You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-14 20:12

dragon

Q4OS 3.12 32 bits - ADSL modem - No Internet connection

I installed Q4OS 3.12 32 bits on a computer and tried to connect to Internet via an ADSL wired modem. As Q4OS is based on Debian I tought I could use pppoeconf to configure the computer with the modem. But pppoeconf could not be found so I tried network manager; however a DSL function is not available. So I installed pppoe and pppoeconf and went through the config procedure with a message at the end signaling that ppp0 is running.

So far so good but no more luck as plog indicated "PAP authentication failed" and the modem has hung up. In fact it always tries to (re)connect and always fails. Also network manager crashes for no apparent reason as I don't use it. That same modem is used by my Internet computer so this is not the problem. That modem is not a router, I (dis)connect the network cables manually from one computer to the other.

I spent many, many hours on this, installing distros, comparing DSL network support. It seems like some distros/people over there have decided DSL is not used anymore so let's remove support/packages ......  Let's free some KBytes on the users terabyte hard drive. I am not against 4-dimensional galactic graphic desktop but I would like basic functions to work reliably.

Thanks for your help.

#2 2021-01-15 07:05

bin

Re: Q4OS 3.12 32 bits - ADSL modem - No Internet connection

Many many years ago - US Robotics Sportster 14400 - oh that sound..........but it should still work.

Have you explored the setup of the modem itself?

Have you installed kppp-trinity?

Have you read this ? https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/li … 08s08.html

#3 2021-01-18 19:32

dragon

I have a TP-Link 8616 ADSL modem, this is a digital transmission on the phone line, not those analog dialup modem of 15 years ago.

I installed kppp but could not configure it properly, for example it asked for a phone number and other parameters that don't exist for ADSL.
Anyway after that I did "pppoeconf" once again, all went well and it told me I was now connected. Once again I opened konqueror with some "no Internet" message.

2 things that could help:
- there is no resolve.config file in /etc/ppp
- the computer is always transmitting to the modem, this device connected to the phone line or not. The little yellow light flashing beside the network connector shows a repetitive sequence.

Next action now would be to copy that resolv.config from the Internet computer.

#4 2021-01-22 20:07

dragon

Copying that file to the new computer made no difference.
So I installed another distros, derivative from Debian/Ubuntu like Q4OS, and in network manager I found a DSL tab. The new connection was set up with user name and password etc and in no time I was surfing on Internet.
As far as I am concerned this topic is SOLVED.

Board footer