You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-08 18:51

eabVivrtBJ

Can't input Chinese character in KWrite

As stated in the subject, after installing IBus and ibus-pinyin, I can enter Chinese character in LibreOffice Writer and Google Chrome, but not KWrite, Konquerer. What should I do to get IBus working with these applications?

#2 2017-07-09 05:27

bin

Re: Can't input Chinese character in KWrite

Do you have the packages tde-i18n-zhcn-trinity and tde-i18n-zhtw-trinity installed?

#3 2017-07-09 10:17

eabVivrtBJ

bin wrote:

Do you have the packages tde-i18n-zhcn-trinity and tde-i18n-zhtw-trinity installed?

I installed these two packages.
I installed ibus-gtk, ibus-gtk3, ibus-qt4. Do I miss anything here?
Logout and login again.

Still can't enter chinese character. I reboot the system. Still the same.

I think it has to do with KDE or Qt setting or Trinity setting? I tried to create a folder on the desktop and give it a chinese name, but apparently I can't for the Edit box simply doesn't respond to Ibus.

The reason I suspect Qt is because I install leafpad (a GTK+ text editor) from Synaptic Package Manager, and it works with IBus. I can enter chinese character into it. I save some chinese text in leafpad to a file with chinese name. Konquerer displays the name correctly. I open the file in kwrite. Kwrite displays the text correctly, it's just that I can't enter chinese character with kwrite.

#4 2017-07-09 12:08

bin

OK, next step - Open Control Centre>Regional & Accessibility>Keyboard Layout.

Have you got Chinese keyboard layout enabled?

When typing do you select Chinese keyboard via the tool in the system tray?

When you select the font in kwrite does it show the preview in Chinese characters?

Can you coy and paste from leafpad to kwrite correctly?

I certainly think you're on the right track as if it displays correctly then typing should be possible.

#5 2017-07-09 15:06

eabVivrtBJ

I added Chinese keyboard layout and used 'default' layout variant.

I make sure I choose the Chinese keyboard layout from the TDE Keyboard Tool before I type in kwrite.

I can copy chinese text from leafpad to kwrite. The text is displayed correctly in kwrite.

The only font preview in kwrite is when I configure the editor font. The preview text is always "The Quick Brown Fox...".

But, I still can't enter chinese text in kwrite, konquerer.

Should I install fcitx?

#6 2017-07-09 17:43

crosscourt
Website

Im not as familiar with TDE vs KDE but with KDE fcitx generally is a better choice. Heres an older thread from 2014 that may help you at least move in the right direction. 

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=122114

Take a look at this thread as well,
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=41445

The devs may be able to steer you in a better direction in regards to TDE if the issue continues.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-09 18:20)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#7 2017-07-10 19:30

sergioandvar
Website

I have used iBus to write Korean hangul (한글) characters in Q4OS TDE. As much as I remember I didn't have any problem writing folder names on Konqueror.

(I'm not using Q4OS right now, so I can't help you more).

Q4OS Colombian User

#8 2017-07-10 19:31

sergioandvar
Website

Maybe you should give it a try to a different Imput Method Engine... Fcitx?

Q4OS Colombian User

#9 2017-07-12 09:27

eabVivrtBJ

I performed a clean installation from scratch. This time, I installed fcitx only. But, I aslo install LXDE alongside TDE. I installed Pinyin, Hangul input methods for fcitx as well as the respective fonts through TDE-i18n-* packages.

I still can't enter any chinese or korean characters into Qt-based applications. These applcations would not respond to Ctrl+SPACE key combination to switch input method. Neither do they respond to mouse click on the tray icon to switch input method.

Since I installed LXDE (GTK-based), I have access to PCManFM (GTK-based) file manager in TDE. I launch it, open the Desktop folder, create a folder, switch input method (CTRL+SPACE), and enter some chinese characters, click OK. The new folder appears on the desktop in TDE, displaying the name correctly.

So, I think, it is the matter of getting TDE to respond to switch-input-method command, either through key combination or mouse click. The current situation is, Qt-based application including TDE itself won't respond to switch-input-method command.

I logout and login again to LXDE. In LXDE, the Qt-based applications I tried (Kwrite, Kate, Konquerer) would not respond to switch-input-method command.

Is there any environment setting do I have enable for TDE to work with Input Method Framework (fcitx and IBus)? I thought fcitx and IBus should just work after installation.

#10 2017-07-12 16:07

sergioandvar
Website

eabVivrtBJ wrote:

I performed a clean installation from scratch. This time, I installed fcitx only. But, I aslo install LXDE alongside TDE. I installed Pinyin, Hangul input methods for fcitx as well as the respective fonts through TDE-i18n-* packages.

I still can't enter any chinese or korean characters into Qt-based applications. These applcations would not respond to Ctrl+SPACE key combination to switch input method. Neither do they respond to mouse click on the tray icon to switch input method.

Since I installed LXDE (GTK-based), I have access to PCManFM (GTK-based) file manager in TDE. I launch it, open the Desktop folder, create a folder, switch input method (CTRL+SPACE), and enter some chinese characters, click OK. The new folder appears on the desktop in TDE, displaying the name correctly.

So, I think, it is the matter of getting TDE to respond to switch-input-method command, either through key combination or mouse click. The current situation is, Qt-based application including TDE itself won't respond to switch-input-method command.

I logout and login again to LXDE. In LXDE, the Qt-based applications I tried (Kwrite, Kate, Konquerer) would not respond to switch-input-method command.

Is there any environment setting do I have enable for TDE to work with Input Method Framework (fcitx and IBus)? I thought fcitx and IBus should just work after installation.

Have you seen the Arch Wiki? This could help you:

IBus: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus
Fcitx: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fcitx

Q4OS Colombian User

#11 2017-07-13 18:58

eabVivrtBJ

Alright. I installed KDE Plasma. Guess what? Qt-based applications respond to switch-input-method command in KDE Plasma.

On my side, at least, LXDE and TDE have problem with fcitx and IBus. In KDE Plasma, at least fcitx works fine. I can enter chinese characters in KDE Plasma.

Strange, isn't it?

#12 2017-07-13 23:30

crosscourt
Website

It is strange and fcitx has always worked very well with KDE.   Not sure how sergionandvar was able to get it working in TDE.
Glad its working for you finally.

KDE has improved as I run it with another distro with great success.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-13 23:31)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#13 2017-07-13 23:43

sergioandvar
Website

crosscourt wrote:

It is strange and fcitx has always worked very well with KDE.   Not sure how sergionandvar was able to get it working in TDE.
Glad its working for you finally.

KDE has improved as I run it with another distro with great success.

Honestly, I don't know what to say.

I remember I always installed ibus-hangul which install Hangul iBus input and its frontend. What I usually did after installing was starting ibus-config or ibus-daemon and I configured Korean Input. After this, ibus started with the desktop without my help.

I remember there's the chance to edit some "invisible" files in /home as exposed in IBus entry on the Arch Wiki.

In my experience I've had more problem trying to set Hangul writing on KDE.

I hope you can solve it.

Q4OS Colombian User

#14 2017-07-14 00:42

crosscourt
Website

Hes probably going to use KDE for now it appears.  When you were using it sergioandvar it was an older version of Q4OS?  Maybe something has changed since your original experience.

#15 2017-07-15 04:20

sergioandvar
Website

I remember I was using the latest stable version of Q4OS in April I guess. I remember I had no difficulties writing in Korean. In theory this could apply for Chinese and Japanese.

Q4OS Colombian User

#16 2017-07-17 21:05

crosscourt
Website

I wonder if older versions worked and the issue cropped up later?

Board footer