You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-20 14:54

vmv64k

I can't enable the NVIDIA driver

Hello! I really need help, I installed Q4OS 5.4 with Trinity and I can't get the Nvidia driver to work.
On my computer I have an AMD Ryzen 2700x, 16GB RAM and Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti video card.

I used Linux Mint 21.1 MATE until about a year or so ago and had no problems with the video driver which I installed from the system utility.
Now I did a system reinstall, Q4OS installed without any problems and the default nouveau video driver works ok, but when I wanted to install the proprietary nvidia driver from that window that pops up right after restarting the system, the installer freezes somewhere around 67% and if I restart nothing changes.

After that I gave [ # apt purge "*nvidia*" ] and tried to install it from Synaptic Package Manager, from there it installs without problems but after restart it only shows me the 1024x768 resolution, the driver is not loaded.
I did the same procedure with the terminal installation:

# apt purge "*nvidia*"
# apt install nvidia-headers-amd64
# apt install nvidia-detect
# apt install nvidia-driver

at the last command I tried several drivers in turn but with the same result, the driver does not activate after restart.

I don't know what to do, I've been trying for 2 days now and I can't fix it. sad

#2 2024-03-20 21:22

hchiper

Re: I can't enable the NVIDIA driver

There are several threads on this forum about Nvidia drivers. You can use the Search tool with "Nvidia" as single keyword to search for, check Q4OS Support and choose Search in Topic subject only.

Last edited by hchiper (2024-03-20 21:23)

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#3 2024-03-20 21:44

vmv64k

Hello again! In the meantime I managed to activate the proprietary Nvidia driver.

Since the last post I tried again a few ways to activate the Nvidia proprietary driver to no avail, but after looking more closely in Xorg.0.log I saw a few uefi related messages and remembered that I set the UEFI boot mode in the bios a while back when I tested Windows 11, I completely forgot about this setting, I've been running WIndows 11 on my computer for quite some time.

Now that I got rid of this "Spyware OS" I set the bios to Legacy Only mode, reinstalled Q4OS again and when I got to install the driver from that installer that pops up after the restart, I had the same problem, the install froze at 67% I don't remember now exactly the last info displayed but it was about cleaning the cache or something like that.
But I managed to install it from the terminal by following the steps in the description above and selecting the nvidia-drivers.

#4 2024-03-20 21:57

vmv64k

hchiper wrote:

There are several threads on this forum about Nvidia drivers. You can use the Search tool with "Nvidia" as single keyword to search for, check Q4OS Support and choose Search in Topic subject only.

Now that you mention it I see now that there is an option. big_smile
I took it page by page but in what I found reported about nvidia drivers it didn't match with what I had.
But I managed to solve the problem

Last edited by vmv64k (2024-03-20 22:00)

#5 2024-03-20 23:08

Germ

Glad you got it sorted.  cool

Calm down, it's only ones and zeroes

Board footer