You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-18 23:24

JSM
Banned

What I need to run WP on my Q4OS? Universal theme builder?

Hi

I would like to install WP on my notebook (and possibly also further CMS) in order to develop locally and then host the website as a "static page". For this I need a database, a php server and a cpanel (or something simpler), because I'm so used to it.

What should I choose? There are many options. It doesn't have to be particularly fast. So far I have seen MariaDB and Apache. I have a backup of a WP website that used a mysql, I want to be able to use this and import it.

I like MariaDB, just because of the name. What kind of server should I install that is not too big? Directly apache or something else, smaller? Which php? Which "cpanel product"? First of all, it must support the database (create database, create users, import, export). I'm not a big website developer, it's basically about simple things.

I am also looking for a "universal" theme builder that works for different Wesbite builders, so where I can create my theme and then customize it with the help of an export function for WP, Drupal, Grav, Nikola, etc. Is there such a thing? Or do I have to recreate my theme in every website builder with the offered theme builders?

Many questions, but maybe some tips from people who already have experience?

#2 2022-06-19 06:18

bin

Re: What I need to run WP on my Q4OS? Universal theme builder?

As far as WP Local is concerned - I have just gone through the process of setting this up. Not through choice I might add so I am having to learn as I go.

Should be simple.
Download the latest WP Local https://localwp.com/
Install MySQL - instructions are here https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-in … on-debian/
Install WP Local from deb...........tear hair out when it won't work as expected.

OK - lets start again.
This is in a fresh install in a VM - using Q4OS Gemini Plasma
During the install process you are asked to set up a user account and you are also asked if you want to use the same password for admin purposes. You do not want to do that - setting an admin password enables the root account and that is needed. I have been unable to get mysql to install and run without a working o/s root account.
On an existing install without that you can enable the root account via 'sudo passwd root' followed by a reboot.
I then used the old fashioned su command to run the installations as root rather than via sudo. It may be that it does work via sudo on a root enabled system but life's too short to keep messing with that.

In order to be able to use WP Local you'll have to configure the router mode under Local>Preferences>Advanced>Router Mode>localhost

You can - in theory - import a WP site. However, be aware that WP Local using localhost routing will not support https.

As regards a universal theme builder........good luck.

#3 2022-06-19 15:30

JSM
Banned

Re: What I need to run WP on my Q4OS? Universal theme builder?

@bin

Thank you!

No, I am ot talking about "WPlocal". I like to install the normal WP on my local computer. But I think I will follow this instructions, just will look for a "cpanel-like" tool or maybe a simple GUI for mariaDB.

https://www.linuxcapable.com/how-to-ins … -bullseye/

The search for a "universal" theme builder is maybe to early? And I have already a other idea. How about a "integral website", which contains both the theme and all the plugins that are used? If you have built the website with a CMS, for example WP, then you use the theme builder built into the theme (grapes js?) and imports the plugins into the website. Then you take your "integral website" and use it on Drupal, for example. There you install another plugin, as a normal Drupal plugin. If you are satisfied with the plugin, you integrate it into the website. If you no longer want a plugin, you remove it from the "integral website" with a delete function. You could even create an update function to update an integrated plugin with the help of its zip, without loading the "integral website" again in the appropriate CMS. So you would have everything with you, the theme, the theme builder and the plugins. Only the CMS would be "external" and is addressed via an interface of the "intergral website".

smile

Board footer