You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-20 22:10

vanquishedangel

So I messed up my install a bit and my repositories (solved)

Hi guys and thank you for reading this. I have a dell latitude d430 with 2 gigs ram and an SSD. I installed q4os pure, and use LXDE as me desktop. I use this as a work computer for editing documents, email, linking to the MS calendar and log for the place I work.

I love q4os and tried the 32 bit but the 64 bit looks and works better. However I was building dependencies and some things could not be built due to no "src" sources. I could not see any listed in the repositories list so eventually I thought adding the repositories for Debian bullseye was the answer.

So I used the command line and added them and all seemed well. I built the dependencies I needed and all seemed well, until I went to reload the software and got warnings about software configured in multiple sources. Then I had to eliminate the sources but before I figured it out completely, I ran sudo apt-get autoremove. This removed my wireless driver and other software (probably from a repository that should have been enabled and was not).

I am wondering if there is a way or a command to make sure all the components of q4os are installed. Thank you all so much. Sometimes I think I am smarter then I am.

Also I am in Ireland right now and internet can be hit or miss in some places.

Last edited by vanquishedangel (2023-05-13 15:37)

#2 2023-02-21 07:36

bin

Re: So I messed up my install a bit and my repositories (solved)

First of all, from the information supplied and the general nature of your description I would start again.
Backup your /home and reinstall.
Working from Pure is absolutely OK.
If your machine supports a 64 bit system then that's the way to go.
LXDE is fine.

The src repos are commented out by default in Q4OS.
By the sound of it you may have tried adding them to /etc/apt/sources.list which is why you'll have had the duplicates warning.
You can either enable them through Synaptic or just by editing them direct.
The files are in /etc/apt/source.list.d
You want 20_debian.list - first section final line shown here - just remove the leading ##

o=Debian,a=stable,n=bullseye,l=Debian,c=[main|contrib|non-free],b=[amd64|i386|arm64|armhf]
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
##deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free

Out of interest what is the software you were trying to compile for the dependencies?

#3 2023-02-21 21:23

vanquishedangel

bin wrote:

First of all, from the information supplied and the general nature of your description I would start again.
Backup your /home and reinstall.
Working from Pure is absolutely OK.
If your machine supports a 64 bit system then that's the way to go.
LXDE is fine.

The src repos are commented out by default in Q4OS.
By the sound of it you may have tried adding them to /etc/apt/sources.list which is why you'll have had the duplicates warning.
You can either enable them through Synaptic or just by editing them direct.
The files are in /etc/apt/source.list.d
You want 20_debian.list - first section final line shown here - just remove the leading ##

o=Debian,a=stable,n=bullseye,l=Debian,c=[main|contrib|non-free],b=[amd64|i386|arm64|armhf]
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
##deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free

Out of interest what is the software you were trying to compile for the dependencies?

Ibreoffice, chronium, and clamav had issues. I will use them to draw up reports for a care facility so due diligence requires antivirus software. I also need it to handle microsoft office online as well. It is all working now, just want to make sure I did not break things too much updates wise. I had to use synaptic for installing because the q4os would not install libreoffice, it would hang. Also I have to manually start TDE network manager and select to enable wireless as it does not start on its own.

Last edited by vanquishedangel (2023-02-21 21:25)

#4 2023-02-22 06:24

bin

If you're running LXDE it doesn't know about TDE Network Manager and would not autostart it.

#5 2023-02-24 22:28

vanquishedangel

bin wrote:

If you're running LXDE it doesn't know about TDE Network Manager and would not autostart it.

Thank you so mostly IT seems i may not have broke things. smile

#6 2023-02-25 06:02

PeterLinu

My final comment. This computer was made in 2008. It comes with Win 32bit. Writing a new request page doesn't make the mobo all-of-sudden work with 64bit. Be it on your head.

Q4OS 5.2 Trinity 32bit Basic on Asus EeePC 1011PX (2011), CPU: Intel Atom N455, 2Gb DDR2 RAM, 256Gb SSD

#7 2023-02-26 23:36

crosscourt
Website

The Dell Latitude D430 uses a 1.2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo cpu which is definitely 64bit and comes standard with a small SSD drive. Ive run Q4OS 64bit on it as recently as two years ago, when I still owned one.

Last edited by crosscourt (2023-02-27 03:30)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#8 2023-03-09 18:59

vanquishedangel

crosscourt wrote:

The Dell Latitude D430 uses a 1.2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo cpu which is definitely 64bit and comes standard with a small SSD drive. Ive run Q4OS 64bit on it as recently as two years ago, when I still owned one.

Yep 64bit works well on the computer (speeds it up a bit to) save memory limitations. Using Q4os on it along with LXDE really helps the limited memory issue. While in Ireland I used it to keep up on the facility while I was away by sharing the log in onenote with myself and accessing it via the browser, same for appointment calendars in microsoft office. Email is handled through thunderbird. The browser is chromium (uses less ram the firefox). I also bought a 4gb SD card and moved the swap space on to that as the laptop has a built in reader. This works because SD cards are cheap and can last a while these days, but also when the computer swaps, it is not congesting the slow pata solid state drive.

All this combined makes the laptop very usable, faster, and no crashes.

Last edited by vanquishedangel (2023-03-09 19:00)

Board footer