You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-20 21:33

jesito

32 bit install fail "Failed to retrieve preconfiguration file"

Hi everybody.
I've recently discovered Q4OS and tried it in my desktop box (a humble 64bit barebone with 2Gb mem).
Everything went fine, fast install and a really polished finishing, no woes at all.
Every app I use installed flawlessly, so I thought I found "my" distro.

Then I tried to install it on my Toshiba Satellite M40X, a nice 32 bit laptop that has served me well for years.
I downloaded "q4os-3.12-i386-instcd.r3.iso" and burnt it onto a Sandisk Cruiser flashdrive, 8Gb, (the same one I used for the desktop) with Balena-Etcher. No troubles so far.
Booted fine. I selected the first intallation option (not the automated one), and I got asked for language, location, keyboard, etc.
The laptop is connected to the net through an ethernet cable to the router (I use to avoid Wifi for installs).
Just after that I got the message "Failed to retrieve the preconfiguration file", no way of further proceed with installation.

Any clues?.
I'm definitely in love with Q4OS, it would be a pity to use a different distro for the laptop.
Thanks in advance.

Jes.

#2 2021-01-20 22:32

jesito

Re: 32 bit install fail "Failed to retrieve preconfiguration file"

More info.
Checked checksums. Are okay.
Used Rufus to burn the image, Same result.

The full message text is:
Load debconf preconfiguration file

Failed to retrieve the preconfiguration file
The file needed for preconfiguration could not be retrieved from
File:///cdrom/simple-cdd/q4_2.preseed. The installation will proceed in non-automated mode.

Tried the automated installation and the same happened.
Regards.
Jes.

#3 2021-01-20 22:59

jesito

Solved!
Burning a CD instead or booting from a flash drive solved the issue.
Thanks!

#4 2021-01-20 23:04

crosscourt
Website

Its happened to me quite often and with older hardware in particular. Using a live cd/dvd has always been a safe bet and I still use them with family and clients.

Glad you got it solved.

Last edited by crosscourt (2021-01-20 23:05)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#5 2021-01-21 11:04

jesito

crosscourt wrote:

Its happened to me quite often and with older hardware in particular. Using a live cd/dvd has always been a safe bet and I still use them with family and clients.

Glad you got it solved.

Thanks!
The fact that the 64bit version worked from the flash drive misleaded me, the file name is clear: "CD image"...
Now I'm going to do a second install, the full install has too many apps that I do not need.
On the other hand, the feeling with the 32 bit version is the same, fast and well finished.

Regards,
Jes.

Last edited by jesito (2021-01-21 18:42)

Board footer