You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-29 12:43

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Q4OS Centaurus - brand new development branch

We introduce the initial development build of the new major Q4OS version 3, codenamed 'Centaurus', please see release notes https://www.q4os.org/blog.html

#2 2018-01-29 14:13

Dai_trying

Re: Q4OS Centaurus - brand new development branch

Added to my "play" list, Thanks guys smile

#3 2018-01-31 20:39

OldCodger

I've just done a test install in a virtual machine and encountered a few problems.

Should I give details through this thread or is there another method to report problems
with a development branch ?
Apologies for asking but this is the first time I've tested a development branch and I'm
unsure of the proper procedure.

Many thanks.

#4 2018-01-31 20:41

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@OldCodger
Yes, you can put your observations here, into this thread.

#5 2018-01-31 21:01

OldCodger

In no particular order,

When booted into the LiveCD the install shortcut is positioned near the bottom of the screen.
When running in a virtual machine with the screen scaled, the shortcut can easily disappear from the viewable area.
A new user - ie new to Linux installs and perhaps VM's might wonder how to install the system at all.
Perhaps move the install shortcut to the top of the desktop area ?

Running from the LiveCD you can navigate through the Accessories -> Programs and find GParted but
when you try and run it nothing happens. Is it perhaps not included on the LiveCD ? It was on the 2.4 version I've got.
Would be nice to have it back.

Actual install went cleanly. At the end I took the option not to immediately reboot.  After poking about a bit more
I rebooted. Shutdown appeared to hang on the "Stopping LVM2 Meta daemon" message. After a while I just powered off the VM. 

Booted into newly installed system OK.
Was prompted to install Guest Additions (as it's in a VM) but this failed - sorry didn't take full details of error message.
However, I *WAS* able to install the Guest Additions from the Q4OS Software Centre.

Installed other programs from the Q4OS Software Centre but both Firefox and GParted failed with an error message
saying that the maximum release they could be installed with was 2.9999

This is the first time I've seen the new Debonaire theme. I should say that I'm not a great fan of flat themes - sorry.
Most of the icons look OK but the Synaptic one is just a dull sand coloured square - perhaps that could be improved a bit.
Same with the icon for documents - just a dull grey, any chance of a bit more colour ?

I'll try and do some more testing tomorrow and report any further problems.
If there are any areas you are particularly interested in me testing, please ask and if I can I will try and test those specifically.

#6 2018-01-31 21:09

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks for the helpful and valuable feedback, you are welcome to keep posting here. We will check all of the issues reported and will take a focus on them.

#7 2018-02-01 00:58

Dai_trying

I had a few problems installing the (Q4OS) VirtualBox additions and I am now trying to clear the package cache as it says it is corrupted and have noticed both Stretch and Buster repositories are being pulled in, is this by design? should I disable all the Stretch repo's before trying to clear this error?

#8 2018-02-01 01:54

Dai_trying

I just re-installed and before running anything I removed all Scorpion and Stretch repositories from apt/sources and disabled auto upgrades (should really be disabled with buster) and then managed to install the additions correctly and have no package cache errors. Everything seems to be running ok now and will post if I find any other issues. smile

#9 2018-02-01 08:12

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

I had a few problems installing the (Q4OS) VirtualBox additions and I am now trying to clear the package cache as it says it is corrupted and have noticed both Stretch and Buster repositories are being pulled in, is this by design? should I disable all the Stretch repo's before trying to clear this error?

A few Trinity packages still depend on packages from Debian Stretch, however they are some minor ones, so you could safely remove Stretch repositories. In opposite, do not remove 'q4os-2-0-cn' Scorpion repositories, as they are required for most of the Q4OS specific packages and important updates to be performed properly. Thanks for the feedback.

#10 2018-02-01 08:53

zebedeeboss

OldCodger wrote:

In no particular order,

Installed other programs from the Q4OS Software Centre but both Firefox and GParted failed with an error message
saying that the maximum release they could be installed with was 2.9999

Installed well on my machine.  Nvidia drivers suffer the same problem as above as do additional codecs.    Nvidia drivers installed fine tho from Synaptic

Will continue testing - looking good so far.  I have very simple needs.  Browsing, OBS-studio and steam.

Will report back any further issues.

Regards Zeb...

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama   Linux User #565092   x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Gb - 43"  4k  3840x2160   x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6"  HD 1920x1080

#11 2018-02-01 09:55

jackdanielsesq

That is excellent news - have had nothing but fail with those pesky Nvidia drivers

Clearly, the devs have been listening

Regards

Jack

zebedeeboss wrote:

Nvidia drivers installed fine tho from Synaptic

Will continue testing - looking good so far.  I have very simple needs.  Browsing, OBS-studio and steam.

Will report back any further issues.

Regards Zeb...

Last edited by jackdanielsesq (2018-02-01 09:56)

#12 2018-02-01 10:05

jackdanielsesq

Amazing how mature this puppy is, and it is still 2 years away from 'best-by-date
Betcha bring that date forward by 12-18 months - great team work, guys & gals

Cant say I'm a big VM or VR fan even - like hardcore - prefer the real thing

Keep up the enterprising work, Chief Inspector Clouseau

Regards

Jack

Dai_trying wrote:

I just re-installed and before running anything I removed all Scorpion and Stretch repositories from apt/sources and disabled auto upgrades (should really be disabled with buster) and then managed to install the additions correctly and have no package cache errors. Everything seems to be running ok now and will post if I find any other issues. smile

#13 2018-02-01 10:25

OldCodger

Apologies in advance for long problem description which may, in fact, not be a Q4OS error at all.

Last thing I tried yesterday evening was to install my printer which is an old HP LaserJet 1020
USB attached device. It should be noted here that this printer requires an hp plugin file to
work as well as the driver.
I used the Print Manager option from the Main Menu and selected the "Add Printer".
It detected the printer and I selected the entry and it took me to a driver selection screen.
In the HP driver list there was not an entry for 1020, so was unable to select anything.

I added the printer manually using hp-setup - which installs both the driver and the plugin -
and have printed successfully.
It now shows correctly in the Printer Manager screens etc.

As point of reference, couple of months ago I installed a vanilla Debian VM and had to ensure
that the printer-driver-foo2zjs package was installed before I could add the printer, as it needs that driver.

So my question really is, should the Printer Manager application provided within Q4OS include an entry for
the HP 1020 in the driver list ?
If that application is not directly the responsibility of Q4OS then I guess not but clarification would be useful.

Many thanks.

#14 2018-02-04 08:11

jackdanielsesq

Oldcodger

Never understood why folks still use printers - love forests - been using pdf's for +20 yrs
No more Paris Fifteen invites for you, my son - I am sure the devs will figure it out in the
next 2 years - target maturity date - if its even relevant - why not simply d/l said drivers,
keep them all in your favorite container - stop driving devs nuts, more logical, methinks

Your path, as described, was pretty painless - enjoy Q4O/S

Regards

Jack

#15 2018-02-09 15:09

OldCodger

Thank you to the Q4OS team for updating the installers - I've now been able to install both Firefox and GParted.
I'm assuming the other installers (for codecs and Nvidia drivers) have also been updated.

I originally reported a problem with GParted on the LiveCD but the same thing happens now it's installed on a
full running system. It just does nothing when launched from the menu. However, I can run it from a command
prompt but it produces the following error message and carries on.
Unit -.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway

There is bug report for Ubuntu which seems to describe this error but it seems to related to Wayland, see here,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1744372

#16 2018-02-14 23:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

#17 2018-02-23 19:07

32-bitter

Will the final release of Centaurus include a 32-bit version?

#18 2018-02-23 20:26

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

32-bitter wrote:

Will the final release of Centaurus include a 32-bit version?

Yes, we would like to keep 32bit version as long as possible.

#19 2018-03-13 15:55

jackdanielsesq

Been incredibly busy with business of late, but decided I needed a break from reality - what better way
than to break a perfectly good production machine - have several contingencies in place in case it all
goes pear-shaped .. besides, what better way to test ones preparedness - now booting out of the top
quadrant of my 500GB HDD instead of the lower, that had a couple bad blocks - cleaned up the entire
HDD without any errors or bad blocks, bad clusters/nodes - now like new

Just installed 3.1 - bare metal - on my production machine - tried Oracle's VB - fail - might be a driver
issue - but never liked them particularly -  too much like MSFT, and way too close to USG/CIA

Quite a lengthy install compared to my 2.4 of 330MB - nary a glitch, hang, complaint or query - actually
thought I had installed another copy of 2.4 by mistake ... nope, its 3.1

Reboot, await the drama - nothing .. zero complaints ... still no USB LTE love - plugged-in my trusty RJ45
'spoof' plug, and USB LTE awoke - d/l synaptic - configured, reload and reboot - and still zero protestations

Played around setting it all up, decided to installed Skype from local container as it is not on the servers.
Still nothing breaks ... reboot ... everything is perfect ... spotted 80 security/other upgrades - aha - this will
break my machine ... d/l all, reboot, still no drama - even skype works as advertised with MSFT now telling
me its time to upgrade ... no thank you .. decided to d/l KDE5 - that will surely break everything into pieces.

Still nothing broken - everything works better - everything boots quicker, all the applications work smoother

AMAZING ....

As I said previously, Q4O/S + TDE + KDE5 is the most important, most significant piece of software to be
produced in the past 10 years .... Centaurus, just reinforced that statement - it is simply magnificent

My background has always been Unix - all RPM based RHL Mandrake Fedora, PCLOS et al, along with all
the root a/c's - everything broke of its own accord ... no human intervention required ... this is my first Debian
adventure - what a partnership along with Q4O/S ... its bullet proof - congratulations Q4O/S - kudos all round

Regards

Jack

Board footer