You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-30 21:14

videomicloud

Having problem setting up file sharing

New installation of Q4OS and I've got Samba setup and working for accessing all my Windows shares, but I can't seem to get Q4OS setup to allow the Windows machines access to folders and files.

When I right click on a folder in Dolphin or Konquerer (regardless of the file manager I use) I can see the share tab and the "configure file sharing" tab, but when I click on it, it grays out for a second, then nothing happens. Abpve where it says "configure file sharing" is the text "you need to be authorized to share folders." A few times it has brought up a prompt to enter my password, but after entering it, nothing happens. I've spent a couple hours on various forums trying to figure out what the problem could be without luck. I thought that by entering my password I was giving authorization to setup the share?

From Windows boxes, I can see the Q4OS machine when browsing the network but when I click the machine, it shows the name of the computer and just sits there, eventually prompting a permission error. I found one post on here with someone having the same problem but the solution didn't work for me (it was installing a KDE network package of some sort). I can open, copy, paste files from Windows machines just fine on the Q4OS box. So I know that networking is setup. I'm sure this is a permission issue of some sort somewhere but darn if I can figure out where.

I haven't done anything as far as changing any permissions or users on this system so everything is at the default. I do have my network workgroup set in my smb.conf file but it's otherwise at the default settings as well. I've messed around with a few other suggested configurations in the file but none helped. So I restored the original smb.conf with just my workgroup set. Any help is appreciated.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.

#2 2016-11-30 21:33

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Having problem setting up file sharing

First of all, attach your '/etc/samba/smb.conf' file here or send it to support@q4os.org to analyze.

You will need to add Samba users:
$ sudo smbpasswd -a <new_samba_user>
You will also probably need to define 'security=user/share/server' option in smb.conf.
Please read samba configuration guide https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Sa … stall.html

videomicloud wrote:

When I right click on a folder in Dolphin or Konquerer (regardless of the file manager I use) I can see the share tab and the "configure file sharing" tab, but when I click on it, it grays out for a second, then nothing happens.

Please install 'tdenetwork-filesharing-trinity' package to get it work:
sudo apt-get install tdenetwork-filesharing-trinity

#3 2016-12-01 03:15

videomicloud

Will work through suggestions tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the quick reply!

Chris Blair

#4 2016-12-02 01:30

videomicloud

I just ended up installing webmin since I use it extensively with websites and asset management systems. That made it easy to set everything up without having to mess around with making mistakes in smb.conf. Should've done that to begin with! Way easier for my small brain! But thanks for the great support on here. I'm setting up a second workstation with Q4OS and will donate to the cause next week after sorting that install out.

Chris Blair

#5 2016-12-02 08:11

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

In addition, we can highly recommend you very comprehensible tutorial 'Samba Server Installation on Debian 8 (Jessie)', it describes configuration in an easy and clean way. If you will exactly follow all steps beginning chapter '2. Installing Samba' , you will get a clean basic Samba server setup working with Windows XP/7/8/10.
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/deb … ba-server/

#6 2016-12-02 14:03

videomicloud

Yes I actually found that on my own but webmin is still way easier. It sets everything up for you with a nice graphical interface and allows you to set up just about every feature of samba. I had actually forgot that webmin had that because I use it primarily on remote web servers...so I don't use the samba module on those. But thanks for all the great advice! Great community here.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.

#7 2016-12-02 14:05

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You are welcome smile

Board footer