You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-14 13:02

tcoulon

No auto login but synaptic needs no password

Hello all,

I'm new to q4os, running on a raspberry pi for now (I'll try on my regular hardware soon).

The systems runs fine on the pi, but two things puzzle me:

- I've tried to enable auto login (graphical) but it does not work, I get sent to pam_nologin(8) every time. I did dearch and read about pam_nologin(8) but it did not show me how to solve this (unimportant) problem. I plan to use the pi as an email and music machine  mainly, to login in is not really a problem (with my daughter growing I may even really NEED it smile)

- I am *not* running as root, but synaptic starts without any password ?!?  No biggie either for me but I'm surprised.

Have a nice day,

Thierry

#2 2016-11-14 17:37

Dai_trying

Re: No auto login but synaptic needs no password

Hi Thierry,
Re password for synaptic
   Once you enter your password to issue a root command (the same for sudo) it will remember the elevated state for 30 minutes (default) so you will not need to re-enter you password again for that time, this can be changed by editing the file /etc/sudoers.d/q4_sudo_confd and set the value of timestamp_timeout to a different value. You can disable this completely by entering a 0 but I would not recommend this as it could cause problems with some scripts that require multiple sudo (or gksudo) command to run.

As for the auto-login, I cannot offer advice for that as I have no access to a Pi machine as yet, but I'm sure the devs will offer some advice. smile

#3 2016-11-14 18:03

nomadxp1

pam_nologin(8) I have the same thing on my pi3..as you say it is not too important..would like to know why though..

#4 2016-11-14 19:38

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

1. Auto-login
Please do not deal with PAM, or other low level configuration, revert all changes you have made to the default first. The easiest way to enable automatic login is to click on the 'Set Autologin' button on the Welcome screen. The alternative way is to use terminal commands, please see chapter 17.4 from this document http://www.q4os.org/dqa007.html#tips.4

2. Password-less commands
Raspbian distribution http://raspbian.org/, unlike Debian, doesn't require password for 'sudo' enabled users. Since Q4OS for Raspberry Pi is based on Raspbian, it just receives Raspbian defaults.

EDIT: You can make a configuration in '/etc/sudoers.d/' to require sudo password, define timeouts and other sudo properties as suggested by Dai_trying above, thanks Dai_trying.

Board footer