You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-23 09:46

eyespy

couple of questions Please!

Hi all big_smile ,

I have just recently come across Q4OS, as my main OS currently is still XP but I am looking for an alternative. I have tried the Live CD edition & was quite frankly impressed, would it be possible to ask a couple of questions?

1) I know that the core elements of Q4OS are loaded into ram with the LiveCD edition of Q4OS but if I was install Q4OS to a suitable hard drive would it be possible for the core elements, as in the LiveCd version to be loaded into ram to keep Q4OS more responsive?

2) Are you able to custom build/pre-install (remove) software within Q4OS with your own variety of software e.g. XPQ4 as in many other linux distributions?

And with these questions if the answer is yes to any of these questions how do you go about it Please, if no are there any plans for them to be incorporated in newer editions of Q4OS?

Best Regards,

David big_smile

#2 2017-04-23 09:59

Dai_trying

Re: couple of questions Please!

1.) I haven't tried doing this, although it could be a useful boot mode, perhaps Q4OS Team will have better information on that.

2.) XpQ4 is not directly available as an installable package but can be easily installed, I have an install tutorial, and this page should help you get it installed. If you have any problems just post and I will try to help. smile
And if I understand your question correctly you might want to create some installation media to have this all set up when installation is completed, if so you can check out this post, it is not the simplest of things to do but I have managed to make custom installers to have my favourite packages installed and set some UI properties to my liking.

#3 2017-04-23 11:32

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

eyespy wrote:

I know that the core elements of Q4OS are loaded into ram with the LiveCD edition of Q4OS but if I was install Q4OS to a suitable hard drive would it be possible for the core elements, as in the LiveCd version to be loaded into ram to keep Q4OS more responsive?

No, such dedicated option is not directly available. Nonetheless, Linux kernel takes care about buffering as much as possible libraries and components in RAM, so the core system should be actually buffered and used from RAM memory, if enough amount of RAM is available.

#4 2017-04-23 12:24

eyespy

big_smile Firstly Dai_trying can I express my gratitude to you for replying to my questions in a very prompt manner.

1) Also Q4OS team, thank you for your prompt reply big_smile . So If I am reading this right there is no benefit in loading the majority of Q4OS into ram as the kernel already does this & no speed or very little speed increase will be attained? 

2) Thank you for the link to pre-install remaster Q4OS I will read & inwardly digest. I will need to acquire a further hard drive from my brother-in-law to investigate this further.

Regards & Respect,

Cheers!

David  big_smile

#5 2017-04-23 14:27

Dai_trying

You are welcome, and if you run into any issues please add a new post with relevant title to enable others to find solutions if they have the same issues.

1.) There are some distro's that run in RAM, but they are usually more aimed at being installed to USB and run entirely from there, and as such are prone to issues with persistence (in my limited experience).

2.) It can be a little tricky remastering the iso image, but I use the live-cd for all my installations and it is easier to modify this than the installation only image.

Also you can multiboot q4os without too many problems, I usually have 2 or 3 installations (on 1 HDD) on my machines for testing different configurations in order to keep my main installation free from the clutter that can sometimes result from installing / removing / modifying many packages (to find one I like best).

Board footer