You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-07 07:45

Regular Egg

How to keybind scrot as default screenshot program? (SOLVED)

Hi, just getting used to using Q4OS and I like what I've seen so far. smile Great distro!

I'm fine tuning it to my liking, so here's my first question:

I'm not fond of screenshot programs as they involve usually at least 2-3 clicks to take a screenshot.

I would like to replace KSnapshot with scrot and bind scrot to the "Print Screen" key. I've already installed scrot from Synaptic. It works when run from the terminal, but I don't want to have to call up the terminal and type in commands to take a screenshot.

What would be the steps to binding the Print Screen key to scrot to take a full screen capture?
(I don't need details such as capture areas, time delay or saving in different image formats - I'm fine with the default scrot instant full-screen png output.)

Thanks to any and all who could assist me with this!

Last edited by Regular Egg (2017-04-07 09:37)

#2 2017-04-07 08:13

Dai_trying

Re: How to keybind scrot as default screenshot program? (SOLVED)

You can do this without any other packages, simply press PrtScr and then right click on the desktop and select Paste clipboard contents, this will display a dialog where you can enter the filename and image type and the file will be saved to the desktop. You could also open konqueror to browse to preferred folder, again right click and select Paste clipboard contents and file will be saved to preferred location.

#3 2017-04-07 09:36

Regular Egg

That's simple! I see I can also paste the screenshot image into KolourPaint, works great.

Thank you, Dai, for your quick and very helpful reply!

#4 2017-04-07 09:39

Dai_trying

You are welcome smile

And yes, you can paste it into any application that will accept clipboard contents. cool

#5 2017-04-07 10:10

Regular Egg

Works great with Pinta, my go-to quick graphics editor.

I like how when pasted on to the desktop it gives graphic format save options from which to choose, too. Saves an extra step in converting a screenshot to a diff format.

A lot easier than digging through keybinding settings! big_smile

Board footer