You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-08 22:30

q4os_user

Which SSD to choose? Any issues? Does TRIM support work in Q4OS?

Would Samsung EVO 850 be OK? Some people had problems with Samsung SSDs and Linux TRIM support. I'm kind of worried because Q4OS 1.6 seems to be using a pretty old kernel, so I'm not sure if these patches are there.

I'm also considering Kingston, GOODRAM, and SanDisk SSDs...

And how do I actually activate TRIM (it is always recommended to enable it) in Q4OS? Or is it turned on by default?

#2 2016-09-09 06:51

bin

Re: Which SSD to choose? Any issues? Does TRIM support work in Q4OS?

I use fstrim with kernel 3.13 - no problem. It works fine with the stock 3.16.x installed by Q4OS. SSDs I use are Intel and Corsair.

The following assumes you know what you're doing or are prepared to play/experiment/learn.

Edit fstab to add noatime to partitions except for swap - this reduces writes which is what you're trying to achieve.

If fiddling with fstab - make a backup first. I keep mine in /etc with another in my /home/ If things go wrong a reboot from live media allows me to fix it. Until you're happy I'd really recommend you don't have any irreplaceable data in your /home. I've never lost anything while testing but YMMV.

Run fstrim either manually or on a cron job - you can get fancy and have it run on startup or shutdown - I just do it when I think about it every few days. You MAY need to connect your drive to a running Windows machine to get the firmware up to date - check first if you cannot - I have no idea if that will work with a VM - I wouldn't risk it but that's me.

You'll have come across lots of stuff about running /tmp or /var/xxxx in tmpfs on an SSD - I urge caution and a bit of trial and error.
Some progs expect to find existing folders and files in /var and get all funny when they're not there. ClamAV is a good example.
Check to make sure any references you follow are Debian specific - Ubuntu is not the same. Use it for suggestions rather than hard and fast rules.

Mounting /tmp in tmpfs via fstab does work on 'buntus - I ran into some problems with Q4OS doing that but it may well have been other factors. You'll need to become good friends with /var/log and its contents. Learn how to look at dmesg and .xsession errors as they are also useful when things go wrong

#3 2016-09-21 19:16

ichbin1199

Re: Which SSD to choose? Any issues? Does TRIM support work in Q4OS?

q4os_user wrote:

Would Samsung EVO 850 be OK? Some people had problems with Samsung SSDs and Linux TRIM support. I'm kind of worried because Q4OS 1.6 seems to be using a pretty old kernel, so I'm not sure if these patches are there.

I'm also considering Kingston, GOODRAM, and SanDisk SSDs...

And how do I actually activate TRIM (it is always recommended to enable it) in Q4OS? Or is it turned on by default?

Hi,

in order to activate the trim function, you have to add discard on the etc/fstab partition option. You can also add noatime to reduce some writing on the disk. You should also not put a swap partition on the ssd.

I don't think that the default q4os kernel is too old for ssd's. Anyway, you can install a 4.x kernel by typing the qinst-kernel-bpo command in a terminal.

Samsung Q1 Ultra Premium umpc, (1.33ghz Intel core solo, 2gb ram)/Q4OS Scorpion/Trinity+Compaq  CQ2301 (1.6ghzx2 Intel Atom 230, 1gb ram, used as a server)/Q4OS Orion/Trinity+Packard bell D2317 (2.2ghzx2 Intel Pentium, 2gb ram)/Q4OS Scorpion/Trinity

Board footer