You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-17 23:06

Rocky

Canon Pixma MP495

Hi,
Only recently discovered this distro and have to say I am very impressed with it. I have a few questions
I have tried to setup my CanonPixma MP495 but cannot find it in the Canon section of driver database when setting up. I have tried

$ sudo apt-get install foomatic-db printer-driver-all cups 

but still no MP495 included. I am a little surprised as even when I used Debian XFCE the setup did include this printer . Is there something else I can try ?

I have seen elsewhere on the forum questions about who the developers are and whilst I , of course, respect their right to anonymity and to decide when and if to publicly announce their names I feel a little uneasy ( from a security point of view) not knowing anything about them . With the greatest respect how are users to know they are trustworthy without having some idea of who they are ? I see that the distro may be aimed at business users but I feel this matter would be a "put-off" for business users (myself included) in particular .

#2 2017-10-18 08:56

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Canon Pixma MP495

Rocky wrote:

I am a little surprised as even when I used Debian XFCE the setup did include this printer . Is there something else I can try ?

If you have installed 'foomatic-db printer-driver-all cups' packages you should see the 'Canon Pixma MP495' driver in the list, as there is no difference between Debian and Q4OS. Please specify more exact way you try to install the driver.

#3 2017-10-18 08:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Rocky wrote:

I have seen elsewhere on the forum questions about who the developers are and whilst I , of course, respect their right to anonymity and to decide when and if to publicly announce their names I feel a little uneasy ( from a security point of view) not knowing anything about them . With the greatest respect how are users to know they are trustworthy without having some idea of who they are ? I see that the distro may be aimed at business users but I feel this matter would be a "put-off" for business users (myself included) in particular .

Thank you for that opinion. Please read this topic for more detailed info http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=676

#4 2017-10-18 17:31

crosscourt
Website

Rocky, businesses would become acquainted with the devs when they express interest and get to know one another. Even if they revealed their names that situation wouldnt change as they still know nothing about them initially.

No matter what distro you use always take security precautions, but given the amount of scrutiny that happens online with many mainstream distros, it would be tough to pull one over on users. They know full well if anything happens their product is toast and users will drop it quickly.

I dont have any issues with the devs remaining private but over time as Q4OS becomes more popular, being more transparent could be an advantage.

On the printer side my wife uses that printer and Ive had no issues setting it up in Q4OS with drivers already available

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-10-18 17:32)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#5 2017-10-18 22:14

Rocky

q4osteam wrote:

If you have installed 'foomatic-db printer-driver-all cups' packages you should see the 'Canon Pixma MP495' driver in the list, as there is no difference between Debian and Q4OS. Please specify more exact way you try to install the driver.

I was using the Classic menu and had added "Print System" to the menu in the TDE panel configuration. When selecting "Add Printer" from that "Print System" menu  a wizard then appeared as part of which the printer was found  and on continuing Canon offered but for some reason not all the Canon drivers are then presented . Perhaps the wizard calls on a different subset of drivers ?

In any case I noticed that there was also a "Print System" submenu in "Settings" which leads directly to the web based CUPS port 631 interface. Selecting Add printer from that again found the printer but this time offered all the Canon drivers including the Pixma MP495 (or at least 490 range) and the printer is now up and running.

Thanks for your help.

#6 2017-10-18 22:21

Rocky

crosscourt wrote:

Rocky, businesses would become acquainted with the devs when they express interest and get to know one another. Even if they revealed their names that situation wouldnt change as they still know nothing about them initially.

No matter what distro you use always take security precautions, but given the amount of scrutiny that happens online with many mainstream distros, it would be tough to pull one over on users. They know full well if anything happens their product is toast and users will drop it quickly.

I dont have any issues with the devs remaining private but over time as Q4OS becomes more popular, being more transparent could be an advantage.

Perhaps so , I just don't understand the need for the secrecy - most other distros that I have tried seem to be upfront about the team members. True knowing the names still wouldn't make any major difference but having some sort of knowledge as to the devs background and experience  would surely make it more likely that businesses might make the initial approach. In my business I would normally try to find out a little about the product and service suppliers I deal with.

#7 2017-10-18 22:41

crosscourt
Website

If you were interested you would inquire and a relationship would be formed and everyone would get to know one another and their backgrounds.  I know nothing about most of the backgrounds of people who work on most distros unless its a mainstream distro like Fedora or Ubuntu. I think Q4OS speaks for itself, and a number of well known reviewers have raved about it, and really didnt have any issues with the devs privacy.

Sometimes devs do openup like texstar with PCLinuxOS but honestly thats not all that common.  The choice remains with the user as to whether they are comfortable with using or doing business with them.  I have no issues contacting them directly if I wanted to do business to gain more info and typically thats what we all do no matter what the situation.

Honestly I dont trust anybody and I test distros for lengthy periods before i install them on my main system. Most businesses would probably test and research Q4OS to see whats under the hood and decide if they are interested.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-10-18 22:45)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

Board footer