You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-27 16:11

JAPP

Naming partitions

Hello everyone - New member and first time poster here.

I am trying to install Q4OS on a very old and very small machine. I'm using a 32 Bit Centaurus Trinity CD. My install failed as soon as I got to the partitioning  of the disk - not nearly enough ram. Started playing with things (Keep in mind that I am definitely not a programmer!) and decided to see if I could partition the HD myself using fdisk. Much to my surprise I've managed to build 3 partitions on the HD. I'm now at the point where I need to properly name them. I need to set the partition "Type" using the hex codes but don't know what codes I should use. I currently have 3 properly sized partitions with the names "/dev/sda1" of Type: "Linux",  "/dev/sda2" of Type: "Linux" and"/dev/sda3" of Type: "Linux/Solaris". I am now officially at a standstill, quite proud of myself for having gotten this far - while being thoroughly distraught at not being able to reach the finish line. Any help anyone could offer at this point would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2021-01-27 16:23

Tolkem

Re: Naming partitions

I am trying to install Q4OS on a very old and very small machine. I'm using a 32 Bit Centaurus Trinity CD. My install failed as soon as I got to the partitioning  of the disk - not nearly enough ram.

How much RAM  does this pc have? When you say if fails, do you mean Q4OS installer default options? Did you create partitions on your own before running the installer? How were you installing Q4OS? Booted the live iso, click install Q4OS and follow the instructions leaving the defaults?

#3 2021-01-27 16:38

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@JAPP
Please post the exact error message, screenshot would be most helpful.

#4 2021-01-27 19:13

JAPP

Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies, I think I might have just stumbled and bumbled my way through it. As far as I can tell, it is installing right now. It's showing 94% in the "Select and install software" screen. The install was shifting into "Low memory mode" soon after starting and I was getting as far as a screen saying "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu." I wish I could tell you how I did it but I tried so many different things that I don't remember exactly what I did to correct it! Any way - It has asked for my name and password and is now prompting me with "japp@q4os-desktop:~$". I'm assuming this is a good thing. We'll see if I can go any farther.

Board footer