You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-19 23:53

FlexQ4

Konqueror capable to handle tar-archives without ARK?

Dear Folks!

Please let me start my first post here with a grand THANK YOU! - for your EXCELLENT job which you've done with Q4OS!

I tried several distro's in the past (to FINALLY wave goodbye to MS Windows...) including MINT and Linux Lite lately, all of them did not fit my taste after 2 decades with Windows.

For sure, after spending 2 days now with Q4OS some (minor) issues and question occurred (as expected;-).
Before i will post and discuss them here, please let me tell you about one big point that i'm absolutely unhappy with:

It concerns Konqueror an it's standard behavior with .tar archives (ie. it's inability to handle/unpack them out of the box).
Ok, i know how to open a terminal and type "tar -xjf", but anyway, it's 2017 and i insist on having the possibility on clicking and choosing "Open with..."

So i googled a bit and found ARK as the tool of the choice, started the Synaptic PM and was not astonished badly, that this meant a download of packages of over 200 MB!

200+ MB packages for the GUI integration of (EXISTING tar-) functionality into the file-manager?

No. Sorry, not with me. I did it, and it worked for sure.

But i admit to be fairly disappointed about this fact - that it needs an 219 MB update to provide it's File Manager the ability to integrate existing compression/archiving functionality in the GUI.

I have the suspect that something went wrong utterly here.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions, answers and ideas...

Flex

#2 2017-02-20 01:18

Dai_trying

Re: Konqueror capable to handle tar-archives without ARK?

Hi FlexQ4 and welcome to the forum,

One thing for you to remember when installing apps with Q4OS is to look for the package name with -trinity at the end, you will notice a vast difference with download size, and it can usually be found to work better with Q4OS.

#3 2017-02-20 02:01

FlexQ4

Many thanks Dai_trying, for your quick reply - that would mean very good news for me!
(and indeed, after more than 10  houres of hard working on a new os something went utterly down - my concentration !-)
Meanwhile i changead to my prod.machine and i'll check this later...

Anyway: IT (synaptic) should actually know what IT (trinity) is - and give me a clue at least to avoid such errors...

Many Thanks again, and i'll post a broader bulletin about my experiences later... i MUST try to install compiz before
(as a killer argument for friends & buddies to switch from Windows wink

#4 2017-02-20 02:09

Dai_trying

You're welcome smile
And you could take a look at the Q4OS documentation HERE for some tips. I often find myself going back to them to check the easiest way to do something (although a quick check didn't reveal anything about compiz unfortunately).

One thing to note about compiz is this post from the developers

But there is also this post which would suggest using compiz-trinity, but you may have to tweak it some.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2017-02-20 02:17)

#5 2017-02-20 08:15

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

FlexQ4 wrote:

It concerns Konqueror an it's standard behavior with .tar archives (ie. it's inability to handle/unpack them out of the box).

You don't need to install 'ark' or any additional software, just double-click on a .tar file in konqueror, it will open it, even on a clean Q4OS installation.

#6 2017-02-21 16:47

FlexQ4

Hello & Thanks also at the q4os-Team!

Having solved my little Ark-issue with your kind support, there remain 4 problems that occur on my system at the moment-

1. After sending my session to hibernation and restarting it later, Ethernet connection did'nt work anymore at all.
    I had to restart the machine to regain access to internet.

2. For configuring Conky, Compiz & Co i need to edit text-files. But in Console/bash it's not possible to start vi:
    command not found!
    /bin , /usr/bin , /usr/local/bin are part of the PATH variable.  A Linux OS without vi, really??

3. For some reason i'd like to work withe a (very) old version (1.5) of Firefox, got the .tar archive from here:
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel … 686/en-US/
    I extracted it, ok, but how is it possibe to start the application? Double-clicking either on the shell script 'firefox' or on the
    binary 'firefox.bin' doesn't work.

4. This one's really grave for me: A main argument for q4os for me was Konqueror as it's main Filemanager an browser.
    I REALLY like the tree-structured view (navigation panel) in the left, which provides immediate access to every location!
    But after using it for a while now i observed a, well let's say "mistakable" behaviour: Pressing on folders leads to a
    highlighting (a blue bar) of the appropriate folder/location in the tree-node.
    But, after navigating 'BACK' (by clicking the back-button) the highlighting REMAINS on the last folder.
    This is VERY confusing. Particularly while navigating through Windows NTFS partitions, searching for a special file to
    copy to Linux.
    But also in general this is an EXTREMELY strange & mistakable behaviour: highlighting one folder in the left, but showing
    the content of another - and i can hardly believe and accept this.

Please be assured that i searched an googled lot to resolve these points - but i did not accomplish one of them - what a pity.

Many Thanks again in advance for your ideas, answers, comments and solutions

Flex

#7 2017-02-21 18:13

Dai_trying

FlexQ4 wrote:

2. For configuring Conky, Compiz & Co i need to edit text-files. But in Console/bash it's not possible to start vi:
    command not found!
    /bin , /usr/bin , /usr/local/bin are part of the PATH variable.  A Linux OS without vi, really??

I use nano as I find it much more intuitive than vi, but you can install vim in the usual manner if you really want/need it.

FlexQ4 wrote:

3. For some reason i'd like to work withe a (very) old version (1.5) of Firefox, got the .tar archive from here:
    I extracted it, ok, but how is it possibe to start the application? Double-clicking either on the shell script 'firefox' or on the
    binary 'firefox.bin' doesn't work.

I'm not sure version 1.5 would display webpages correctly now as web practices have changed quite a bit in the last 11 years. And security could be an issue too.

mozilla archive wrote:

Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until mid-May 2007.

I can't help with the other points as I don't use them, but I'm sure someone else might offer some advise/suggestions. smile

#8 2017-02-21 18:39

FlexQ4

Many thanks again, Dai_trying,

i'll use nano - so Point 2 is done!
I won't use that old version of FF for the internet but for local (documentation) pages - that's no security risk ;-)

#9 2017-02-21 18:52

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

add 1.
It's hardware specific issue, please post a short specification of your hardware.

add 2.
Thanks Dai_trying for the help.

add 3.
Try to run firefox from terminal and post output here.

add 4.
We are not able to reproduce such behavior. Clicked 'Root Folder' tab and browse files, folders in the tab follow files selected, even the 'back' and 'forward' button has been used. Please post as exact as possible procedure for us to be able to reproduce it.

#10 2017-02-22 01:34

FlexQ4

q4osteam wrote:

add 1.
It's hardware specific issue, please post a short specification of your hardware.

Abit IP35 Pro (8 years old, rock-stable, with an Intel C2D and) two Realtek 8110SC LAN-Chips onboard:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. … 6813127030

q4osteam wrote:

add 2.
Thanks Dai_trying for the help.

and Thanks again from me!

q4osteam wrote:

add 3.
Try to run firefox from terminal and post output here.

it says: "firefox: command not found" (it says it in German of course).

The files ('firefox' and 'firefox-bin') are executable. The program-folder is located in a subfolder ('Programs') of my Home Folder.
Could anyone kindly get the tar an test this?

q4osteam wrote:

add 4.
We are not able to reproduce such behavior. Clicked 'Root Folder' tab and browse files, folders in the tab follow files selected, even the 'back' and 'forward' button has been used. Please post as exact as possible procedure for us to be able to reproduce it.

So amazed about that behavior, i started q4os from the stick again and - it worked perfectly! What the hell has happened here?
The only obvious difference is, that in my setup the highlight-bar is dark blue (i choose q4os_classic theme) and the live-system starts with "q4os_default", which causes the highlight-bar to be "light-yellow-grey".

This must be solved! If we don't find it in a 'logical' way, i'll do a new install i swear...

Bye

#11 2017-02-22 01:46

Dai_trying

FlexQ4 wrote:

it says: "firefox: command not found" (it says it in German of course).

The files ('firefox' and 'firefox-bin') are executable. The program-folder is located in a subfolder ('Programs') of my Home Folder.
Could anyone kindly get the tar an test this?

You must run the command from the folder that contains the executable file (as it is not in your $PATH), so you should do something like :-

cd ~/Programs/ # or whatever folder contains firefox
./firefox

then you can post the output for scrutiny. smile

#12 2017-02-22 02:20

FlexQ4

Dai_trying wrote:

You must run the command from the folder that contains the executable file (as it is not in your $PATH), so you should do something like :-

cd ~/Programs/ # or whatever folder contains firefox
./firefox

then you can post the output for scrutiny. smile

Yes, i do so for sure (the path "~/Programs/Firefox 1.5"  is shown indeed in the bash-prompt!), with "ls -lisa" i can see that both files are executable for all,group&user. And they eare written in green :-)

#13 2017-02-22 04:10

JimW

Question.
May be far out in left field, but can you run it with sudo?

#14 2017-02-22 09:13

bin

Change to the Firefox folder created where you extracted the archive. ~/Programs/Firefox 1.5

The type ./firefox

You'll get

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That lib is now a symlink to a later version so may point to the start of your problem.

If you want a lightweight local page browser something like midori may help. Konqueror will also do the trick of course smile

#15 2017-02-22 10:09

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

'libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0' is part of 'libgtk2.0-0' package, so the command:
$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0
should pull up the needed library for Firefox 1.5. Now you could try to run FF again:
$ cd "~/Programs/Firefox 1.5"
$ ./firefox

#16 2017-02-22 10:26

bin

Sorry, I missed this line out of the post -

libgtk2.0-0 is already the newest version

There is already a symlink for libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 pointing to libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.25

#17 2017-02-22 12:57

FlexQ4

Many Thanks  @ all !

q4osteam wrote:

'libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0' is part of 'libgtk2.0-0' package, so the command:
$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0
should pull up the needed library for Firefox 1.5. Now you could try to run FF again..

The library seems to be already part of the system (is yet the newest version ... 0 actualized, 0 installed new...)
I think that is what bin meant with:

bin wrote:

libgtk2.0-0 is already the newest version

There is already a symlink for libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 pointing to libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.25

Is there anything else i could try to make that old (and much beloved) version running?

The navigation problem with Konqueror:
-------------------------------------------------------
I found out, that the problem ONLY occurs when choosing a folder within the "Document Folder" or "Home Folder" !
As long as i navigate through other folders, disks or partitions  everything is fine.
Having open the (vertical) tab "System" in Konq.  the following _amazing_ tree-structure is shown:

System
- Documents Folder
    - Bilder
    - Musik
       - Flac
    - Texte
- Home Folder
    - Dokumente 
       - Bilder
          - Stellarium
       - Musik
       - Texte
    - Programs
      Desktop
+ Remote Places

(Bilder is german for Pictures,  Musik = Music and so on)

So, what does that mean?
Clicking on "Bilder" (under "Documents Folder") and "Bilder" (under "Dokumente") shows EXACTLY the same result in the right window (where the files are shown) BUT, in the tree, the subfolder "1280" and "Stellarium" are only visible under "Dokumente" !

Reversely, the subfolder "Flac" of Musik is a node only under "Dokuments Folder" - underneath "Home Folder / Dokumente" it's not visible in the tree!

Obviously: "Documents Folder" and "Dokumente" are the same (identical?), but for some reason they are shown twice in the tree, but with different structures!

I log in as the user which was created during the installation of q4os.

#18 2017-02-22 13:27

bin

Re Konqueror navigation:-

Take a look at Control Centre>System Administration>Paths and make sure that the paths match up with the actual paths on your system

For some bizarre reason the defaults are for 'Documents' to hold both 'Pictures' and 'Music' folders

WRT Firefox - you probably need a whole lot of i386 libraries
Start of by going to the F/F folder then:-
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386

./firefox

It should tell you it is missing libpangoxft
sudo apt-get install libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386

./firefox
You're missing libpangox-1.0.so.0
sudo apt-get install libpangox-1.0:i386

and so on until it works

#19 2017-02-22 18:04

FlexQ4

Thank you, binl!

bin wrote:

WRT Firefox - you probably need a whole lot of i386 libraries
Start of by going to the F/F folder then:-
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386

./firefox

and so on until it works

A whole lot of TWO further libraries and it worked! :-) - And of course, starting it directly without a special profile, it ripped up the profile of my newer Firefox HAHA.

bin wrote:

Re Konqueror navigation:-

Take a look at Control Centre>System Administration>Paths and make sure that the paths match up with the actual paths on your system
For some bizarre reason the defaults are for 'Documents' to hold both 'Pictures' and 'Music' folders

Thanks again for that hint - but the Paths there are all correct!

What i find bizarre is the following: hovering above the 3 Documents-folder in the System-tree leads to 3 different locations shown by the info-Tooltip:
1. "Documents Folder" (direct under the main node System)    hint: system:/documents
2. "Dokumente"           (under the node "Home Folder")           hint: /home/me/Dokumente
3. "Dokumente"           (all down, under Users Folders-> me):  hint: system:/users/me/Dokumente

All in all there are given 3 DIFFERENT locations - for ONE folder !?
The strange fact is: navigation in the tree works flawlessly - until i click on any node under "Home Folder": then the mess starts...

But i don't want to plague you any longer with this - let me thank you all once more for your grand support here and finish this thread.

#20 2017-02-22 18:47

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

FlexQ4 wrote:

What i find bizarre is the following: hovering above the 3 Documents-folder in the System-tree leads to 3 different locations shown by the info-Tooltip:
1. "Documents Folder" (direct under the main node System)    hint: system:/documents
2. "Dokumente"           (under the node "Home Folder")           hint: /home/me/Dokumente
3. "Dokumente"           (all down, under Users Folders-> me):  hint: system:/users/me/Dokumente

There are so called virtual filesystems shortcuts in Trinity desktop. Some of them are:

system:/trash/
system:/documents/
system:/media/
system:/remote/
system:/users/

These shortcuts point to a proper locations in the filesystem structure, so we can see nothing odd. If you feel this as an improper ordering, you could report a bug here https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi
In addition, there is a missing translation for 'Documents Folder' string only. We are going to add it into our todo list.

FlexQ4 wrote:

... navigation in the tree works flawlessly - until i click on any node under "Home Folder": then the mess starts...

We are still not able to reproduce, even browsing files in home folder. Clicked 'Root Folder' tab and browse files, folders in the tab follow files selected, even the 'back' and 'forward' button has been used. Please post a step by step procedure for us to be able to reproduce it.

#21 2017-02-23 07:25

bin

Well, I must admit I was a little puzzled when I saw this but I think I see what is happening.

Flex4Q - in the left hand side of the Konqueror display there is a column of icons starting with Bookmarks and going down to Services.

Part way down you have the Home Folder and next one down is System.

If you use the System shortcut then you get the behaviour you describe which can be a bit puzzling.

If instead you click on the Home Folder then you should find all is as you expect.

I wonder if perhaps you are using the My Computer link on the desktop - which opens the System folder.

I tend to go in via the My Documents link on the desktop - but what I do is to right click in that and amend the URL to just /home/robin/ - that way I arrive at the top of my user space rather than in Documents

Last edited by bin (2017-02-23 08:41)

Attachments:
png Konq1.png, Size: 188.08 KiB, Downloads: 589

#22 2017-02-23 08:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

I tend to go in via the My Documents link on the desktop - but what I do is to right click in that and amend the URL to just /home/robin/ - that way I arrive at the top of my user space rather than in Documents

As we can see from the screen shot, you have customized Xdg user directories, Documents, Pictures, etc.. some way. In the fresh Q4OS installation the desktop link 'My Documents' points to '$HOME/Documents'.

#23 2017-02-23 08:52

bin

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

As we can see from the screen shot, you have customized Xdg user directories, Documents, Pictures, etc.. some way. In the fresh Q4OS installation the desktop link 'My Documents' points to '$HOME/Documents'.

Looking at this and reviewing the OP questions I can see that (s)he is going in via the My Computer desktop link.

To an ex-windows user this makes perfect sense as that is what most/many do.

This then gives you a duplicate file system appearance as shown on attached. I think anyone who is not familiar with Konq would find that a lot confusing.

Yes I do correct my folders structure so that it conforms to the standard Home>Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Templates, Videos

Attachments:
jpg konqueror2.jpg, Size: 72.35 KiB, Downloads: 589

#24 2017-02-23 10:12

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

... I think anyone who is not familiar with Konq would find that a lot confusing...

Yes, we agree. The possibility could be to ask TDE developers for modification by creating a bug report.

#25 2017-02-23 15:01

FlexQ4

Ohhhh Lord.

I am a little bit late with my re-post, because...
i spent the whole night with re-installing q4os several times, with several languages and so on, thinking it was a fault of my own...

So THANK YOU SO MUCH for not abandoning this and clearing up the situation !!

bin wrote:

Flex4Q - in the left hand side of the Konqueror display there is a column of icons starting with Bookmarks and going down to Services.
Part way down you have the Home Folder and next one down is System.
If you use the System shortcut then you get the behaviour you describe which can be a bit puzzling.
If instead you click on the Home Folder then you should find all is as you expect.
I wonder if perhaps you are using the My Computer link on the desktop - which opens the System folder.

This was exactly the situation!

bin wrote:

To an ex-windows user this makes perfect sense as that is what most/many do.

This then gives you a duplicate file system appearance as shown on attached. I think anyone who is not familiar with Konq would find that a lot confusing.

Yes indeed - VERY!
For me would be perfect (also) a link to "Home Folder" on the desktop - because beside "Documents", i've got there archives, programs, utilities and so on - i think i'll create such an additional shortcut to my desktop.

q4osteam wrote:

Yes, we agree. The possibility could be to ask TDE developers for modification by creating a bug report.

Please do so - not for me, but for YOUR "baby" and it's prospective success!

Board footer