You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-08 19:36

Bytebuddy

Q4OS installation on SSD

I tried to install Q4OS on an laptop using 500GB SSD and WIN11. Q4OS was not able to find the SSD and Q4 Support sent me the following:

"You may need to setup your SSD disk as "non-Raid" in BIOS to be detectable by Linux."

and I did so. In the result WIN was not bootable anymore. OK - setting back the BIOS had no effect - still no boot at all.

The online Support-Test of DELL Latitude tells me that SSD has error code 151, is defect and should be replaced. I do not believe on that, but I do not know what to do. I do not believe that a wrong klick in BIOS should kill the SSD......

So I hope that somebody knows a trick to bring the SSD back to life!

Thanks for help

Rudolf

#2 2023-11-09 10:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Q4OS installation on SSD

Unfortunately, we have no idea what the error code 151 means, maybe your disk has been failing before. We had an experience with Win10 Dell notebook what needed to set the primary SSD as non-raid to be detectable by Linux. After switching to non-raid in BIOS, Windows 10 were still able to boot and Linux started to detect the disk.

Maybe someone would give some clue ?

Last edited by q4osteam (2023-11-09 11:04)

#3 2023-11-09 11:20

Bytebuddy

Thanks for your reply!

Exactly what you described in your post have I done! But ATTENTION ! this does not work under WIN 11!

After switching to non-raid in BIOS, Windows 11 were NOT able to boot and Linux did not start to detect the disk.

Switching to non-raid in BIOS destroys the MBR!! and switching back does not repair it!

You should try it for youself to clarify that this not only fact on my computer.

In the meantime I found a "Backdoor" to start WIN 11: Starting via F12 (Bootmanager) brings up WIN!

So in my opinion MBR is killed and I have to find a secure way to restore it?

Thanks for your help in this

Rudolf

#4 2023-11-11 13:59

nightflier

Since you can get Windows to start, try the startup repair as described here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- … windows-10

Scroll down to the third option

Board footer