You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-08 05:20

HAL_2000

ISO File Manager with Drag & Drop capability

Hello Friends,

I am fairly new to Linux and  working with older machines (generally 32-bit Pentium 4's) and thus Q4OS is ideal in that it is lightweight, speedy and easily themed to resemble Win XP, via the XPQ4 add-on.  True to form, it breathes new life in old, but mechanically sound hardware.

That done, I am looking for a file manager as close as possible in looks and function to the old Windows FileManager, as revived here:

MDGx File Manager FMNT32 - the File Manager App from Win2000, revived for 32/64 bit systems
http://www.mdgx.com/fmnt32/  [the 2015 respin is the best of several versions].

I am now using Xfce as a Desktop environment (have also been using Trinity) and PCmanFM, but find it to be clunky.

Based on Xfce DE, and for the most part, for 32-bit systems, can you direct me to a file manager most closely matching the looks, and with the drag-and-drop function of FMNT32?   

Another difficulty I was having with PCmanFM is that sometimes drag and drop works and sometimes it does not.  I suspect that is a function of logging in as Super User or not.  Learning how to easily log in to PCmanFM as superuser might help its user-friendliness.

Nautilus?  Thunar? Konqueror? Dolphin? Krusader? Or, other???

Last edited by HAL_2000 (2021-01-14 17:27)

[Dave] Open the pod bay doors, HAL....  [HAL] I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. [BSOD]

#2 2021-01-08 06:51

bin

Re: ISO File Manager with Drag & Drop capability

If you're talking about 32bit XFCE then stick with Thunar.

PCManfm does have a couple of benefits but it is a nervous beast. I have only had a couple of issues but it has been known to mess around files in big drag and drop jobs. Not sure about 32bit support going forward either.

Thunar has the most easily configured addon/custom action facility to provide right click tools and it integrates with the rest of the DE.

Look and feel can be tweaked a bit, you can easily add Windows icons and themes to XFCE

#3 2021-01-08 15:26

crosscourt
Website

Ill second bins comments as Thunar is by far a better choice given the many issues with pcmanfm.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2021-01-08 23:34

HAL_2000

Thanks fellas!

I had been using Trinity, which looks nice (subjectively speaking, of course), but as you say, Xfce seems very easily configurable. 

Still doing that right now, but finding the top menus (Thunar, LibreOffice, MousePad) to be jammed together and without a menu structure.

Getting there.

[Dave] Open the pod bay doors, HAL....  [HAL] I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. [BSOD]

#5 2021-01-14 14:22

Tolkem

I am looking for a file manager

I'd suggest dolphin. It has drag & drop capabilities out of the box, and it's quite powerful yet very easy to use. I think it is already available in trinity.

#6 2021-01-19 07:51

HAL_2000

Hello Tolkem!

Just when I thought I'd finally settled on THUNAR, then user @Danielson posted a hair-raising link about an exploit which targets a good number of DE's and File Managers:

Pop a Reverse Shell with a Video File by Exploiting Popular Linux File Managers

"Which Operating Systems Are Affected?

There are several noteworthy desktop environments (DE) that are affected by this issue. They include: GNOME, Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, XFCE4, and LXDE. While this is far from a comprehensive list of available DEs, these are among the most popular."

"Each DE uses a different file manager by default. For example, GNOME uses the Nautilus file manager, and KDE uses the Dolphin file manager. Neither of these file managers is vulnerable to this attack. But! Keep in mind — it's possible to install and use multiple file managers in a single operating system, much like having two different web browsers installed simultaneously. So a GNOME target with Nautilus installed may be using a different, vulnerable file manager."

https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-t … s-0196078/

So, according to this article, I may have to revisit DOLPHIN and NAUTILUS, not for how they look or act, but because they seem more resistant to a dastardly hacker exploit.

As always, thanks to all for your tutelage.

#7 2021-01-19 13:38

Tolkem

So, according to this article, I may have to revisit DOLPHIN and NAUTILUS, not for how they look or act, but because they seem more resistant to a dastardly hacker exploit.

Hi HAL,
Well, according to that article Debian 10/Buster is not affected and Q4OS is based on that one. Also, this article is a bit outdated, November 2019. I think you're OK, unless you start using an old/outdated distro like the ones mentioned in the article.  smile

#8 2021-01-26 18:46

HAL_2000

Thanks!

#9 2021-02-02 22:52

cpcnw
Website

Sorry for posting on two threads my pref - close enough to Windows file manager - you might like this?

http://roland65.free.fr

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

Board footer