You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-19 15:55

bin

Menu Editing Confusion since update to 1.6.2

I'm very puzzled by the new menu edit process.

On the previous releases the MenuEdit launched a pretty familiar menu editor - the new one is strange - it just provides a Konq window headed:-
/home/myuser/.q4data/Programs/

You are going to edit Start Menu.
Start menu structure consists of two logical parts mixed, the system global and user part. You can edit, delete and add custom menu entries for the user part only, global menu entries are not visible in the MenuEditor.
You will be able to create new custom submenus/folders structure and fill it with desired menu entries. You can create new shortcuts using right mouse click, or drag&drop icons from start menu or desktop into the MenuEditor window.
Newly created items will appear in the start menu after closing the MenuEditor window.
Click "Ok" button to show the MenuEditor window.

Perhaps I'm getting too old for this game, but this just does not make sense. I am trying to set the keystroke/shortcuts I use in other distros to use themin Q4OS. The Keyboard Shortcuts in CP Layout & Accessibility only last for the session.
In the Command Shortcuts section it says:-
"Below is a list of known commands which you may assign keyboard shortcuts to. To edit, add or remove entries from this list use the TDE menu editor."
............but the TDE Menu Editor seems to be no more - so I cannot edit the shortcuts.

Is it just me??

#2 2016-09-19 17:53

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Menu Editing Confusion since update to 1.6.2

There are two possible menu structures in Q4OS, organized by Applications or by Categories. The Q4OS default menu structure, organized by Applications, doesn't use TDE menu editor.

You can switch menu structure from the Welcome Screen -> Switch Kickoff menu, and use TDE menu editor according to your needs.

#3 2016-09-19 21:25

bin

No matter which menu system I select I still get the same result - none of which is the old style menu editor I'm afraid.

Looking at the installed files in synaptic there are 2 applications installed
kmenuedit and kcontroledit

Running from Konsole we get

robin@flopsie:~$ kmenuedit
ERROR: Communication problem with kmenuedit, it probably crashed.

This produces the symptoms described above

robin@flopsie:~$ kcontroledit
kcontroledit: WARNING: Could not read /home/robin/.config/menus/applications-tdemenuedit.menu

This produces the KControl Centre editor.

Last edited by bin (2016-09-19 21:25)

#4 2016-09-19 21:35

Dai_trying

I'm not 100% certain, but I would have thought you could edit the .desktop files to change the menu location of a program, although it is obviously not a gui method on menu management so might not be the solution you are looking for.

#5 2016-09-19 21:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

No matter which menu system I select I still get the same result - none of which is the old style menu editor I'm afraid.

So, it is a bug.

If you select Q4OS menu structure (default), see picture,
qg0007.png

and run kmenuedit from terminal, the correct result should look like this:
qg0008.png

If you will select 'by Categories' menu structure:
qg0009.png

and run kmenuedit from terminal, the correct result:
qg0010.png

Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce the issue you have described. Please, select 'by Categories' menu structure from Welcome screen and post output of the command:
$ ls -la $HOME/.config/menus/
for us to analyze.

#6 2016-09-20 05:58

bin

Hi

The problem seems to stem from the fact that on my system the Menu Structure options are all greyed out and not accessible.

Here's the output you requested

robin@flopsie:~$ ls -la $HOME/.config/menus/
total 28
drwxr-xr-x  3 robin robin 4096 May 11 06:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 robin robin 4096 Sep 19 16:50 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 robin robin 4096 May 11 07:07 applications-merged
-rw-r--r--  1 robin robin 4435 Sep 22  2015 .kde4-applications.menu.disabled
lrwxrwxrwx  1 robin robin   37 Oct 14  2014 .q4-kde4-applications.menu.disabled -> /etc/xdg/menus/kde4-applications.menu
lrwxrwxrwx  1 robin robin   48 Feb 15  2015 q4-tde-applications.menu -> /opt/trinity/etc/xdg/menus/tde-applications.menu
-rw-r--r--  1 robin robin 4438 Sep 22  2015 tde-applications.menu

I have trimmed the contents a bit to see if that made any difference but it does not - see below.

Edit:-
I have tried using live media and the process works as expected - it is then possible to access the menu structure.
HOWEVER - whilst it is possible to access the menu entry it seems that the Hotkey/Keyboard Shortcut change does not survive logout.

So, we may have 2 issues here. What happens on an freshly installed machine rather than a live session?

Last edited by bin (2016-09-20 07:08)

Attachments:
png snapshot3.png, Size: 49.77 KiB, Downloads: 665

#7 2016-09-20 06:41

bin

Dai_trying wrote:

I'm not 100% certain, but I would have thought you could edit the .desktop files to change the menu location of a program, although it is obviously not a gui method on menu management so might not be the solution you are looking for.

You know the saying that goes "When you're up to your a**e in alligators it's hard to remember the objective was to get across the swamp"??

This all started because I'm trying to set keyboard shortcuts for specific apps. The keyboard shortcut editor tool in Control Centre only saves Command edits on a per-session basis - log out and they're lost.

It does contain a line that suggests you need to edit the Menu entry to actually do the job - so that's the objective....ouch - geroff!!!! ;-)

#8 2016-09-20 07:51

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

So, we may have 2 issues here. What happens on an freshly installed machine rather than a live session?

Well, lets split the problem into two independent parts to keep an order:

1:

bin wrote:

The problem seems to stem from the fact that on my system the Menu Structure options are all greyed out and not accessible.

2:

bin wrote:

whilst it is possible to access the menu entry it seems that the Hotkey/Keyboard Shortcut change does not survive logout.

Ad1:
We are not able to reproduce, if installed from live-cd even from install-cd. When go to Welcome screen->Switch menu, all options are available, and work as expected. If you would be able to post some steps how to reproduce the issue, we would highly appreciate it.
You could try to remove all shortcuts from the quick launcher, just beside the main menu button, and try to run Welcome screen menu switcher again to see, if options come in. Then you can re-add shortcuts back.

Ad2:
Yes, it's known issue. You only need to enable 'khotkeys' daemon, run it from terminal:
$ khotkeys
All previously defined shortcuts should work fine.
You can permanently enable 'khotkeys' daemon to be ran on session startup:
$ ln -s /opt/trinity/bin/khotkeys /home/adminq/.trinity/Autostart/autostart_khotkeys
This issue should be solved in one of the next Q4OS versions.

#9 2016-09-20 08:31

bin

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

Well, lets split the problem into two independent parts to keep an order:

1:

bin wrote:

2:

bin wrote:

whilst it is possible to access the menu entry it seems that the Hotkey/Keyboard Shortcut change does not survive logout.

Ad1:
We are not able to reproduce, if installed from live-cd even from install-cd. When go to Welcome screen->Switch menu, all options are available, and work as expected. If you would be able to post some steps how to reproduce the issue, we would highly appreciate it.
You could try to remove all shortcuts from the quick launcher, just beside the main menu button, and try to run Welcome screen menu switcher again to see, if options come in. Then you can re-add shortcuts back.

Ad2:
Yes, it's known issue. You only need to enable 'khotkeys' daemon, run it from terminal:
$ khotkeys
All previously defined shortcuts should work fine.
You can permanently enable 'khotkeys' daemon to be ran on session startup:
$ ln -s /opt/trinity/bin/khotkeys /home/adminq/.trinity/Autostart/autostart_khotkeys
This issue should be solved in one of the next Q4OS versions.

Ad1:
That fixed the issue with the behaviour of the Menu Switcher - I noticed that when I removed the Desktop quick launcher, more items appeared for removal. When I upgraded to 1.6.2 all the desktop icons were duplicated, they vanished after reboot. Maybe that was part of it - anyhow that was something of a left-field fix but it worked.

Ad2:
Thank you - that is now working fine.

Once again thank you team, your help is greatly appreciated.

#10 2016-09-20 10:36

Rademes

I was wondering too, why keyboard hotkeys does not working after reboot. Thank you! That issue should be fixed!

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

Board footer