You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-03 18:29

niceq4os

powersave/acpi

I was posting on forum, but could not see any way to attach files.
Just installed Q4OS, a few days ago, on old Toshiba laptop L305-S5955 with Vista installed originally.  Everything seemed to work fine and I set about setting it up for my dear old Mother, who has been using it since new, under Windows. I got everything set up to basically mimic the way she was using under Windows.
  So, I shut it down and took it to her place, and was showing her the basics. I discovered that tdepowersave was no longer responding to plug/unplug events, and machine would not sleep when lid was closed. However, powersave could still suspend to ram with menu option.
So, I assumed something in bios was incompatible, BUT after manually suspending and resuming everything worked fine! I closed the lid and it went to sleep, I set it to notify with sound when unplug/replug power, and that was working again, as well. I closed, and opened the lid about 20 times and it seemed to be working like a champ.  As soon as I powered off completely, and brought back up, it would no longer respond to lid or powerplug events. I repeated all of the above many times and consistently it will work fine after suspend/wake, until I power it down again.
   I have updated the Bios to the latest version,today, Ver 2.20 of "Insyde"
April 2 first boot ends at 17:06 approx.
Thank You.

Will post report file when I am granted ability.

Last edited by niceq4os (2017-04-03 19:34)

Attachments:
gz qreport.tar.gz, Size: 49.75 KiB, Downloads: 790

#2 2017-04-03 18:58

Dai_trying

Re: powersave/acpi

One thing to check, if you go to TDEPowersave Settings->General Settings->Miscellaneous and make sure TDEPowersave starts automatically on login is checked, if it has no tick in the box it will not start automatically.

#3 2017-04-03 19:01

niceq4os

Hi, DaiTrying, Yes it always comes up, even with cold boot, but only functions after suspend/resume.
Nice of you to always be here helping out. Kudos.

#4 2017-04-03 19:06

niceq4os

You can tell I'm a Linux noob, I messed up case-sensitivity on your username! Ha!

Note: qreport added to OP

Last edited by niceq4os (2017-04-03 19:35)

#5 2017-04-03 20:51

Dai_trying

You're welcome, and don't worry I can be called anything so long as it's not late for dinner big_smile .

I don't usually use suspend/hibernate features on my laptop as I want everything running full speed when switched on and I don't (usually) leave it on when not in use, but I will set some of the features you use to see if I get the same results, although I'm using 64bit systems so might not be the same...

#6 2017-04-03 21:16

Dai_trying

I cannot replicate the problem, I have enabled suspend to ram and disk modes rebooted after each change and everything worked as it should, notifications (sound and display) work correctly after reboot too. Maybe someone else has a 32bit system they can check...

#7 2017-04-03 22:29

niceq4os

Thanks for giving it a go, I am gonna keep digging. Looking at saved syslogs and stuff to see if I can find clues.
I am a noob, so I have a lot of info to wade through before it makes sense to me.
I can't wrap my head around the fact that it won't work on initial boot, but works after suspend-to-ram. If suspend just saves state, and resume reloads from that state, why would tdepowersave suddenly work correctly after resume?
Since it works correctly after resume, I have to assume that BIOS is indeed supplying input to acpi system,and that q40s(TDE) can read it, and act on it (as it does so after resume-from-suspend).
It doesn't help that I am working on a copy of q4os running under VM at home, and have to drive across town to look at the target machine. I am having no luck getting files into VirtualBox from Windows, and vice-versa. I have the relevant extensions installed on VBox and in Q4OS guest extensions.
Back to the docs for that too.

#8 2017-04-04 05:35

bin

It may help to install ACPI

In Synaptic make sure you have the following installed followed by a reboot.
acpi
acpi-fakekey
acpi-support
acpi-support-base
acpid

acpi support is able to:
* Detect loss and gain of AC power, lid closure, and the press of a
   number of specific buttons (on Asus, IBM, Lenovo, Panasonic, Sony
   and Toshiba laptops).
* Suspend, hibernate and resume the computer, with workarounds for
   hardware that needs it.
* On some laptops, set screen brightness.

#9 2017-04-04 17:20

niceq4os

Hi, bin, I saw your post on the other similar thread. I have hesitated to install more acpi related stuff, until I understand what is happening
with machine now.
As I noted above, it already is detecting, and acting on lid closure, lid open, and will suspend and resume. It just wont do it when cold booted.(although suspend/resume works from menu). I have to boot it up, and then suspend and resume, and it will work until shut down again.
I'm not sure about adding more processes, all trying to read and act on the same acpi info.
I may try this, but if conflicts in memory, etc. were to render it unbootable or something, how would i remove the added packages?
(Or prevent them running).
I am, as noted, a Linux noob. More guidance needed, please. For last few days, I'm doing nothing but read Linux docs. Am confused,tired.

Thanks to you, and D_T for trying to help!

#10 2017-04-04 20:33

Dai_trying

You can easily check if the packages bin suggested are already installed by typing

apt-cache policy acpi | grep -i install

you can do that for each package and it will report something like

dai@q4scorpion23:~$ apt-cache policy acpi | grep -i install
  Installed: (none)

or if the package is installed it will show version like this

dai@q4scorpion23:~$ apt-cache policy conky-all | grep -i install
  Installed: 1.10.6-1

Could let us know which packages from bin's list are/are not installed.

#11 2017-04-04 21:42

niceq4os

I think I did similar, using dpkg:

dpkg -l 

I don't have anything installed starting with 'acpi'.

#12 2017-04-04 21:48

niceq4os

Correction, I did this early on and do not THINK I had any "acpi" packages installed.
I have to make a 12 mile (@20km for ROW) drive to Mom's to look at current state of machine.

#13 2017-04-04 22:47

Dai_trying

I often use teamviewer to manage remote systems, it can be installed (from Q4OS Software Centre) and set to not start until required (so you don't have permanent internet connection to server) and a quick call to Mum and she could click the icon to start it and you can work as if you were in front of the machine. I have found it to be invaluable as I manage systems up to 150 miles away and it's not practical to travel there when something isn't working properly.

You can use it for personal use entirely free! which is how I've been using it for about 3 years (maybe longer, I don't recall exactly when I started using it).

Of course there are alternatives out there, this one is just my preference. smile

#14 2017-04-04 23:02

niceq4os

Yep, me too. Had Teamviewer on there when it was running Windows.
I was trying not to put anything other than the basics on there, until I make decision about staying with q4os.
I didn't research yet Linux Teamviewer. I was using the always running service on hers for awhile, so she wouldn't have to do anything but wake the machine up. As long as she was on,  I was on. I think that module may have been Windows-only.

#15 2017-04-05 07:23

Dai_trying

You can set teamviewer to be always on, but I have issues with allowing remote login, whenever I login to another machine it seems to kick me out and then not allow me back in to the session. I have them set now to start with an icon on the desktop when they need me to do something. I don't need access any other time so it works well for me, if I see their machine go online I know they want some assistance or they call/text me to let me know what is wrong and I can login and sort it out. I also use the app on my phone to do the same when I'm out, so I don't have to be in front of my Laptop/Pc to help them.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2017-04-05 07:24)

Board footer