You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-10 13:47

FlexQ4

The latest 2-3 updates

Hi,
i got the latest 2 or 3 updetes (which led me to Orion 1.8.4, brought some updates for LibreOffice 4.3.3.2, and today some patches for debian itself i think).
Thanks to conky, i noticed a significant increase of disk-space used on the filesystem after that: 200 MB.
Is there any ecplanation for this plenty of increase?
I tried  apt-get purge,  but it doesn't purge or flush anything at all...

Thanks in advance,
Flex

#2 2017-05-10 16:29

Dai_trying

Re: The latest 2-3 updates

You could use

sudo apt-get clean

This will remove all downloaded .deb files that are cached which will free up some space and probably get back the space used by the libre office updates. There is also the option of "autoclean" which should only remove .deb files for packages that cannot be downloaded (removed from repository with new version release), which can be useful if you want to keep the current .deb files but remove outdated package files.

As for an explanation, the package files (.deb files) are kept in case of future re-installation to save you having to download them again (and also to help reduce the load on the debian repository servers I imagine).

#3 2017-05-10 17:19

FlexQ4

Dai_trying wrote:

You could use

sudo apt-get clean

This will remove all downloaded .deb files that are cached which will free up some space and probably get back the space used by the libre office updates.

Thanks Dai, this helped a lot: about 0.8 GB of stuff was purged.
It's not the case that i'm that worried about  caching the .deb files - now that i know how easy it can be freed indeed.

Dai_trying wrote:

As for an explanation, the package files (.deb files) are kept in case of future re-installation to save you having to download them again (and also to help reduce the load on the debian repository servers I imagine).

As a matter of fact, i do have to download all updates a second time: on my backup-disk.
And i'm still wondering how to avoid this, with an appropriate backup/cloning tool:
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1500
(as you probaby remember wink)

#4 2017-05-10 17:36

Dai_trying

FlexQ4 wrote:

And i'm still wondering how to avoid this, with an appropriate backup/cloning tool:
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1500
(as you probaby remember wink)

I have a rather different approach to backups, I only ever backup what is important and I don't consider OS to be important (as far as backups go). I can install Q4OS with all updates and software I want in less than an hour and using my themebackup I will have my desktop restored too. I have all data that I want/need backed up in daily/weekly and monthly backups with a different file set for each backup. I simply use scripts and tar to get everything that I consider important backed up and then should I have a failure of any sort I can use my backups for data retrieval on any OS or HDD without any problems between OS's.

One reason I do my backups like this is due to the fact that I use multiple Operating Systems and they all share a common Data partition (except Windows which I rarely boot) which hold all my important data. I create links in my home folder to these directories on each OS, so the file I edit in Debian Xfce is also available (with no sharing etc) on my Q4OS Scorpion and also Q4OS Orion, and other distro's but I won't bore you with my OS eccentricity. smile Backups are all done from my data partition which is also a little more safe due to it existing on a different partition in the first place, making a script by far the simplest and quickest way to backup.

#5 2017-05-10 22:11

crosscourt
Website

I use Bleachbit to keep my system clean, and you can set it however you like, with some recommendations included to avoid issues. Its available thru synaptic and i tend to lean towards conservative settings.  www.bleachbit.org

I feel the same way as Dai, as the OS isnt a consideration for me, as I backup my data directly to a separate backup drive. I dont run multiple partitions and stick to one OS per drive.  In my case its easy to get back up and running very quickly.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-05-11 00:16)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

Board footer