You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-09 21:57

CaptNoize
Website

Startup problem

When I start my computer,which has been running great with Q4OS for a year and a half now, it only makes it to the PCI device listing,lists the devices, then at the bottom it says:
error:symbol  'gruf_strndup' not found
Grub rescue> _
And it stops there,with the underscore blinking. It won't boot any further. What command should I enter..? Is this due to an update...?

#2 2017-10-09 23:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Startup problem

It looks more like a hardware fail, a shot of the screen would be helpful. Are you able to get a grub boot menu taping 'esc' key during computer startup ?

#3 2017-10-10 00:27

CaptNoize
Website

All I get now at restart while tapping the "ESC" key is:
error:symbol 'grub_strrchrΔgrub_script_create_cmd for' not found
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>
Do you think it could be the hard drive...?

#4 2017-10-10 18:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

CaptNoize wrote:

All I get now at restart while tapping the "ESC" key is:
error:symbol 'grub_strrchrΔgrub_script_create_cmd for' not found
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>
Do you think it could be the hard drive...?

Yes, it could be a hard drive fail, or your bootloader has been broken for some reason. We would recommend you to boot from the live cd, do 'chroot' and try to fix 'grub' bootloader, please see detailed instructions how to do it http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-re … tu-live-cd

You should also check the hard drive using 'badblocks' utility from the live cd.
$ badblocks /dev/sda
'sda' is the hard drive.

#5 2017-10-10 20:12

CaptNoize
Website

So,...I wanted you to know what i found out. I did as you suggested,I used the Live CD with version 1.4.6 on it...I know...I shoulda used a new version,but i don't spend alot of time downloading distros. Anyway,..I just loaded the disc,selected Q4OS classic,(with options) then let it run thru the config.When it got to the part where you enter a user name,...I hit "ESC"....then went back to the utilities,and selected "abort installation". Ejected the disc,and restarted. Everything is working fine now. Grub bootloader must have been broken. I checked $badblocks/dev/sda ...checked ok....Thanks Q4OS Team..! I think I'm ok, now. I will let you know if something goes awry...!

Last edited by CaptNoize (2017-10-11 13:24)

Board footer