You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-01 17:23

Nathan

Replace su Root User

I installed Q4OS via Windows on an old Lenovo ThinkPad.  Love it!  Thanks to the developers and this community for a great distro!

One issue was that it didn't accept the username I entered for the root user when installing.  I created a new user with administrative rights and deleted the original one.  I also created a guest user.  Everything seems fine except that I am unable to use "su" in Konsole.  However, "sudo" seems to work fine. 

Is there a fix for this?  Do I even need to fix it?

Ancient words speak today.

#2 2022-04-01 17:37

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Replace su Root User

No need for fix, direct root login and password is disabled intentionally. You only need to run "sudo su" to get root konsole. Deleting the first user isn't good idea, as it has all the needed administrative rights. You can add any other rights to the first user anytime.

#3 2022-04-01 18:33

Nathan

Re: Replace su Root User

Ok, thanks.  The reason I deleted the first user (created by default during install process) is because I was not able to edit the weird name that it created for that user and I wanted to clean up the interface that my wife will see.  She'll be using this laptop and I want to keep it simple and straight forward for her.

For my future reference, is there a way to change the default (root) user name?  It didn't stick when I tried to do so using the "Users" tool.

Last edited by Nathan (2022-04-04 21:19)

Ancient words speak today.

Board footer