You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-29 21:04

tlmiller76

Create OpenConnect VPN connection in TDENetworkManager

So far liking q4os, however have 1 issue.  I need to be able to connect to openconnect VPN for my job.  I've got network-manager-openconnect (and network-manager-openconnect-gnome to see if that worked) installed, however when I go to create a new VPN interface, the "Service" dropdown doesn't have anything listed.  Is there some packages that I'm missing?

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#2 2016-11-29 22:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Create OpenConnect VPN connection in TDENetworkManager

TDENetworkManager is not capable to handle openconnect VPN connections. It could use 'network-manager-openvpn' and 'network-manager-vpnc' plugins only. As a replacement you could install Network Manager from Q4OS Software centre, as it's more powerful.

#3 2016-11-30 02:12

tlmiller76

q4osteam wrote:

TDENetworkManager is not capable to handle openconnect VPN connections. It could use 'network-manager-openvpn' and 'network-manager-vpnc' plugins only. As a replacement you could install Network Manager from Q4OS Software centre, as it's more powerful.

Hey, that IS so much better.

Why isn't that the default manager?  Works a charm, and it's easier to use than the tde network manager.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#4 2016-11-30 10:04

Rademes

tlmiller76 wrote:

Why isn't that the default manager?

Same question. Default TDE network manager works good only with wired networks. Using Wireless network I had connection losses after certain time periods.

tlmiller76 wrote:

Works a charm, and it's easier to use than the tde network manager.

Agree with this fully.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-11-30 10:08)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#5 2016-11-30 14:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

tlmiller76 wrote:

Why isn't that the default manager?

- sometimes suffers from this minor bug https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2687
- tdenetworkmanager's lightness and better integration into the TDE desktop.
- tdenetworkmanager works fine and reliably within our systems and testing machines.

Rademes wrote:

Default TDE network manager works good only with wired networks. Using Wireless network I had connection losses after certain time periods.

We didn't notice such issue so far, it could be some sort of hardware dependent issue. Is it possible to describe it as exactly as possible ? Did you notice any connections, for example network load misbehavior, disconnection periods, etc...?

#6 2016-11-30 16:30

Rademes

Sorry, I have not catched, what happened in system exactly, otherwise it would be reported already. The only things I can tell, network losses happened at different periods of time, when there was not any data transfer. I downloaded files, then worked some time without using Internet, then tried to access website and could not... I had to manually reconnect. Maybe It was because of WPA2-PSK encryption, TDE network manager forgot password...I can not clearly remember, sorry. I used TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless USB Adapter.
With Network Manager from Q4OS Software centre it worked correctly without any network losses. Also in Linux Mint 18 it works correctly.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#7 2016-12-01 04:08

tlmiller76

Rademes wrote:

Sorry, I have not catched, what happened in system exactly, otherwise it would be reported already. The only things I can tell, network losses happened at different periods of time, when there was not any data transfer. I downloaded files, then worked some time without using Internet, then tried to access website and could not... I had to manually reconnect. Maybe It was because of WPA2-PSK encryption, TDE network manager forgot password...I can not clearly remember, sorry. I used TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless USB Adapter.
With Network Manager from Q4OS Software centre it worked correctly without any network losses. Also in Linux Mint 18 it works correctly.

I had EXACTLY the same problem when I was running base Debian on a laptop that had Broadcom wifi with wicd.  Switched to network manager and it went away.  Not in any way related, just posting to say I've seen the same behavior.

Last edited by tlmiller76 (2016-12-01 04:18)

#8 2016-12-01 11:16

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

tlmiller76 wrote:

... running base Debian on a laptop that had Broadcom wifi with wicd.  Switched to network manager and it went away.  Not in any way related, just posting to say I've seen the same behavior.

Thanks for that report, even it's not directly related to tdenetworkmanager. We would need to collect some more info, so if anyone else noticed similar issues feel free to report them.

Board footer