You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-29 07:29

cpcnw
Website

Q4OS Advocacy?

I was just reading the thread below about popularity of Q4OS and how often mentioned as a good XP replacement / lightweight distro for older computers.

It suddenly struck me that I have no idea who is the team behind Q4OS?

I think it would be great to have an 'About Us' page on the website with pics & short Bio of the team - and an option to offer help / support ranging from a website link (paste this code - with as selection of Q4OS graphics) to contributor to the docs and devs team with some kind of roadmap for suggestions features not just for the OS but for the running of the website / forum / members etc?

If you want to be a Q4OS member, then you are one smile - now, what can you do to get involved?

It also might help to have the 'Dontations' page - I clicked current one and it doesn't seem to work?

Also, the website might do with a little updating - looks kinda basic right now...

All just my opinion smile

---
cpcnw
Q4OS User, member

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

#2 2016-03-29 08:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Q4OS Advocacy?

Thank you for your valuable suggestions, we would like to provide them all in the future. We are a small International team from central Europe, the main activities we provide in Germany and Czech Republic. We are searching some business partners to be able to build Q4OS as a perfect and professional operating system. We don't want to publish the detailed background of the project now, it will be released depending on our business dealings.

cpcnw wrote:

It also might help to have the 'Dontations' page - I clicked current one and it doesn't seem to work?

Please, give more detailed info. We receive donations time by time, so suppose the page works correctly.

#3 2016-03-30 04:32

cpcnw
Website

Thanks for your reply. Do you think there will be a 'commercial version' and a 'community version'? How will having a business deal effect the project? My perception of FOSS projects that fork into a business is that it isn't always the best outcome for the community that helped build them. How would you avoid this from happening?

Also, when you say 'a prefect professional OS' - will this be driven by community feature request or predefined goals or commercial needs?

Coming back to the topic: how about some 'merch' on say Cafepress?

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

#4 2016-03-30 16:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

cpcnw wrote:

Do you think there will be a 'commercial version' and a 'community version'?

No, we plan to keep current 'community' version and provide commercial add-ons.

cpcnw wrote:

How will having a business deal effect the project?

We believe, it will make possible to offer more mature and less buggy OS.

cpcnw wrote:

My perception of FOSS projects that fork into a business is that it isn't always the best outcome for the community that helped build them. How would you avoid this from happening?

There will be no fork. There is no reason to cancel the free version as the strong community is highly important for such kind of projects. Even we believe it would not be possible to keep Q4OS on commercial base only without strong community.

cpcnw wrote:

Also, when you say 'a prefect professional OS' - will this be driven by community feature request or predefined goals or commercial needs?

As said above, we need both in balance.

#5 2016-04-01 09:29

Rademes

cpcnw wrote:

I think it would be great to have an 'About Us' page on the website with pics & short Bio of the team - and an option to offer help / support ranging from a website link (paste this code - with as selection of Q4OS graphics) to contributor to the docs and devs team with some kind of roadmap for suggestions features not just for the OS but for the running of the website / forum / members etc?

I also think, it would be much better if developers provide more information about themselves. For now we have very very few information. I was confused, when I tried to advice Q4OS to one small company, and when Director asked me who made this OS I had almost nothing to answer. As result, they still use WinXP.

#6 2016-04-01 22:54

Dai_trying
Website

Personally I'm ok with the dev's wanting their privacy, after all we all "hide" behind pseudonyms and we don't have to fill in a questionnaire with our pets sex and DOB etc to use the product. And obviously I agree with CC's comments above smile

#7 2016-04-02 12:50

Rademes

crosscourt wrote:

Do you want to know their employment records, more personal info, or personalities?  That may be too much to ask, even though there have been some very well known developers like Texstar over at PCLinuxOS, for instance.

I do not want to know about their employment records, and personal info. Just a page like this: https://linuxmint.com/teams.php
I do not see anything bad about it.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-04-02 12:52)

#8 2016-04-02 15:59

cpcnw
Website

I agree with Rademes on this. How many times have you read in forums of foss projects whereby one [or maybe two] lead developers either quit or take a project in a different direction than the majority of the community expected based on past history and the whole thing either forks or comes to an end. Fluxbb / Punbb springs to mind straight away.

If the devs are saying: we will talk to you if you are a business only - how do they know that a forum member is not a suitable business partner?

Personally I always feel somewhat more confident when looking at a project website and can see real people behind it. You may argue that it makes no difference to the viability / longevity of a project and it might not - but if you are touting for business partners that's what it should look like! Its not the Wizard of Oz here!

I run a small [one man] business supporting small companies. For years I have used [and contributed to] https://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page which has a fantastic community around it. Some of the devs also contribute to [or have defected to]  ClearOS which I have stayed away from although it may provide some people with a model they prefer. I see SME as a great example of how foss should be done. The product is super stable and the lack of licence requirement has meant that I have been able to install at other small businesses and charities who would not have been able to afford it otherwise. In other words it has enabled me to provide services and make a living, and because of that I have made donations, bought discs and been active in helping people in the forums.

I think if you want people to feel part of something you have to provide an opportunity to participate as well as information they need to feel confident that it is worth investing time in.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Graham
www.cpcnw.co.uk

#9 2016-04-02 17:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We understand and agree with the opinions above, but there are simply some reasons to not reveal details yet. As we said, it will be published later, depending on business dealings and/or level of development.

#10 2016-04-08 04:20

bobby
Website

Not everyone is hidden smile

Life code should be like source code.......without proper syntax it won't work smile

#11 2016-10-18 10:01

argalon

Then? What is hidden and what is not?

#12 2017-08-02 02:26

crosscourt

Theres no need at this time for the devs to reveal themselves and certainly if they choose to establish business relationships that will occur naturally as needed.  As Q4OS popularity grows, it may become advantageous to reveal more but even in reviews and on various forums, few really care who the devs are except for their work with Q4OS.

Forgive my post as Im recreating a post in part that was originally part of this thread, thus Dai's post about my comments.

#13 2017-08-02 06:52

Dai_trying
Website

There are a few posts that look a little odd with your old posts removed, some of them it looks like I'm talking to myself big_smile

#14 2017-08-02 18:00

crosscourt

If you spot any of them point me towards them and Ill try to add a comment to make you look sane.  smile

#15 2017-08-03 10:02

Dai_trying
Website

I think it would take more than a comment to make me look sane big_smile but I will point out any I find smile

#16 2017-08-03 17:07

crosscourt

LOL! thanks  smile

#17 2017-08-04 10:31

johnrpm

I can see both sides here, the devs have every right to privacy, but also see the desire for a mission statement for the long term, I helped build a community once, then the dev went closed source, I felt betrayed, and would not be so quick to get involved in the future.
With other distros, Mint for example, most people feel secure that it will be around for the long term and would commit to it, I really like Q4os, but do not yet feel secure about the long term, and do not shout about it to others because of this, please understand that I am not criticising anyone here, just trying to explain how some may feel.

#18 2017-08-04 11:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

johnrpm wrote:

... but do not yet feel secure about the long term ...

Thank you for your point of view, we understand it, although partially only. Please, try to specify, what kind of information would make you feel more safe ?

Anyone can stop using Q4OS anytime and pick another distro, there is no threat of vendor lock-in. We assume, that providing a private info about developers will not significantly increase the real benefit for Q4OS users.

#19 2017-08-04 20:11

Jerome

q4osteam wrote:

Anyone can stop using Q4OS anytime and pick another distro, there is no threat of vendor lock-in.

I don't think johnrpm is worried about that, it's more a case of being concerned that Q4OS might suddenly disappear. You're right I don't think that private info about the developers would make much difference; I think he wants some statement of reassurance that Q4OS is in it for the long haul and isn't likely to pull the plug anytime soon. Of course guarantees are impossible in life, but perhaps a statement of intent, or something about your goals and how far you're progressing towards them?

That's my interpretation anyway, but I could be wrong.

#20 2017-08-04 22:06

crosscourt

As Jerome said there are no guarantees and even long term distros have gone away over time, Mepis being a good example.
Agree with the devs as anyone can pick another distro to use and private info wont make any real difference.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-08-04 22:09)

#21 2017-08-04 23:45

johnrpm

Thanks Jerome, you put it better than I could, I do not want or need to know any personal information about the developers, but maybe the coinage of their brains, I suppose only time will tell.
Yes anyone can pick another distro, just look at distrowatch and see the wide choice available, I have tried many over the years including mepis, and give credit to all the developers for their hard work, and donate to some that I like, I used ubuntu for some time but could not like unity, mint became a little bloated and sluggish on my ageing hardware, then I found Q4os, what's NOT to like about it, I suppose windows users feel no affinity with the OS, but linux users do, just trying to be constructive.

#22 2017-08-04 23:57

crosscourt

I appreciate everything devs do with their OS but the Linux ecosystem is so different that you dont always see brand loyalty. I think in many ways that is the strength of Linux as everyone has to be on their toes and try to create the best product possible. When you find that one distro that really fits your needs, support them and enjoy the ride.

In regards to Mint try the XFCE version which is far lighter than their other versions.

#23 2017-08-05 20:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jerome wrote:

Of course guarantees are impossible in life, but perhaps a statement of intent, or something about your goals and how far you're progressing towards them?

A goal of Q4OS should be to provide fast, rock stable and long term supported OS. We are trying to focus on making the OS as lightweight as possible, with minimal hardware requirements. Q4OS Orion, as well as Scorpion, edition will be supported for five years from the release date. The "stable" word means, when installed and configured, it just works for a long time with minimal maintenance and minimal extra support needed. We prefer the 'Debian' development model to keep the core system as immutable as possible. Most of applications, including desktop environments, in the Debian stable are maintained in their original major versions and receive necessary fixes only. It results in a certain and steady system, which users and developers could perfectly rely on.

We would like to get a strong business partner for us to be able to shift development to a much higher level, to be able to fix bugs and provide as perfect as possible OS. As we gain more resources, it will make sense to publish the background of the project in detail and provide as much transparency as possible. Nonetheless, just now, we want to preserve privacy for developers.

At the moment Q4OS is consolidated, it's growing and gaining new users. We are convinced it's on the right path and there is no reason to "pull the plug anytime soon".

#24 2017-08-05 21:51

crosscourt

Reviews indicate Q4OS is gaining popularity and is fast becoming one of the go to distros for Windows crossover users. In forums its mentioned all the  time to Windows users.  Its reputation as a very lightweight distro for use with older hardware is very strong and getting better.  Thats what caught my attention looking for a lightweight distro for much older hardware that was simple to use.

#25 2017-08-05 23:28

tlmiller76

crosscourt wrote:

Reviews indicate Q4OS is gaining popularity and is fast becoming one of the go to distros for Windows crossover users. In forums its mentioned all the  time to Windows users.  Its reputation as a very lightweight distro for use with older hardware is very strong and getting better.  Thats what caught my attention looking for a lightweight distro for much older hardware that was simple to use.

Makes sense, especially for XP users.  Trinity, being a fork of KDE3, looks very similar to windows, and is much faster on XP-era hardware than most anything else that's so feature complete.  Sure they could install FVWM or fluxbox or some other WM, but they're going to be in for a VERY difficult transition.  Meanwhile, Q4OS offers a very feature complete desktop in Trinity that runs nearly as well as a WM only installation.  If you have older hardware that can't handle even the lighter DE's like XFCE and LXQT, then Trinity is about as good as it gets.  I had hardware that truly was painful to use with full KDE Plasma 5, and Q4OS ran on it without a single issue.

I also recommend Q4OS for anyone converting chromebooks to linux laptops.  Most of them aren't exactly bristling with power, and Q4OS offers the opportunity to put a full desktop with all the options on there and still have fantastic performance.

q4os machine:  Dell Latitude E5250: Intel Core-i5 5200U/Intel HD5500/16 GB DDR3/256 GB ssd/Intel 7265 AC + BT 4.x/12.5" 1080P IPS touchscreen LCD

Board footer