You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-26 05:29

Michael_

Problem with FL Studio in Wine

I'm running the latest version of Q4OS plasma and installed wine using this guide:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian (Stable Branch)

I installed FL Studio 11.1 (Old Version) and it runs but the Piano Roll does not remember the Zoom
and i cannot resize (change the width) of the Mixer.
That means i can if i change it very fast but if i try it normally it does not work.

Looks like this is not a known bug:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. … 2&sAllBugs

Almost seems like it's Q4OS/KDE Plasma related.

Anything that i can try?

#2 2024-01-27 06:29

Michael_

Re: Problem with FL Studio in Wine

I'm starting to get desperate

#3 2024-01-27 07:52

bin

This is a very niche question.

'Not a known bug' - I would not rely on that given the age of the entries (10 years) and the version of wine (1.7) in use at the time.

I have software that used to work fine on wine up to 2.1 and after that it was a nightmare.

Personally I always just use the standard repo version of wine - the winehq stuff can be a little odd at times.

It does seem from the notes that the DE is  important - again this is something I have come across - the one windows app I use a huge amount will only work full screen if I use XFCE/xfwm4 window manager. It won't work at all in Q4OS TDE any more (well it does until you try to move the window and then it just crashes. I guess is down to the work Trinity have done on the TDE window manager in the latest release. Just an example of how these things change and not always for the better.

The only useful suggestion in the winehq db site is to switch of Compositing - which I think is under Desktop Effects somewhere. How that would make a difference I don't know.

Next option would be to use the desktop profiler and add XFCE to your system and see if you get better behaviour. If you do then you know what to do - if not then the issue may be more fundamental.

The other possibility which I would recommend would be to download Codeweavers Crossover Office. You can use it as a trial version for 30 days. FL Studio 20 runs very well https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili … -studio-20.

Now, one of the useful bits from doing this is that when Crossover builds the wine bottle (wine prefix) it also shows you the additional libraries it installs - which are also available via winetricks which has no cost.

So you could try FL11 under Crossover for free (30 days) if it works then you could use the information gained about which additional libraries are needed to see if you can get working in normal wine + winetricks. OR you could pay for the commercial version.

During the course of this you will also get a better feel for whether it is Plasma that is causing the problem or something else.

#4 2024-01-29 22:16

Michael_

bin wrote:

This is a very niche question.

'Not a known bug' - I would not rely on that given the age of the entries (10 years) and the version of wine (1.7) in use at the time.

I have software that used to work fine on wine up to 2.1 and after that it was a nightmare.

Personally I always just use the standard repo version of wine - the winehq stuff can be a little odd at times.

It does seem from the notes that the DE is  important - again this is something I have come across - the one windows app I use a huge amount will only work full screen if I use XFCE/xfwm4 window manager. It won't work at all in Q4OS TDE any more (well it does until you try to move the window and then it just crashes. I guess is down to the work Trinity have done on the TDE window manager in the latest release. Just an example of how these things change and not always for the better.

The only useful suggestion in the winehq db site is to switch of Compositing - which I think is under Desktop Effects somewhere. How that would make a difference I don't know.

Next option would be to use the desktop profiler and add XFCE to your system and see if you get better behaviour. If you do then you know what to do - if not then the issue may be more fundamental.

The other possibility which I would recommend would be to download Codeweavers Crossover Office. You can use it as a trial version for 30 days. FL Studio 20 runs very well https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili … -studio-20.

Now, one of the useful bits from doing this is that when Crossover builds the wine bottle (wine prefix) it also shows you the additional libraries it installs - which are also available via winetricks which has no cost.

So you could try FL11 under Crossover for free (30 days) if it works then you could use the information gained about which additional libraries are needed to see if you can get working in normal wine + winetricks. OR you could pay for the commercial version.

During the course of this you will also get a better feel for whether it is Plasma that is causing the problem or something else.

I decided to try all this in a virtual box vm.
I tried all these suggestions but unfortunately nothing solved the problem.

First i switched off compositing.

Then i went ahead and installed xfce using the desktop profiler.
This resulted in a bunch of issues so i decided to install debian xfce instead.
Same problem using debian xfce.

Then i went ahead and tried it using crossover on debian xfce. Same problem.
Turning on DXVK inside crossover also does not help.

At this point is sure to say that Q4OS or KDE Plasma is not the Problem.
Also the specific wine version i'm using also isn't the problem.

Any further ideas? At this point i dont know what else to try.

Board footer