You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-06 11:01

admin-at-APT

How to Establish a Wireless Connection for Wi-Fi Networks

Hello World!

I do not have working-experience with Linux-based operating systems.

I want to connect a Hundy – notebook computer (model: M66SE) running Q4OS version 4.11.2-n1 – to the internet through wireless connections. The notebook can connect to the internet through an ethernet cable but cannot connect to any available networks wirelessly.

I recently installed the Network Manager applet. Through the listed available networks, whenever I try enabling a wireless connection, I get this error: "Failed to add/activate connection – (1) Not authorized to control networking".

I look forward to establishing internet connections through wireless connectivity with your help!

#2 2024-02-06 13:23

Senas Komunistas

Re: How to Establish a Wireless Connection for Wi-Fi Networks

Hello.

If you using network manager, check this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NetworkManager

namely the paragraph: usage, nmcli examples

#3 2024-02-06 13:56

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We would recommend to check https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4698 first and post back.

#4 2024-02-06 14:58

admin-at-APT

Just to clarify, one of the instructions says to "select wireless connection". Is that a button on the "edit connections'" window? Because the only buttons on the "edit connections'" window currenlty available to me are:

* "Add a new connection";
* "No polkit authorization to perform the action"; and
* "No polkit authorization to perform the action."

Or does the instruction mean that I should select the option listed below the "Wi-Fi" dropdown box?

I assumed it is selecting an option below the dropdown box. There being only 1 option, I selected it but there is no "edit connection" button.

#5 2024-02-06 15:05

admin-at-APT

Senas Komunistas wrote:

namely the paragraph: usage, nmcli examples

I have also tried connecting to the available option by the terminal using the command: "$ nmcli device wifi connect SSID_or_BSSID password password" as mentioned under the paragraph that you referenced.

But I received this error again: "Error: Failed to add/activate new connection: Not authorized to control networking."

#6 2024-02-07 09:32

Dai_trying

This looks like a permissions error to me, you could check if you are a member of the correct group, in my Debian installation with network manager working properly I am in the group "netdev" which looks like it would be the right one.

To check just open a terminal (console) and type

groups

this will show you the groups you are currently in. if unsure post that output here.

#7 2024-02-07 11:57

admin-at-APT

Dai_trying wrote:

This looks like a permissions error to me, you could check if you are a member of the correct group, in my Debian installation with network manager working properly I am in the group "netdev" which looks like it would be the right one.

To check just open a terminal (console) and type

groups

this will show you the groups you are currently in. if unsure post that output here.

Hello, the following is the result after inputting "groups" in the terminal:

cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev users lpadmin bluetooth netdev scanner vboxsf

#8 2024-02-08 09:10

Dai_trying

That looks about the same as mine so I don't see anything missing...

#9 2024-02-23 08:40

admin-at-APT

Hello,

I do not know how I caused the computer to disable connecting to the internet using the ethernet cable (currently using a different computer).

I checked the hardware information and the network device's state is down. Is that the reason why I cannot connect wired and wirelessly.

#10 2024-02-23 16:51

hchiper

Maybe your wireless and wired configurations have been modified inadvertently. To test that supposition, you might boot from a live media. Look for potential error messages and test the connexions. While in a live session, you could type this command in a console and compare to the result of the same command after boot from the installed OS:

$ inxi -N -xxx

Is there a difference, especially for the driver? Does the driver match the device?

If the driver match and you connexion isn't working, you must consider either no driver is available for your (wireless) hardware or the possibility of hardware failure.

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

Board footer