You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-18 21:32

capecod

Safe Removal Of Flash Drive From Linux Q4OS

How do I safely remove a flash drive from Linux Q4OS quickly and easily like I do on Win 10?

If I just pull the flash drive out and put it into a Win 10 machine, I get an error message saying it needs to be fixed / repaired.

I would very much appreciate some direction here.

I recently installed Q4OS on an old laptop (with the help of a smart techie friend) and I absolutely love it.  However, I remain a novice relative to Q4OS.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 2021-06-19 00:38

Tolkem

Re: Safe Removal Of Flash Drive From Linux Q4OS

Q4OS with KDE or TDE? If KDE, in dolphin select the USB stick from the devices' column, right-click on it and select remove safely or some similar wording(my system's in Spanish) If TDE, there should a similar option, sorry, but I use KDE.

#3 2021-06-19 14:48

Midas

Even after safely removing a pendrive from Linux, Windows will insist it needs to be checked/repaired and then proceed to tell you no errors were found...

To the best of my knowledge, this has to do with the characteristics of the USB drive itself, what format it has and so on -- in my experience, some drives perform alright even if you yank them out, others always make Windows spit in disgust. As they say, YMMV.

#4 2021-06-19 20:50

aluma

Midas wrote:

Even after safely removing a pendrive from Linux, Windows will insist it needs to be checked/repaired and then proceed to tell you no errors were found...

To the best of my knowledge, this has to do with the characteristics of the USB drive itself, what format it has and so on -- in my experience, some drives perform alright even if you yank them out, others always make Windows spit in disgust. As they say, YMMV.

You are right, in my experience, I will grow enough to pull out and stick the flash drive again, so that Windows it opened it. Linux has nothing to do with this. The "Safety Removed" command in any OS is spinning another feature. When recording on a flash drive, the data first will be stored in the RAM and on this command is forcibly recorded onto the media.

#5 2021-06-20 20:45

4gAV2

udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb1

Board footer