says "Authentication required by Wireless Network. Password or Encryption Keys required to access wireless network". I scroll down to "Password", enter the correct password (did this three times so far) for my WiFi connection, select <OK>. A new box appears saying "Could not activate connection. Activation failed". Select OK and reboot to Windows 10. Please let me know if you need more info. BTW, I tried all this several times from the Internet Connection Tray Icon, including trying a manual set up, all to no avail.
TIA for your attention to this message. I am looking forward to your response.
Cheers!

#7 2018-03-10 06:52

bin

Just a thought - when you're entering the key does the password echo on the screen so you can see what you've typed?

If so, make sure that the case of the letters is the same as on the router - they're case sensitive. Also, are you picking the correct encryption setting - I guess the Comcast uses WPA? You can confirm this easily from Windows by getting the Properties on the Wifi connection. (or at least you can in W8 and earlier I've no experience at all of W10)

#8 2018-03-10 10:23

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@ScorpianQ4OS
Please try to reset all saved wifi connections first, so run in terminal:

sudo rm -rf /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*

Reboot to Q4OS and run nmtui once again. Try to connect to your wifi newtork:

"nmtui" -> "Activate a Connection" -> select your wifi network -> "Activate" 

and post back a result.

#9 2018-03-10 12:06

ScorpianQ4OS

Good Morning Bin, Yes it echoes. This uses WPA2-Personal. Yes, I have been diligent in matching case of my password letters.
I've done this about 8 times to date, checking and re-checking all my entries just in case I made a typo. I can say with all confidence at this point, typos are not at fault.
Thank you for your concern for my issue here. I appreciate your feed back. Hope this finds you and yours all well.
Cheers Bin!

#10 2018-03-10 12:09

ScorpianQ4OS

Good Morning Q4OS Team. I will follow your lead on this and report back the results.
Thank you!
Cheers

#11 2018-03-10 12:37

ScorpianQ4OS

OK, ran "sudo rm -rf /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*" I was asked to enter my OS password, but the terminal no longer accepted any input from me. There was no "~$" prefix where my password would be entered, nor could I type it in. I did not take the next step to activate a connection therefore. Should I have just ignored the password request and proceeded to activate? Figured it is better to do nothing then the wrong thing without first letting you know what happened. Please advise.
Thank you. Cheers

#12 2018-03-10 13:26

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

ScorpianQ4OS wrote:

OK, ran "sudo rm -rf /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*" I was asked to enter my OS password, but the terminal no longer accepted any input from me. There was no "~$" prefix where my password would be entered, nor could I type it in. ...

It's all right, just type your password to the terminal and press Enter, the command should proceed with no error or any other message.

#13 2018-03-10 14:10

ScorpianQ4OS

I could not type my password. The terminal stopped recognizing my keyboard. I could not type anything at all.
Cheers

Last edited by ScorpianQ4OS (2018-03-10 14:11)

#14 2018-03-10 14:18

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

If you are entering a 'sudo' password in terminal, the characters are not printed on the screen. It appears like the terminal is not responding, but it's reading and accepting characters you are typing. You need to type the password and press 'Enter' key.

If the terminal doesn't respond at all, close it and run the command again, then post back a result.

#15 2018-03-10 14:55

ScorpianQ4OS

OK, I went back and started over and when asked for the password typed it in even though nothing appeared on the terminal screen and hit "Enter". The following prompt came up:  (my OSname)@q4os-desktop:~$. I then typed nmtui, hit Enter and the NetworkManager box came up. Selected Activate a Connection, selected my WiFi name, selected Activate. Box came up saying "connecting", then the "Authentication required by wireless network" box came up, where my password was already saved. Selected "OK" and again the Connecting box appeared. Then the Authentication box appeared and this scenario just kept looping until I selected <Cancel>. A box on the tray network connection icon said: "Device wlp2so"  "State:Awaiting Connection". When that closed the "Secrets required" message came up. Nothing changed and no connection.
Cheers!

#16 2018-03-10 16:42

Dai_trying

I think this could possibly be due to the same issue that has been raised before regarding random wifi mac address, can you check if your /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file has the lines

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

if it does not have them you could add them and reboot, hopefully it will resolve this for you. The symptoms you have are similar to a problem I had some time back and this fixed it. Fingers crossed smile

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-03-10 16:43)

#17 2018-03-10 18:32

ScorpianQ4OS

Roger that Dai_trying. I'll try it and let you know what happened. Thank you for joining the "fray" here!
Cheers!

#18 2018-03-10 19:38

ScorpianQ4OS

Dai_trying. I went back into the terminal and entered " /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf". No such command. I then entered sudo rm -rf /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and I was asked to enter my password which I did and got "Permission Denied".
I have to assume I did something, or even everything wrong here? Tried the "find" app, the TDE Help Manuals, the Network Manager Manual (which was empty) all to no avail. Not to try your patience (with over 2,000 posts here, that is probably impossible anyway!), but what did I do wrong?
TIA
Cheers!

#19 2018-03-10 20:04

Dai_trying

Hopefully you didn't delete it, but it would be easy to put that right if you did.

First I just have to say NEVER use sudo with rm along with -rf unless you are sure you know what you are doing! it is a sure fire way to break your Operating System.

With that said you can see what is in your NetworkManager.conf by using the following command

cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

This should give you some output similar to this

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

[ifupdown]
managed=false

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

Although if you don't have the first part (the part I quoted earlier) you can add it using nano editor (very easy to use) with

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

now you can add the device section exactly as it is shown (if it is missing of course)

When you have finished editing the file press Ctrl+x then press y and finally press enter

If there was no output to the first command, or it said No such file or directory, you can create the file by using the command to edit the file, as it will be created if it does not exist, then add the content I have shown from my file (the output demo) and save the file in the same way too.

Hopefully that should get you there but post again if any problems

#20 2018-03-10 23:12

ScorpianQ4OS

OK Dai_trying. That worked. Unfortunately, everything in your demo matched what I found, so no issues with the mac address..
I don't know if this matters or not, but earlier, before you offered your help here, while trying to connect via the nmtui command, I choose the edit option for my WiFi ID and the BSSID box, Mac Address box, and MTU (?) box all were empty.
Another oddity was when I entered my WiFi password the box I entered it seemed to "expect" more input, as it had a break between my password entry and the rest of the box.  I'm sure this means nothing, but did appear odd none the less. And no, I'm not absolutely sure of what I'm doing. I am however absolutely sure I don't know what I'm doing! :-)))
Any other ideas, or should I just give up on Q4OS for Windows?
Thank you Dai_trying.
Cheers!

#21 2018-03-10 23:41

Dai_trying

It would be a shame to "fall at the first hurdle" so let's see if we can find a way to get it working...

I can't say whether your earlier attempts to connect might be having any effect on this or whether what you are seeing is "normal" or not, but this is what I would try

First I would try removing any previously saved settings, reboot and try setting up again.

1. Right click on the network manager icon

2. Select Edit Connections

3. In the Wi-Fi section delete all entries

4. Reboot the machine just to be sure there are no rogue settings residing in ram.

5. After boot up select your network (SSID) from the network manager icon and enter your credentials.

Hopefully this should work

If this doesn't get your WiFi working can you install the package inxi

sudo apt install inxi

and post the output of

inxi -n

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-03-10 23:45)

#22 2018-03-11 00:54

ScorpianQ4OS

OK Dai_trying. Thank you for your persistence! Trying is an understatement. :-))) OK, will give this a try per your instructions, but I have deleted Q4OS several times previously to start over from scratch, as well as deleting my WiFi set up entries. Not sure I did the reboot though before adding credentials again. The sudo apt install inxi will be a first if it comes to it.  I will let you know what happens.
Cheers!

#23 2018-03-11 01:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@ScorpianQ4OS
In addition to Dai_trying's suggestions, thanks Dai_trying for the valuable help, you could generate a system debug file for us to be able to make a low level analysis what happens during connection attempt.

Reboot to Q4OS and make an attempt to connect to wifi network using 'nmtui' tool. Close 'nmtui' and run commands in terminal:

sudo journalctl | gzip > /tmp/journal.gz

and send generated '/tmp/journal.gz' file via e-mail "support@q4os.org" or attach it here to analyze. You can add attachment here by 'post reply -> choose file'

#24 2018-03-11 01:30

ScorpianQ4OS

Deleted all network manager entries. Rebooted. Checked nmtui to be sure nothing there either, and it was empty. Rebooted again for good measure. Right clicked tray Network Manager Icon and added a my SSID anew. (One thing that has always been confusing, during setting up my SSID, on the page where it shows WPA-Personal, there is an entry for "Shared Key" where I enter my WiFi password and hit "Save", but I have to do it twice to actually save it. When I come back to it, it's blank again. Nmtui is the only place where I have been able to input and save this password, which my Modem requires for connection even though in previous connection attempts, the password was not the issue as I have never connected yet. Just an FYI.)
Went to connect and got "Connection Failed. Secrets required....no secrets available.
Opened Terminal and entered sudo apt install inxi.
Prompted for password which was entered.
Reading Package Lists.....done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information....done
E:Unable to locate package inxi
Exited the Terminal.
So, does this mean my download somehow was corrupted?
What does this tell you?
Thank you Dai_trying
Cheers

#25 2018-03-11 08:07

bin

inxi is not installed as standard - you need to have an internet connection to install.

The bit that puzzles me in all this is the 'Secrets required....' stuff which reminds me of the good old days of dial-up modems with linux...

This may be worth a try.
Get a list of wifi sources and signal strength

nmcli dev wifi list

Your router SSID will be in that list - in Konsole you can highlight text with a mouse click and drag to highlight then right click to Copy - open KWrite Programs>Accessories>Utilities>Editors>Kwrite and paste it into a blank doc so you can get to again in case you close the terminal session.
then

sudo nmcli dev wifi con “yourSSIDName” password “yourpassword”

use the "" marks as they are needed.

IF that doesn't work do

sudo systemctl stop networkmanager.service

then repeat.

Last edited by bin (2018-03-11 08:08)

Board footer