You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-16 19:41

Rademes

Removable disks in Konqueror

Problem: After working with GParted, removable disks does not show in system:/media.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Plug in removable USB HDD.
2. Open system:/media, the attached HDD will be shown there.
3. Open GParted, and perform a task with attached USB HDD, for example Check partition for errors.
4. After completion close GParted and open system:/media.
5. The attached USB HDD will not be shown there anymore.
As result, it can not be mounted again without being re-plugged.

Note: You still can mount it in Krusader, but even after mounting in Krusader, it still will not be shown in system:/media.

Update:
All attachments are here: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 536#p19536
I have formatted one of my USB Flash drives to NTFS (Attachment 1).
And yes, this bug still happens with NTFS file system.
Also, I have noticed, that you do not even need to make something in GParted to trigger this bug.
Everything you need to do is:
1. Plug in USB Flash drive or USB HDD, the attached drive will be shown in system:/media, and in the taskbar. (Attachment 2)
2. Open GParted. Just open, do not do anything in GParted.
3. As soon as you open GParted, The attached drive icon disappears in system:/media and in taskbar! (Attachment 3)

Update 2:
This bug happens with FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. (Attachment 2 in this post)

Last edited by Rademes (2021-01-22 18:33)

Attachments:
png MySystem.png, Size: 150.16 KiB, Downloads: 307
jpg FlashNTFSA3.jpg, Size: 185.15 KiB, Downloads: 304

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#2 2021-01-17 08:04

bin

Re: Removable disks in Konqueror

I often find that hitting f5 in system:/media helps - cannot guarantee in all cases!

#3 2021-01-18 21:29

Rademes

bin wrote:

I often find that hitting f5 in system:/media helps - cannot guarantee in all cases!

This does not help.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#4 2021-01-19 13:47

Tolkem

Rademes wrote:

Problem: After working with GParted, removable disks does not show in system:/media.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Plug in removable USB HDD.
2. Open system:/media, the attached HDD will be shown there.
3. Open GParted, and perform a task with attached USB HDD, for example Check partition for errors.
4. After completion close GParted and open system:/media.
5. The attached USB HDD will not be shown there anymore.
As result, it can not be mounted again without being re-plugged.

Note: You still can mount it in Krusader, but even after mounting in Krusader, it still will not be shown in system:/media.

You mean in Krusader? Konqueror? Dolphin? What's the HDD's file system format? NTFS? EXT4? FAT32? VFAT? What's that mount point? /system/media? It should be /media/your_username/some_removable_device AFAIK. Is that a custom mount point? What's "system" meaning here? Is your user? Root? How are you mounting the HDD? Terminal? File manager?

#5 2021-01-19 18:56

Rademes

I have Trinity desktop environment.
I mean Konqueror.
Removable HDD file system format is EXT4.
/system:/media is not a mount point. It is a some kind of address or link to place, where all attached disks are listed. I do not clearly understand, maybe Q4OSTeam explains better. You can access it if you click My Computer on Desktop, and then Storage Devices. See attachments.
I do not use custom mount points. Mount points are always /media/username/HDD_Name
"System" is not my user.
I mount HDD using Konqueror. I do not use Dolphin at all.

Last edited by Rademes (2021-01-19 19:20)

Attachments:
png system_media.png, Size: 186.22 KiB, Downloads: 336
png system_media1.png, Size: 211.37 KiB, Downloads: 312
jpg system_media2.jpg, Size: 94.05 KiB, Downloads: 329

#6 2021-01-20 14:47

Tolkem

EXT4 is not exactly a "friendly removable file system" to use. Is the HDD the one with 107GB which reads as Fixed Disk in screenshot system_media.png? Are you sure that it is a removable disk?  Cause it looks to me that it is the main disk; the one Q4OS is installed in.

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-01-20 14:53)

#7 2021-01-20 14:54

Rademes

Tolkem wrote:

Is the HDD the one with 107GB which reads as Fixed Disk in screenshot system_media.png? Are you sure that it is a removable disk?  Cause it looks to me that it is the main disk; the one Q4OS is installed.

This disk is fixed disk. But system:/media also lists removable disks, like TRANSCEND1GB in attachment.
I do not think, that the problem is caused by EXT4 filesystem.
I am sure, that this is a Konqueror bug.
I use EXT4 because it is the best filesystem for hard disks.

Last edited by Rademes (2021-01-20 14:58)

Attachments:
png system_media3.png, Size: 163.43 KiB, Downloads: 295

#8 2021-01-20 15:04

Tolkem

This disk is fixed disk. But system:/media also lists removable disks, like TRANSCEND1GB in attachment.
I do not think, that the problem is caused by EXT4 filesystem.
I am sure, that this is a Konqueror bug

How can you be sure? Launch Konqueror from terminal, reproduce the steps for the issue, once it happens look for any errors in Konsole, take a screenshot or copy/paste the contents here. I don't use TDE nor Konqueror but Plasma and dolphin, that being said, Konqueror's installed and in the few times I've used it have never had any issues.

#9 2021-01-20 22:10

Rademes

I have posted exact steps how to reproduce this bug in first post. Please install Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, live - 64bit / x64 and follow my steps to reproduce this bug. I can make a video, if you do not believe me.

@q4osteam, please, respond to my bug report.

Last edited by Rademes (2021-01-20 22:19)

#10 2021-01-20 23:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Yes, we have registered your report. We will try to reproduce and investigate it as soon as possible.

#11 2021-01-21 02:09

Tolkem

Rademes wrote:

I have posted exact steps how to reproduce this bug in first post. Please install Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, live - 64bit / x64 and follow my steps to reproduce this bug. I can make a video, if you do not believe me.

@q4osteam, please, respond to my bug report.

I know you posted the steps, that's why I'm telling you to run konqueror from konsole, reproduce, check whatever errors show up in there and copy/paste them here; it'll be more easy for you and us to find a solution. I believe you, I'm just saying that's another option to make sure that it is a konqueror issue. I installed Q4OS TDE in a VM and I didn't have this issue, thought it is Q4OS 3.12, and I haven't updated/upgraded it. Also, if you have or can have access to a different removable device with a different file system, i.e. NTFS, that might help to rule out the possibility of ext4 giving problems. Again, all I'm saying is: explore every possibility that might help you and us to understand why this is happening nothing more nothing less.

Cheers! smile

#12 2021-01-21 10:42

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Rademes
Your report is absolutely helpful as it provides the detailed steps to reproduce and even valuable screenshots., thanks for that and keep that way. If you would have a time to proceed what @Tolkem suggests, it would be most helpful for comparison too. At the first sight the bug seems not to be Q4OS, but Trinity desktop specific. In any way we will investigate that as soon as possible.

#13 2021-01-21 16:37

Rademes

Thank you Q4OSTeam. Unfortunately, I can not test this using NTFS disk, because I have reformatted all my removable Hard disks from NTFS to EXT4 back in 2018, because I decided not to use Windows anymore. Maybe, when I buy new USB HDD, I will test it.

Last edited by Rademes (2021-01-21 16:37)

#14 2021-01-21 17:14

Tolkem

Rademes wrote:

Thank you Q4OSTeam. Unfortunately, I can not test this using NTFS disk, because I have reformatted all my removable Hard disks from NTFS to EXT4 back in 2018, because I decided not to use Windows anymore. Maybe, when I buy new USB HDD, I will test it.

You can try with a USB  stick/flash drive/ pen drive, it doesn't matter the size, a 4GB one will do,  you just need to format it to nfts.

#15 2021-01-22 18:19

Rademes

OK, I have formatted one of my USB Flash drives to NTFS (Attachment 1).
Also, I have noticed, that you do not even need to make something in GParted to trigger this bug.
1. Plug in USB Flash drive or USB HDD, the attached drive will be shown in system:/media, and in the taskbar. (Attachment 2)
3. As soon as you open GParted, The attached drive icon disappears in system:/media and in taskbar! (Attachment 3)
I will correct my first post with new steps to reproduce.

Update 2:
This bug happens with FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. (Attachment 2 in first post)

Last edited by Rademes (2021-01-22 18:34)

Attachments:
jpg FlashNTFSA2.jpg, Size: 170.17 KiB, Downloads: 304
jpg FlashNTFSA1.jpg, Size: 66.17 KiB, Downloads: 292
jpg FlashNTFS.jpg, Size: 107.96 KiB, Downloads: 297

#16 2021-01-23 17:52

Tolkem

Rademes wrote:

OK, I have formatted one of my USB Flash drives to NTFS (Attachment 1).
I will correct my first post with new steps to reproduce.

Update 2:
This bug happens with FAT32 formatted USB flash drive. (Attachment 2 in first post)

Does this happen in Konqueror only? Have you checked in Krusader? Again, what I'm suggesting is to check every possibility that can help in solving your issue, remember using Linux demands a bit of user commitment. I think, launching both apps; konqueror and gparted from konsole and checking for any error messages might be useful to narrow down the root of the issue.

#17 2021-01-23 20:36

Rademes

Tolkem wrote:

Have you checked in Krusader?

In Krusader I was able to mount and unmount USB drive after opening GParted. The drive icon does not disappears in Krusader, but still disappears in system:/media and taskbar. (Attachment 1).
Opening Konqueror and GParted from Konsole did not show any errors, but USB drive icons still disappear after opening GParted.

Tolkem wrote:

using Linux demands a bit of user commitment.

A bit I already did! smile

256 views already! This becomes a hot topic!

Last edited by Rademes (2021-01-23 20:49)

Attachments:
jpg FlashNTFSA4.jpg, Size: 170.25 KiB, Downloads: 297

#18 2021-01-24 21:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We can confirm the bug for Q4OS Centaurus, but not for Q4OS Gemini with TDE R14.0.10. The bug arises for larger USB disks only, not for smaller flash drives. We will continue to investigate it.

Board footer