You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-04 01:01

aboutblank

Konqueror/Trinity R14.04 View Mode Icon (ActionList:viewmode_toolbar)

I'm using Q4OS Orion 1.8.1-n1 with Konqueror/Trinity R14.04 file manager.  When I open any file manager window, I have an icon on the far right of my toolbar which is (I think) supposed to drop down a selection menu when I click it, allowing me to change the current View.  The choices I had hoped to see are the ones on the top level View - View Mode menu, such as Icon View, Detailed List View, etc.  When I click the icon, however, the icon "indents", but no selection menu opens, so I can't use it to change views.

I thought perhaps I could remove and reinstall the icon in question by using "Configure Toolbars..." right-click menu.  I found a text item on that menu called "ActionList:viewmode_toolbar", but (surprisingly) no graphical icon like the one that actually appears on the file manager toolbar.  When I removed the text entry, the entry did not reappear in the list of items one can choose to add to the menu.  So, after saving the toolbar and re-editing it to add the entry back and test if it worked, I was unable to, because the "ActionList:viewmode_toolbar" entry no longer appeared in the list of accessible choices (nor did the graphical icon).  Fortunately, I had a current backup, and was able to restore my entire system in order to bring the entry back to the toolbar.

For what it is worth, I have Kwin installed, but did not activate it by running 'kwin --replace', so its eye-candy graphical effects were not in use.  I am not sure whether merely being installed would have such an effect, but wanted to mention it, in case there is some unknown conflict that installing Kwin has caused.

I wanted to report the above so others can test to confirm whether the problem is general or just local on my machine.

And I have one related question:  When I run Kwin, the graphical effects are great, but there is some interference with other Trinity Desktop graphical functions (e.g., the screen saver no  longer covers the taskbar, and when returning from a locked session, the background is no longer blacked out, so prior open windows remain visible).  To "unload" Kwin, the only sure way that I know of is to end my current session and sign in again.  Does anyone know how to "unload" Kwin without having to sign out and in again?  (I tried running in a terminal, "twin --replace", but that method produced other serious problems with my display.)

Once again, thanks in advance.

aboutblank
December 3, 2016

Last edited by aboutblank (2016-12-04 01:04)

#2 2016-12-04 10:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Konqueror/Trinity R14.04 View Mode Icon (ActionList:viewmode_toolbar)

aboutblank wrote:

When I click the icon, however, the icon "indents", but no selection menu opens, so I can't use it to change views.

Yes, it's known TDE glitch. You only need to hold the button for a while for drop down activation.

aboutblank wrote:

Does anyone know how to "unload" Kwin without having to sign out and in again?

As far as we know, it's not possible without sign off/on. We will still try to investigate if there would be some option and let you know, if possible.

#3 2016-12-04 22:43

aboutblank

q4osteam wrote:
aboutblank wrote:

When I click the icon, however, the icon "indents", but no selection menu opens, so I can't use it to change views.

Yes, it's known TDE glitch. You only need to hold the button for a while for drop down activation.

Thanks!  Holding down the mouse button on the icon indeed works! 

Also, thanks for confirming that one must sign off and back on to "unload Kwin"!

aboutblank
December 4, 2016

#4 2016-12-05 00:43

aboutblank

aboutblank wrote:

Also, thanks for confirming that one must sign off and back on to "unload Kwin"!

Actually, I discovered a way to change the desktop manager without signing off and back on, that appears to work:  use the Control Panel!:

To change Desktop Windows Manager:  Control Panel - Appearance & Themes (1st item) -
                                                          Window Decorations (last item) -
                                                          Window Manager (last tab); drop down box selects the
                                                          window manager to use, takes effect immediately;

(Note: in TDE's twin, can do immediately by right-clicking
                                                          any window's top border, and selecting
                                                          Configure Window Behavior..., then Window Decorations,
                                                          then the Window Manager tab, etc.; in KDE's kwin, can't do
                                                          it this way, so use the Control Panel, as explained above)

(I've begun collecting a bunch of random tips for Windows users like myself, from which I extracted the above, hence the unusual formatting; I have attached my text file containing those tips here, for anyone who might find it useful.)

aboutblank
December 4, 2016

Attachments:
txt Q4OS Linux Quick Reference.txt, Size: 2.39 KiB, Downloads: 741

Board footer