You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-18 04:36

aboutblank

Is it possible to configure the Screensaver.....?

Using Q4OS 1.8.1-n1, I notice that the screensaver that I have configured does not cover the entire screen, that is, the taskbar still shows at the bottom of the screen.  Is there a way to have the screensaver cover the entire screen?

For security, I would like the dialog security window that shows when terminating the screensaver to NOT reveal the contents of the screen that was locked when I invoked the screensaver (with Alt-Ctrl-L, to lock the screen).  In other words, I'd like to have the dialog window pop up over the screen saver design, or at least, to pop up over a blank screen, requiring me to enter my password before the underlying screen's contents are revealed.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

I'm using Kwin desktop windows manager for 'eye candy' effects, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

aboutblank
November 17, 2016

Last edited by aboutblank (2016-11-18 04:40)

#2 2016-11-18 08:14

Dai_trying

Re: Is it possible to configure the Screensaver.....?

I think this must be a side effect of installing other packages, I just tested my system and when the screensaver is interrupted it show just the password dialog and the background wallpaper, no taskbar or running applications.

#3 2016-11-18 09:39

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

aboutblank wrote:

... I notice that the screensaver that I have configured does not cover the entire screen, that is, the taskbar still shows at the bottom of the screen.

It may be about this bug https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2560 , it has been included into the TDE R14.0.5 list by TDE devs.

aboutblank wrote:

I'm using Kwin desktop windows manager for 'eye candy' effects, if that makes any difference.

Using Kwin instead of the default TDE window manager could cause similar issue too.

#4 2016-11-19 07:18

aboutblank

Thanks, Dai_trying and Q4OS Team.  The effect does indeed appear to be caused by Kwin compositing.  A workaround I found is to 1) turn on one of the "hide" arrows on the task bar configuration screen, and hide the taskbar prior to locking the screen; and 2) use Alt-Shift-F12 to toggle off the Kwin compositing.  Then, locking the screen with Alt-Ctrl-L works "normally", i.e., the screen is completely hidden during the lock, and pressing a key to end it displays the unlock password window but continues to hide the rest of desktop until the password is entered.  Then I reverse 1) and 2) to show the taskbar and re-enable Kwin composting.  A little cumbersome, but so far it seems to work reliably. 

A related problem that also appears to be caused by Kwin's compositing occurs when I log off to end my session without shutting down.  If I sign in again without rebooting, the desktop is all but unusable, necessitating a reboot.  The power and wifi applets that are usually in the taskbar are shown instead as very tiny active apps on the desktop (in very small windows that are each difficult to 'grab' to move about, their windows are so tiny!).  And the menu is unresponsive, windows can't be moved, the right-click context menu for the desktop won't appear, etc.  I can sometimes avoid these ill effects by turning off compositing prior to logging off, but haven't tested thoroughly, so can't say that my work around solution is reliable.  Fortunately, rebooting is very fast, so these problems are not show stoppers (for me).

Thanks again!

aboutblank
November 19, 2016

Board footer