You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-21 09:13

NoMoreWindows

In praise of Q4OS.

From the perspective of the common lazy ass computer user that just wants things to work, Q4OS is the first Linux that allows me to switch from Windows to Linux.

I have no idea what exactly Q4OS adds to standard Debian, but the user experience is completely different. Where Debian is a pain to get running, Q4OS guides you in an intuitive way.

It makes it all common sense, easy to do, delivers what people need. A lot of good choices have been made behind the scenes, serving the people that don’t want to look things up to solve problems they shouldn’t have.

I’ve tried Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Poppy and recently Wubuntu but for some reason I always concluded they were too much of a hassle to leave Windows behind.

With Q4OS I replaced my wife’s Windows PC. She’s completely ignorant about IT and does not want to make any effort to make a computer work. That she now uses Linux for a few weeks without complaints is the ultimate praise Q4OS can obtain.

PS: I've started a small monthly donation, it's worth it.
PS: Of course I acknowledge all the great work that's been put into Linux by numerous parties, Q4OS just adds that finishing touch that makes a world of difference.

#2 2024-01-21 20:31

seb3773

Re: In praise of Q4OS.

100% agree with you.
It's clearly the first Linux distribution who decided me to switch from windows to linux for all my computers. Don't know why it's so much underrated given the quality of the product, as it's clearly on the top of the offer now at my opinion. I tried a LOT of distributions because I'm curious, but there was always something that was a no-no for me. Yeah, there's a lot of distributions with bells and whistles, which I really dislike, too much apps pre installed, too much things decided for you...  On the other hand, there are a lot of "light" distributions, but in this case there was always too much work for me to have a decent desktop ready for work.
Q4OS has the right balance.It just works, with all the tools needed, it's not bloated, it's stable and it is easily customizable. It's perfect for old computers, but perfect too for modern computers I think smile

Last edited by seb3773 (2024-01-21 20:33)

My Q4OS scripts: win10 theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#3 2024-01-21 21:06

Rademes

NoMoreWindows wrote:

From the perspective of the common lazy ass computer user that just wants things to work, Q4OS is the first Linux that allows me to switch from Windows to Linux.

Are you talking about KDE version of Q4OS or Trinity version? Because Trinity version needs a lot of setting to look properly and work properly for me.

seb3773 wrote:

Q4OS has the right balance.It just works, with all the tools needed, it's not bloated, it's stable and it is easily customizable. It's perfect for old computers, but perfect too for modern computers I think

Totally agree. Q4OS has the "golden middle". It has everything, the normal user needs, and it is easy enough to install and configure, and not overfilled with software. But, still Q4OS is more suitable for old computers. For modern computers in my opinion Linux Mint is currently the best Linux.

Last edited by Rademes (2024-01-21 21:07)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#4 2024-01-22 07:19

NoMoreWindows

@Rademes

I use Q4OS KDE for my daily drivers, but tried and tested Q4OS Trinity on a few computers. I didn't experience any difficulties but didn't push it to provide all functionalities I use on my daily drivers.

I'd like to get Q4OS Trinity working on a really old, low spec computer. The one I have lying around crashes with Q4OS but I suspect it has some hardware issues. But that is just a fun side project.

#5 2024-01-26 03:23

crosscourt
Website

Q4OS is by far the easiest way to install Debian without a hassle and gain some additional user features. KDE overall is much more user friendly for most users but those with older hardware will benefit trying Trinity.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#6 2024-01-26 13:03

Senas Komunistas

crosscourt wrote:

Q4OS is by far the easiest way to install Debian without a hassle

Debian is not difficult to install.

#7 2024-01-27 20:51

crosscourt
Website

For most Debian isnt difficult to install but for crossover users and beginners, Q4OS offers a really easy, fast and pain free install. It also adds some nice user features. Q4OS also is a realy nice and compact community for asking questions if youre having any issues. If youre using Trinity its far easier to install Q4OS rather than having to add it to Debian, which for new users would be a hassle.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#8 2024-01-28 15:07

danielson

Might be wrong, but Q4OS is probably the last distro to offer WUBI style installer.

Something that makes it a no-brainer to introduce Linux to a Windows user.

DELL Optiplex 7060 - 8G RAM.

#9 2024-02-04 18:31

goldbergeliah

Last week I wanted to turn my dual boot HP Laptop into full hard disk Linux. I was a bit worried as older versions of Q4OS never recognized HP  wi-fi cards off the shelf and I had to spend days to put wi-fi back to track. To my surprise, as soon as I installed Trinity Aquarius the network manager started blinking with all flashy network SSID names! Bravo Q4OS team! I am very happy and satisfied.

#10 2024-02-26 16:55

dlrider

I had thought I tried Q4OS a while back (probably lower on the list due to distrowatch.com rating) but in any case this new version is amazing.  I was expecting lackluster performance on this 2010 vintage laptop, but have been very pleased.  Aesthetics are great out-of-the-box and all my hardware was found working, boots fast to logon screen.  No messing around with junk loaded that I won't likely use especially for that session.  Just up and running and I'm working.  I came to Q4OS due to an expired OS of another lineage; Q4OS runs better than the other system as it came.  Like another poster, I tried other systems (*buntus, Puppy, Fedoras, others, Debians...) but 'm finding that I favor lighter Debian systems and positively much less toward Windows although the 10/11 are better than the others before.  Can't run Windows on old hardware.  Run it until it can't, I say.  FlatPak is nice to have, considering a few systems I've tried that couldn't run some apps that I wanted; for me, even though not major apps it was a deep consideration.

I'm not sure why one would think that this wouldn't be as suited for a modern computer in relation to Mint. I'd like to hear why that is a concern.  I have Mint on another 2010 same model and can see that it boots slower (to logon) but is fine after that.  Not sure what Mint can do that Q4OS can't but maybe I'll find out sometime.

#11 2024-02-27 11:00

seb3773

dlrider wrote:

I'm not sure why one would think that this wouldn't be as suited for a modern computer in relation to Mint. I'd like to hear why that is a concern.  I have Mint on another 2010 same model and can see that it boots slower (to logon) but is fine after that.  Not sure what Mint can do that Q4OS can't but maybe I'll find out sometime.

Well, I don't know as didn't try Mint on my i7, but I can assure you Q4OS Trinity is working very well with this beast. (i7 8700K, 32Go RAM/2 x 2To nvme + 3To sata ssd/ nvidia 2060). Sure it can run plasma without any problem, but I don't need the fancy stuff in plasma, and I don't like to waste cpu cycles for things I don't need tongue
Plus, Trinity is very very stable, never encounter any crash or frozen system even with several virtualbox VM running and litteraly a ton of other apps left opened. (With the same usage level, windows was crashing / frozing sometimes, it never happens since I installed Q4os Trinity).

So, can't tell what's the difference with Mint, but I can assure you Trinity is very good on a "modern" computer too smile

My Q4OS scripts: win10 theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

#12 2024-03-08 04:54

epp

I have Q4OS installed on a SanDisk thumb drive, it's working great and unexpectedly, runs extremely fast from it. Impressive! smile

Board footer