You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-28 10:36

smokinmoe

[SOLVED] jdownloader2 ffmpeg missing

I'm a recent "convert" to Q4OS; installed it and love it... and thankyou cool

I'm having no luck with Jdownloader downloading video variants from youtube.
On other systems, both Windows and Linux, it isn't an issue; just install jdownloader and ffmpeg and it all works.

On Q4OS it doesn't sad
The issue is that I cannot download variants of the video, only the original in whatever format it is.
When I change the video to say 720p AAC webm, while the link is in the Link Grabber tab there are no problems.
However, when I start the download and the link is transferred to Downloads, I get a pop-up entitled

FFmpeg is missing!

FFmpeg is missing!

I've tried to resolve the problem using various fixes:

Removing and reinstalling jdownloader2

I think ffmpeg may have been installed via the Q4OS welcome screen / Install Proprietary Codecs or possibly during one of the Desktop Profilers I tried: I originally tried the Full feature Desktop but it failed (even after waiting for a substantial time between attempts, as advised), a few times..., then I successfully ran the Basic Q4OS Desktop which probably suits me better anyway. I'm guessing how ffmpeg came to be installed because I know I didn't directly install it myself until I had issues with jdownloader. I;m guessin 'cos I'm a Q4OS noob, maybe one of you more seasoned users can enlighten me?

via snap: (This is how I installed jdownloader2 in the first place)

snap remove jdownloader2
 snap install jdownloder2

via apt:

apt remove jdownloader2
apt remove ffmpeg
apt install ffmpeg -y
apt install jdownloader2 -y

and/or

apt reinstall install ffmpeg -y
apt reinstall jdownloader2 -y

Note: as jdownloader has the dependency on ffmpeg (to convert the video when a different variant is chosen to download), I always made sure that ffmpeg was installed prior to installing jdownloader... kinda common sense.

Reinitializing the jdownloader installation using the method suggested below: link not allowed
  1. Close JDownloader

2. [Optional] Backup your settings/downloadlist

3. Delete the following files/folders in your JD installation directory:

• Files: Core.jar

• Folders: tmp, update

4. Check if JDownloader.jar " still exists in your jdownloader2 directory (for me this is ~/snap/jdownloader2).

• if not, get it from here: link not allowed

5. Restart JDownloader

Manually modifying the Jdownloader Settings

as per this method: link not allowed

1. Install ffmpeg:

sudo apt install ffmpeg 
  2. Locate where ffmpeg is called from (installed to):

• in a terminal:

which ffmpeg 
       which ffprobe 

On my system it was

/usr/bin/ffmpeg 

and

/usr/bin/ffprobe 
  3. Search Settings / Advanced Settings for the entries for

ffmpeg-binary path 

and

ffprobe-path 

and set/reset them accordingly

4. Restart Jdownloader2

but thus far no success.

I have one last method to try which is to install JDownloader 2 Adware-free Setup (JDownloader2Setup_unix_nojre.sh) from the offical jdownloader.org/jdownloader2 download page (using the linux variant of course). I'll update this entry with the results.

Any help or suggestions truly appreciated.

System specs

Hardware:
Acer Aspire A717-72G
Intel Core i7-8750h 2.2ghZ with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 Dedicated VRAM
16GB DDR4 Memory
128GB SSD + 1000GB HDD

Software:
Host OS: Windows 11 Home
ver: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.819]
winver: Microsoft Windows Version 22H2 (OS Build 22621.8.19)

Virtualization Platform: Oracle Virtualbox v7.02 r154219 (Qt5.15.2)
Guest OS: Q4OS 4.8 Trinity (64bit) (a .vdi downloaded from osboxes.org)

Guest Additions: Installed from the Q4OS built-in in Virtualbox Additions via Software Centre

Last edited by smokinmoe (2022-11-29 00:38)

Attachments:
png jdownloader2-ffmpeg-missing-dialogue.png, Size: 101.62 KiB, Downloads: 146
png jdownloader2-ffmpeg-missing-dialogue-cropped.png, Size: 87.89 KiB, Downloads: 145

System H/ware: Acer Aspire A717-72G: Intel Core i7-8750h 2.2ghZ with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 Dedicated VRAM, 16GB DDR4 Memory, 128GB SSD + 1TB SATA HDD | S/ware: OS Windows 11 / Q4OS 4.8 Trinity

#2 2022-11-28 16:54

bin

Re: [SOLVED] jdownloader2 ffmpeg missing

I would suggest that your issue lies in the Guest OS.

If the info provided is correct you're using Q4OS 4.8  via a downloaded .vdi- which is way out of date.

If you're using Virtualbox then just download the latest version of Trinity https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … o/download and install in a VM.

Install and then see how you get on. There are other YouTube downloaders as well.

#3 2022-11-29 00:37

smokinmoe

Turns out it was the simplest of issues... the dialogue was not being displayed comletely so I couldnt see the option to click on a button to install ffmpeg.
If you look at the two attachments on the original post the jdownloader2-ffmpeg-missing-dialogue-cropped.png image shows how the dialogue presented to me and the jdownloader2-ffmpeg-missing-dialogue.png shows how it should have looked.
I ran through it so many times, not being able to see where to click until for some reason I decided to tro to move the dialogue and low and behold it "popped out" so I could see the button.

Congratulations to Jdownloader for fixing it's own issue (how clever) and boo for making it so the button was obscured. Hopefully this only happened to me.

Now, if I can only work out how to get the  [ img ]  tag to work here...

Last edited by smokinmoe (2022-11-29 00:43)

System H/ware: Acer Aspire A717-72G: Intel Core i7-8750h 2.2ghZ with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 Dedicated VRAM, 16GB DDR4 Memory, 128GB SSD + 1TB SATA HDD | S/ware: OS Windows 11 / Q4OS 4.8 Trinity

#4 2022-11-29 17:13

Midas

Please disregard.

Last edited by Midas (2022-11-29 17:14)

Board footer