You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-13 15:55

Dai_trying

Why so many packages locked to q4os install?

I was going to purge remove anacron and reinstall to see if it fixes an issue I am having, but yet again it is locked to the q4os installation and removing it would remove most of the system!!! this package (IMO) should not be locked in to the desktop as it is surely not REQUIRED by the desktop!? It is not the first package I have wanted to re-install but could not for the same reasons, is this a case of putting too many REQUIREMENTS into the installer just to ensure they are installed but they are not actually REQUIRED in order for the desktop to run?

#2 2016-11-13 17:14

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Why so many packages locked to q4os install?

You can easily reinstall packages in a clean, proper way:
$ sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install anacron

Dai_trying wrote:

...this package (IMO) should not be locked in to the desktop as it is surely not REQUIRED by the desktop!?

Q4OS is not desktop environment only. 'anacron' package is an essential and required package, the Q4OS system would not work properly without it. Since we require maximum system reliability, we need the absolute certainty, such packages are installed in the system, there is no reason to risk unintentional removal of essential packages.

Dai_trying wrote:

... is this a case of putting too many REQUIREMENTS into the installer just to ensure they are installed but they are not actually REQUIRED in order for the desktop to run?

They are definitely required for the complete Q4OS system to work properly.

#3 2016-11-13 18:08

Dai_trying

Re: Why so many packages locked to q4os install?

q4osteam wrote:

You can easily reinstall packages in a clean, proper way:
$ sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install anacron

Thanks guys, that should do what I need, I do find it frustrating when packages that "appear" not to be required are locked in. Sorry for the rant, bad day I guess...

Board footer